Notices

How are you staying sober today?

Old 01-09-2020, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How are you staying sober today?

I recently admitted the I am powerless. I have been on this merry-go-round for a long time and want to know simple strategies to stay in the now, remember the goal, and how you are staying sober for the next 24 hrs. Thx
Old 01-09-2020, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Working (at my job), working step 1 for about 30 minutes when I get some free time, and going to a meeting tonight.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had cravings last evening, but then I realized I was hungry. That acronym HALT is very helpful. (Make sure you are not hungry, angry, lonely, or tired.)
Old 01-09-2020, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Halt

Yes, I have to remember that. I often get hangry and don't realize that is the problem, the world is not going to end. Keep it simple
Old 01-09-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Concentrating on putting healthy food in my body, about to watch a documentary on problem drinking, and after that I’m going to keep myself busy by purging my closet! By then people should be filtering in from school/work and then I won’t just be here alone with my thoughts That’s the worst part of my days for me.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Staying busy is key for me. Too much time on my hands isn't a good thing. Boredom is my worst enemy and is a trigger for me.....
Old 01-09-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's been so long that I don't do much of anything. I do practice an attitude of emotional health, and I keep this in mind, but it's pretty much my default state at this time.

However, early recovery required more concentration. I basically thought about it all the time. You are changing how you live your life from an unhealthy default that took years to become ingrained, to something new. What I remember from back then was unwavering commitment to sobriety, vigilance, and education mostly through constant contact with other survivors.

Initially, this was not easy, and I wasn't sure anything was going to work. Before quitting, I went through the alcoholic's failing attempts to adopt half measures. It was a long period of fooling around and stalemate.

How does one commit, be vigilant, and become steadfast? I recognized it when it finally came, but telling someone how to get there seems to be a time honored exercise in futility. I can say, "Just Do It," but it's going to take more than a new pair of Nike running shoes.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Self-care is key for me. I'm drinking water with lemon slices. Eating 3 decent meals. Exercising in some way, even if it's only 10 min. And flossing my teeth. If I do those things in a day I am not drinking. If I'm gulping poison, none of that happens.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm one of the unusual ones who is loving 'boredom' - actually I should call it 'peace'. After decades of career, relationships, children, helping others, I've withdrawn from all of it and it's just what I need. Means I can concentrate on the self care others have mentioned. So, good food, hot tea, water, Netflix, dog walking, seeing my family and friends as I want to. I guess one day I will rejoin the rat race but for now whatever it takes to stay sober I will do it.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA Member

meetings
sponsor
steps
service
higher power

ive never been a big thinker/ figure outer/ analyzer or interpreter

just a direction follower

i never needed to ask how in the hell showing up to the meeting early, making coffee and then staying after to clean up will keep me sober

it just does

Old 01-09-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I see it as two distinct things:

1) Staying sober
2) Not being miserable about it

I stay sober by not drinking alcohol. Elementary, I know, but I am frequently surprised at how many people struggle with that concept. "How do I stop drinking?" (Ummm...stop pouring alcohol into your face!)

Not being a miserable SOB about it - well that's another story. That took a lot of work. That's the part where I struggled mightily. A healthy dose of SR Community, physical activity, therapy, finding new things to do, and meditation have ALL helped.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 01-09-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm staying sober by not picking up that first drink.....
Old 01-09-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!
I am staying sober by not buying it, not being around it, and living my life sober
Old 01-09-2020, 09:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had my answer ready, then reading through these responses, I see it almost looks like I'm copying from others.

Be that as it may, some of the things that have worked for me lo these 8 days have been: mindfulness meditation (more and longer sessions than usual, including falling asleep more than before even though I'm sleeping pretty well at night), the gym (and walking there (9 minutes) instead of driving (5 mins)), lol I have been flossing more as someone else said but I don't think I would have thought to put that here (guess that goes under the category of taking care of ourselves in general but then so do the other items on these lists), lots of my usual coffee (no later than 2 or 3 p.m.), plus good old tap water instead of a beer or cocktail or 3 before dinner, back to eau-de-tap at dinner instead of wine, herbal tea in the evening (hydrate, hydrate, hydrate) instead of ... well y'all get the idea, Netflix (did all 3 seasons of The Crown, and just started Stranger Things), eating well (down 5 lbs. or so in the week, just another 25 to go), trying to be gentle on myself for the to-dos I have yet to do (that list is longer than this one).

And what really came to mind first was: browsing through (or I should say exploring) this website, which I just discovered four days ago, and being inspired and encouraged by others' stories and successes. Even people's setbacks, come to think of it, cuz if they are here telling about them, then (1) they are being honest to us and (more important) to themselves, and (2) they are, or are contemplating, climbing back on board.

Like one of the other newbies, I am not usually one to post anything on line (I quit facecrook years ago), so I'm a little surprised to find myself doing so here, but hey, now I can add that to the list.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nez

Through the honest self reflection that if I drink, I know what will happen and that is that I don't know what will happen, other than it will end up in self imposed hell. It will never end pleasantly because I can't control my drinking. Also by remembering there is absolutely nothing wrong with not drinking. Absolutely nothing!
Old 01-09-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Remember that feelings don't equal reality.

Our mind can seem like a battlefield, but if you look out the window .... crickets.

I'll assume you have shelter, food, water and we know you have internet access and probably other forms of entertainment, access to transport etc etc

Remember that someone in Africa is walking 5 miles each way this morning to collect muddy water and later they will look for firewood, hoping they don't run into a snake, lion or crocodile. Possibly they buried a child last week who died from malnutrition and they will sleep on the ground tonight under the stars.

Be thankful for what you have.

Formulate an action plan, be prepared to get out of your comfort zone.

If nothing changes nothing changes.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This! Me, too!

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
It's been so long that I don't do much of anything. I do practice an attitude of emotional health, and I keep this in mind, but it's pretty much my default state at this time.

However, early recovery required more concentration. I basically thought about it all the time. You are changing how you live your life from an unhealthy default that took years to become ingrained, to something new. What I remember from back then was unwavering commitment to sobriety, vigilance, and education mostly through constant contact with other survivors.

Initially, this was not easy, and I wasn't sure anything was going to work. Before quitting, I went through the alcoholic's failing attempts to adopt half measures. It was a long period of fooling around and stalemate.

How does one commit, be vigilant, and become steadfast? I recognized it when it finally came, but telling someone how to get there seems to be a time honored exercise in futility. I can say, "Just Do It," but it's going to take more than a new pair of Nike running shoes.
What DriGuy said!

And to add a bit - building those muscles so things are reflexive now (from how I spend my time to who I spend it with, from what I eat to my AA meetings...), at the start it was doing what was in front of me even if it didn't make sense. I had to decide there must be reasons people told me to go to a meeting every day, or say "no" to social invitations, or hydrate. So much goes into getting sober and I also had to believe people that said I couldn't figure it all out right away, nor expect immediate benefits and sure footing!

Now, I focus on emotional sobriety like Dri Guy said - and that does sometimes mean tending to specific problems using my therapist, or just daily thought decisions. Changing "can't" to "get" was a huge thing I learned to do:
Change "I can't drink" to "I get to wake up feeling rested" or "I can't hang out with [ ]" to "I get to figure out who I actually like hanging out with and have stuff in common besides alcohol" And lots more of this stuff.

There is absolutely nothing in my life that isn't better because I am sober. Life is not perfect but it is perfectly imperfect to me!
Old 01-09-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Listening to a few podcasts has helped me today. Has helped keep me focused, and a reminder that I am by no means alone.