Notices

Sober for 56 days, but I have no energy!

Old 01-06-2020, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober for 56 days, but I have no energy!

I just feel lethargic and I want to sleep most of the time. Is this normal? I have been prescribed an SSRI, which could be a factor.

For the record:

- No alcohol since 11 November 2019
- No nicotine since 16 November 2019
- No valium since 30 November 2019

I began taking an SSRI on 5 December 2019.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you sleeping well? I haven't noticed a decrease in energy since quitting (29 days) and I'm also on an SSRI.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cantsleep123 View Post
Are you sleeping well? I haven't noticed a decrease in energy since quitting (29 days) and I'm also on an SSRI.
I'm off work at the moment, so my sleep pattern is quite irregular. However I would estimate I am getting 7-9 hours sleep each day.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How's your food and exercise? Sleep?

Usually one or all of those three things need attention in early sobriety.

I can't take SSRIs or other anti-anxiety or antidepressants. They just completely blunt my emotions and energy levels.

If you are on a new one, maybe discuss this with your doctor. Not all antidepressants work for all people and some side effects make a particular one not worth it (IMO, of course.)
Old 01-06-2020, 11:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
How's your food and exercise? Sleep?

Usually one or all of those three things need attention in early sobriety.

I can't take SSRIs or other anti-anxiety or antidepressants. They just completely blunt my emotions and energy levels.

If you are on a new one, maybe discuss this with your doctor. Not all antidepressants work for all people and some side effects make a particular one not worth it (IMO, of course.)
I'm trying to eat healthily, and I have been drinking carrot juice, making soup, etc. As stated above I am sleeping 7-9 hours a night, but it's irregular. Additionally, I have been cycling 20 km on my exercise bike most days (50 mins, approx).
Old 01-06-2020, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on 56 days! Good start to 2020 for sure.

7-9 hours is pretty strong, imo and from what I went thru - even if irregular. I was tired for a long time tho I was able to go back to an active server job and do fine. Naps were necessary for me, short or long, and around restaurant work hours. Doing all the good things you mention (and I'd add, staying on your meds as diff people stabilize differently, if you will) on top of staying sober and clean is the way to go.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great job on 56 days! Good start to 2020 for sure.

7-9 hours is pretty strong, imo and from what I went thru - even if irregular. I was tired for a long time tho I was able to go back to an active server job and do fine. Naps were necessary for me, short or long, and around restaurant work hours. Doing all the good things you mention (and I'd add, staying on your meds as diff people stabilize differently, if you will) on top of staying sober and clean is the way to go.
Thanks! I have lost ~10 lbs since stopping, despite also having given up smoking. I have just read this on an alcohol recovery website, which might be a possible explanation:

I had seventy pound, easily… to get to the ideal weight that I wanna be.
I’ve lost 30…
But by losing all that weight, it’s releasing all the toxins from the cellulite in your body.
Your body hasn’t got the option of trapping the toxins into the fat anymore, so it has to deal with it… it has to release them in some way, and when it’s releasing them it’s diverting resources that it would otherwise give you to keep yourself going.
It might also explain why my psoriasis hasn't improved.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It was about 100 days when I noticed a big shift forward in a lot of areas, including energy. And by 6 mo I had people doing double takes if they hadn't seen me since I got sober, especially bc of my skin and hair. It will get better if you keep going!
Old 01-06-2020, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It seems I am not alone, there are a few old threads where people complain of tiredness:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ing-tired.html (3 1/2 months sober...Feeling...TIRED.)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-all-time.html (Nine weeks sober and exhausted all the time!)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-tired.html (4 months sober and very tired)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ely-tired.html (Over 7 months sober and still extremely tired)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...need-hope.html (Tiredness sleepiness 4 months in, need hope)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...3-fatigue.html (Fatigue)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...tiredness.html (Exaushtion and tiredness)

and there are more!

That's reassuring.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My damaged bod is stil finding a balance after so many years abusing it. Tiredness is part of it....I think it is just a matter of plugging away...it does get better with time. If you have concerns, do see your GP.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I got sober, I still had a family to support with 4 little kids.

I had to fall back on truck driving after blowing out a high paid exec job.

60 hr weeks were needed to pay the bills.

I lived on coffee and those awful energy drinks.

First year is damn tough like that.

Often I was home by 7pm and in bed by 7.30.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Auchies, interesting take on the weight loss. I’m an early 20 days in and have seen a dramatic drop in energy. It didn’t come until I start losing weight. Didn’t lose any the first two weeks but I’m now losing a pound a day by living like a normal human. That’s when the energy loss really kicked in.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
Auchies, interesting take on the weight loss. I’m an early 20 days in and have seen a dramatic drop in energy. It didn’t come until I start losing weight. Didn’t lose any the first two weeks but I’m now losing a pound a day by living like a normal human. That’s when the energy loss really kicked in.
I did a bit more research and found a lot of articles which substantiated the hypothesis. Good luck.