Notices

Old 01-09-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I used Kratom to get off of opioids. Used Kratom for about 9 months and have just tapered off. I'm on day 6 clean. This Kratom stuff is no frigging joke.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome!

I occasionally see posts where folks are asking about using Kratom to get off opiates. I don't have first hand knowledge, like you do, but I am adamant about steering them away.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I hear it's a miracle for opiates too. I wish I would have known about it before opiates took my Dad's life.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I lost one brother to heroin and have another that had struggled with opiates for close to a decade. I don't know much about kratom but it does seem to have helped him stay off opiates for a couple years now. I don't know if he still takes it, obviously I really wish he was just 100% off everything.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, CrystalBlue. I quit heroin via the methadone route some years ago. I don't know anything about Kratom. I don't think it was around when I quit. But I do know that day 6 clean is awesome. This is a great forum with a lot of love. I hope you stick around.

So sorry, Cantsleep123 and Babycat. Glad to hear your other brother is doing well though Babycat.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Crystal Blue - welcome
Day 6 is awesome.

Like Carl, no first hand knowledge but I've seen enough threads to know folks on it find it can be addictive and create new problems. I'm glad you got off it.

D
Old 01-09-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CrystalBlue View Post
I used Kratom to get off of opioids. Used Kratom for about 9 months and have just tapered off. I'm on day 6 clean. This Kratom stuff is no frigging joke.
I was addicted to that stuff. You are right that it's no friggin joke. They gave me medications similar to what they give people withdrawing from narcotics. Congratulations on being 6 days clean.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I am now 33 days off of Kratom. I just want to say that for me, Kratom moved me off of a 25 yr prescription opioid dependency which was legitimately prescribed for real pain. When I started taking Kratom I thought it was a godsend but the longer I was on it the more clear it became that it was just a substitute for what I had given up. The active components in Kratom bind to the opioid receptors and it is every bit as addictive as pain meds or any of the other substances. I had no idea it would create dependence in the way that it did. I am glad to be free of it.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One more thing.....I used MJ to help ease me thru kratom withdrawals. I'm an MJ micro doser. I've microdosed for the past three months from 1-5 times a day. I'm at the point now where it's time to drop the MJ but I am struggling with that currently.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update. I was using a lot of Kratom towards the end, and the withdrawals were horrid. I was treated with medications used to treat opiod withdrawals. Giving up alcohol was a walk in the park for me compared to giving up Kratom.

Mayo Clinic studied Kratom (study available online) and described it as "Unsafe and Ineffective".

Congratulations for being free of it!! Thanks for the update. Best wishes to you.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, I don't know much about that drug but I'm sure there are people here who were addicted to that too. Good luck.