Notices

One session down, more to go...

Old 01-10-2020, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One session down, more to go...

I went to my first session today with a mental health professional (psychologist). It went well I think. I have nothing to compare it to. Won't bore you all with the details but will say this, I AM justified in my feelings and was and have been treated very unfairly. So that was good. The other thing that made my smirk a little was as I was leaving and we shook hands he looked at me and said "you've had a very interesting life". Yes I have.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the first session went ok.

I had this idea when I started therapy that results would be immediate - but turned out some of the knots in me were harder to untie than others.

Don;t get discouraged if this happens to you as well Jeff

D
Old 01-10-2020, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad the first session went ok.

I had this idea when I started therapy that results would be immediate - but turned out some of the knots in me were harder to untie than others.

Don;t get discouraged if this happens to you as well Jeff

D
He said that I have very likely buried a lot of pain and hurt way down deep in my soul. He's scheduled me for 5 more sessions already. Now, I realize its a money thing too, but I will hang in there for awhile. I did most of the talking today as that is what he wanted, but I also want to know his game-plan at some point.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It depends on the therapist I think Jeff. Some will talk a lot, and others will let you do the talking.

I wouldn't expect to know anything much about a game plan until you two get to know each other a little more

rooting for you man

D
Old 01-10-2020, 10:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, he'll have to get to know you a bit more before he can formulate a game plan. Give him a chance and see how it goes.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know, I knew the psychiatrist I am seeing was the right one for me within 15 minutes of meeting him. I was right. For Jeff, I wish you the best.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're off to a great start, Jeff!
Old 01-11-2020, 12:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
He said that I have very likely buried a lot of pain and hurt way down deep in my soul. He's scheduled me for 5 more sessions already. Now, I realize its a money thing too, but I will hang in there for awhile. I did most of the talking today as that is what he wanted, but I also want to know his game-plan at some point.
That depends on what you want from therapy; what your expectations are.

It takes time.

It's a natural part of the therapeutic process to feel as though you're getting worse instead of better. This can be a crucial moment that often reveals one's level of commitment to the process. It can be a motivating challenge as well.

It's also one of the worst times to stop. That and when we convince ourselves that we can do the work on our own. If that worked, we wouldn't be seeing a therapist.

In my experience, and in the end, it's very often the relationship that heals.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am glad it went well Jeff. I too encourage you to hang in there, it does take time.
Do you like to read? Someone here once recommended the following book and I have read it many times over. it gives insight to the therapeutic process but also shows us that we are all dealing with things, things that come down to some basic givens in life (according to the author, a psychologist).
I didn't read it to understand my own therapy, but more a s a novel that gave me comfort.

It is called "Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy" by Irvin D. Yalom. Beautiful book.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
That depends on what you want from therapy; what your expectations are.

It takes time.

It's a natural part of the therapeutic process to feel as though you're getting worse instead of better. This can be a crucial moment that often reveals one's level of commitment to the process. It can be a motivating challenge as well.

It's also one of the worst times to stop. That and when we convince ourselves that we can do the work on our own. If that worked, we wouldn't be seeing a therapist.

In my experience, and in the end, it's very often the relationship that heals.
Yes! My experience as well. And I'm really proud of you, Jeff. When I talk about embracing stuff like what I bolded, it is sure not what I worried or quite naturally felt foreign to when I first saw a therapist 20+ yrs ago!

And one reason they are helpful is that good ones come to exactly the conclusions yours said at the end of a session! They are trained and well versed in recognizing. Then working with you to heal is the "game plan" - tho I really suggest reframing that concept because I don't see an ultimate-I'm-cured-endgame here. We get better, heal, learn to cope and move forward better understanding and equipped.

Do stick with it. I have found it hard to find the money at times but always worth it in my sobriety. One session at a time
Old 01-11-2020, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am blessed with a great therapist. She makes me dive deep into the legitimacy of all of my feelings even in the long shadow of my illegitimate, childish, and at times criminal, actions. She refers to my AV as my "little boy." LOL!! That makes sense to me. Don't be afraid Thomas. Your therapist should make you feel very uncomfortable from time to time if they are good at their jobs. Sorting out our nag-headed heads is daunting sometimes.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good work going to see the psychologist. A good doc is worth their weight in gold, IMO. The first session is the getting to know you session. I’m sure that your dr will have more of a game plan the next time you see him.

For what it’s worth, I always felt like I needed a solid plan with a straight line to “cured”. Funny enough, my sessions haven’t worked that way. Sometimes I feel like the session has gone off the track but, turns out, that’s where the therapy really needed to go. At times, it’s like a leap of faith. I just have to trust the dr and the process.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeff, I'm so glad that you are doing this and that you feel good about things, so far. I hope that things work out well and I'm glad you are sticking with it.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff,

I’m glad your first session went well. I also think it’s good that you’ve got some additional sessions scheduled.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
"Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy" by Irvin D. Yalom. Beautiful book.
I agree.

Irvin Yalom was heavily influenced by existentialism, focusing on themes of despair, alienation, authenticity, and lack of meaning or purpose in life. All critical matters in contemporary life.

Along with a few very good supervisors/role models I had along the way, Yalom persuaded me to pay more attention to the relationship in the room. A relationship that can evolve into a delivery system for self-acceptance.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Atlast9999 View Post
For what it’s worth, I always felt like I needed a solid plan with a straight line to “cured”. Funny enough, my sessions haven’t worked that way. Sometimes I feel like the session has gone off the track but, turns out, that’s where the therapy really needed to go. At times, it’s like a leap of faith. I just have to trust the dr and the process.
Nothing in nature grows in a straight line.

A very common and often crucial struggle for everyone is about what we do after things don't go the way we planned. Which for many people is most of the time; a chronic condition for others.

The Universe into which we are all born is indifferent, and often hostile, towards individual success. Disappointment lurks around every corner. We attack ourselves with our own thinking and punish ourselves for the feelings we experience.

We need to be much kinder with who we are and with whom we want to be. I don't know of a better way to start.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We attack ourselves with our own thinking and punish ourselves for the feelings we experience.

We need to be much kinder with who we are and with whom we want to be.

powerful words right there. I am an infant in the world I just walked into (therapy etc,,,). I am open minded and honest. we'll see what my future holds?

As I believe I mentioned before, I am so happy that my feelings are valid and I wasn't just being a baby about the whole situation. Big relief.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great post
Old 01-12-2020, 02:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I wish I had the courage to go to a psychologist! I don't think that will ever happen.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Having been so extensively victimized by your family, your feelings are absolutely valid. Far from acting like a baby, I think you have risen up and tried to right those wrongs, even to your own great detriment and at risk to your own freedom. Hopefully understanding how wrong they were, and how deeply all of that hurt you, will allow you to find peace.