Notices

60 Minutes - Psychedelics to Treat Addiction?

Old 01-10-2020, 08:22 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post

My brain must remain healthy if I'm going to stand a chance of staying sober.

O

That comment so relates to me. Thank you for saying that.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
The guy was on the verge of suicide and you're disheartened that his life was saved by a drug? Yeah, that sounds dogmatic, for sure.

I dunno. It's tragic to me that people tout the miracles of sobriety while they're secretly suffering. I think that's something we all need to work on - making it safe for people to talk about how hard it can be. How life often doesn't become "happy, joyous and free" simply by virtue of working the steps or stopping drinking/drugging however it's accomplished, that there's often something more going on that really warrants professional intervention. And that doesn't mean the person who is suffering has failed.
That mentality is what makes me question my involvement in AA. If a person stays sober through the responsible use of Xanax, I applaud them. SO MANY in AA insist you can't be sober if you use Xanax. This very thing happened to me tonight:

I attended a meeting I'd never been to before, but knew a few people there. After the meeting, one of the home members and sponsors approached me, he wanted to hear my story. The gist was that, if I had prescription to Xanax, I'd never even consider a replace. He immediately and matter of factly stated that's not true because I'm an addict and I'd just be addicted to Xanax. Alcoholics can't take any drug (says the guy who was smoking as he said this). I watched to punch him in the throat on the spot for his self righteous presumptions. But I stayed calm and told him my story. PTSD, panic attacks, I don't even think about alcohol until I have a panic attack that mimics my near death experience. I know for fact I'd not resort to booze if I had Xanax to bring me down to base level. I know you can't relate to that, therefore you can't understand. The same way I don't understand how you feel knowing you're addicted to every substance and struggle on a daily basis. The topic was changed pretty quickly after that. It wasn't confrontational, as we continued to talk about random things for another hour and a half.

I know it was already said a page or two ago, but obviously the narrow minded arrogance exhibited by this guy tonight struck a nerve that was not dissimilar from what I've read from some on here.

That's not an attack on anyone, I just had to vent about that along with a few deep breaths.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that happened to you abgator.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
That mentality is what makes me question my involvement in AA. If a person stays sober through the responsible use of Xanax, I applaud them. SO MANY in AA insist you can't be sober if you use Xanax. This very thing happened to me tonight:

I attended a meeting I'd never been to before, but knew a few people there. After the meeting, one of the home members and sponsors approached me, he wanted to hear my story. The gist was that, if I had prescription to Xanax, I'd never even consider a replace. He immediately and matter of factly stated that's not true because I'm an addict and I'd just be addicted to Xanax. Alcoholics can't take any drug (says the guy who was smoking as he said this). I watched to punch him in the throat on the spot for his self righteous presumptions. But I stayed calm and told him my story. PTSD, panic attacks, I don't even think about alcohol until I have a panic attack that mimics my near death experience. I know for fact I'd not resort to booze if I had Xanax to bring me down to base level. I know you can't relate to that, therefore you can't understand. The same way I don't understand how you feel knowing you're addicted to every substance and struggle on a daily basis. The topic was changed pretty quickly after that. It wasn't confrontational, as we continued to talk about random things for another hour and a half.

I know it was already said a page or two ago, but obviously the narrow minded arrogance exhibited by this guy tonight struck a nerve that was not dissimilar from what I've read from some on here.

That's not an attack on anyone, I just had to vent about that along with a few deep breaths.
The guy I'm working with right now has zero problems with people taking prescriptions for legit reasons. He's not self righteous at all and basically told me to take what I need from AA and leave the rest. Don't listen to people that try to give you medical advice while self medicating with cigarettes.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Abgator- in my experience it always gets divisive and heated when people get really engaged in this topic - bc it's hard to stay objective about each person's right to choose what works for them. I've definitely fallen into that temptation when hearing my former sponsor, for example, talk about drugs and alcohol, omitting how she started smoking pot. I, on the other had, do take ativan. I have no business criticizing anyone for anything - or judging their choices.

We don't get to decide what sobriety means to other people. I hope you don't let that junk deter any good stuff you get from AA.

As far as miracle drugs or brain surgery or future medical developments? Not for me. And it goes to my absolute conviction that my alcoholism isn't about alcohol. That was the tool and "solution." Dealing with the rest of stuff and living the way I do now - I'm not gonna gamble that on any other "solution" than the one I've found
Old 01-11-2020, 05:42 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

This discussion is becoming circular.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
This discussion is becoming circular.
Yes, but also quite fun. There are some very intelligent arguments being made here.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're merging into the recovery methods debate lane a bit, so its probably best to refocus on the original topic.

Thanks

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 01-11-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
~sb

Everyone's life is a bit different and our paths are different. Who are we to judge another person's life? Don't we have a hard enough time figuring out our own path?

Live and Let Live
Old 01-11-2020, 06:50 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Right about the 10.3-minute mark they talk about how the drug quiets a part of the mind that thinks about ourselves and tells the story. That's what meditation does too. My weird stuff happened during a PAWS episode and it makes sense that my brain probably had shut some of that off while it repaired. The air felt "thin". I don't know how else to describe it. At my 4 month mark, I forgot to drink water and got dehydrated because I couldn't feel thirst for a few days so the shut off thing is consistent.
I'm really glad this thread was started. It's helped me a lot to remember that time because some negative thought patterns have started to creep back in. I tell myself stories and stories about stories and stories about other people's stories until I convince myself that a person is their beliefs or their actions and judge them accordingly like that has anything to do with their value.

“Quiet the mind, and the soul will speak.”
Old 01-12-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Abgator- in my experience it always gets divisive and heated when people get really engaged in this topic - bc it's hard to stay objective about each person's right to choose what works for them. I've definitely fallen into that temptation when hearing my former sponsor, for example, talk about drugs and alcohol, omitting how she started smoking pot. I, on the other had, do take ativan. I have no business criticizing anyone for anything - or judging their choices.

We don't get to decide what sobriety means to other people. I hope you don't let that junk deter any good stuff you get from AA.

As far as miracle drugs or brain surgery or future medical developments? Not for me. And it goes to my absolute conviction that my alcoholism isn't about alcohol. That was the tool and "solution." Dealing with the rest of stuff and living the way I do now - I'm not gonna gamble that on any other "solution" than the one I've found
No, it has not deterred me from AA. There's always going to be someone who projects their problems and difficulties onto others. Most of the time I enjoy AA and I'll continue to go on a mostly daily basis.

I don't judge on what keeps people sober either. I know for fact that I'd never touch a drink again if I get a script for Xanax or anything to treat my occasional panic attack. Now that I've been officially diagnosed with PTSD, I have that possibility at my psychiatrist appt tomorrow. I've had it before and almost always had a full bottle because I only used it for acute attacks.

As for treatments, we should keep an open mind. Drug based, I absolutely understand the trepidation. Completely natural, I'm extremely hopeful that the EMDR therapy I begin next week will fix my neurotransmitters and resolve the panic. It's done it for so many others.

Hope is a beautiful thing I've not felt in years.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:33 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

"Hope is a beautiful thing I have not felt in years."

AHH! Yes, so spot on and definitely one of the biggest gifts of sobriety.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
"Hope is a beautiful thing I have not felt in years."

AHH! Yes, so spot on and definitely one of the biggest gifts of sobriety.
It really is. Whether drinking or in the withdrawal stage, it seems nearly impossible to see anything in a positive light. An example is that for most of my life, I had some kind of belief in God, primarily as a Deist. After my wife left me and I started to spiral, within a year I downgraded to agnostic and then to atheist. Even though I still relapse every 2 or 3 months (sometimes I'm sober longer), I'm sober enough in accumulation to see now that I was never a true atheist. I was just so filled with anger, hate, self loathing, self pity...everything that alcohol wants to make you feel to remove all hope in your life.

And without hope, you're pretty screwed, IMO.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
Even though I still relapsed every 2 or 3 months
Hey, abgator, I put it in the past.
You can too.
That's what hope does for us.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:17 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

The interesting thing is it sounds like you could get all the positive effects of psychedelics from meditation. It would take years of practise I imagine, but also sounds much safer.

(And sorry Dee I forgot all my details of my previous account in a stupid binge. Hope it's ok if I use this one?)
Old 01-12-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hope is a rope.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am interested in the potential therapeutic uses of these drugs in a controlled setting after careful psychiatric screening of patients.

When one suffers from chronic depression, or alcoholism, their life loses hope and purpose. If a one time drug experience can help someone whom is mired in addiction see that there is still a light shining at the end of the day and that life can still have meaning, whom am I to tell them no? If a sense of purpose in an individual can be rekindled via these substances, they may be in a stronger position to face and overcome their addiction or depression. A second chance at life is a wonderful thing.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:17 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I didn't watch the video, maybe later.

Medicines' doesn't necessary mean treatment and I would say the same for psychedelics even if one chooses to label psychedelics as medication. Millions take blood pressure medication to relax vessels and remove fluid through the kidneys all while pumping there body full of fast foods its not treatment or cure you can only relax and or stretch vessels to a certain point. I've always referred to as "band aid pharmaceuticals" make a mess and clean up half. Another analogy would be firemen creating fires to justify there existence or profession.

I truly don't want to derail the topic, I just see the use of certain medications and "treatments" as band aids - make a mess clean up half of it.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:22 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I searched psychedelics in this forum (new here) and found this older thread.

I read during my research on this topic, that the guy who started AA actually got sober after an acid trip. 🤷‍♀️ Anyone else read that?
Old 01-20-2021, 03:43 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an 'AAer' but I've read around a bit.
I believe BillW's experiences with LSD started in the 1950s, which, in my understanding, was long after he got sober,

D