Notices

Insomnia 😂

Old 01-05-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia 😂

Hi All

Day 3 here , didn’t post when quit as been here loads of day ones and then drank

determined this time , day 1 was horrific , the withdrawal was awful which has convinced me I have a major problem , knew that anyway I guess !

anyway , this insomnia is horrid ..I’ve forgot how to get to sleep without passing out ! Yesterday was 4am ..it’s now 1.30 am and wide awake !

i don’t feel at all tired on lack of sleep though but it’s bugging me

any tipsters ?

thanks!
Old 01-05-2020, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Exercise early in the day, don't use any screens 2 hrs before bed time, only use your bed for sleep (and sex), keep your bedroom cool, dark, and quiet, and go to bed/get up at the same time every day. You can also try melatonin, valerian root, l-tryotophan, magnesium, and zinc (discuss this with your doc first as some of these supplements interact with meds). You can also ask your doc for sleep meds but I've had varied success with them. If you're still having trouble after a while you can look into cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia. I've been dealing with it long before alcohol became a problem (I used alcohol to help with this and it ended poorly). You can also try regular meditation to help calm you before bed. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just got to ride it out. It will improve. Your body is adjusting. My sleep pattern flipped completely for a while. I was sleeping at 8am and waking at 3pm. Some days getting no sleep at all. But, it will get better.

I didn't try to force sleep. If I was wide awake I'd clean, or read, or play a game. I spent so much time just sitting on Fortnite in the creative mode building random things. Was just something to keep me busy and beat the bordem/agitation that comes with insomnia.

Congrats on day 3! Look forward to seeing your day 7
Old 01-05-2020, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Having the same problem rainyengland. It's now 1:42 am here in Buckinghamshire

When I do fall asleep I then can't wake up 😂
Old 01-05-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's a mutt of a thing.

I listened to a lot of XA speakers talks and after 3-4 weeks, it started to get better, then around the 2 month mark, I was sleeping normally again.

It does usually sort itself out.

Personally, I'd only resort to sleep meds if it shows no improvement in the next 2 months.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
It's a mutt of a thing.

I listened to a lot of XA speakers talks and after 3-4 weeks, it started to get better, then around the 2 month mark, I was sleeping normally again.

It does usually sort itself out.

Personally, I'd only resort to sleep meds if it shows no improvement in the next 2 months.
Agreed. Most of them suck and when they don't work it's extremely miserable.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back RainyEngland

I think it's part of the withdrawal process - I wouldn't sleep a wink the first night and then got a little better each nigh after that - a week to ten days usually saw me find a new normal with sleep.

I just waited it out- didn't take any drugs.

D
Old 01-05-2020, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 01-05-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The hell I went through getting clean faded. Your post and others reminded me.

Why I would ever do that to myself now knowing all of my problems were created or made worse by my drinking.

Sleep came sometimes initially. I took no pills, but drank gallons of sleepy tea and tried all other otc aids suggested here. I woke up with red eyes and headaches for months as my body normalized chemically.

Time was my healer.

I was on the brink of insanity. I am sure if I told the Dr. everything I felt, I would have been given some drugs. I did go to a Dr. after 2 years clean.

When I did go, I told them I don't drink. I gave it up for my health. I have since been given a full check up and had all sorts of tests.

I take bp meds that are given to non drinkers.

For me the options are either don't drink and learn to live without booze or drink and die an insane early death.

Pretty simple really, but quitting has been easier said than done.

Hope this helps in some way.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I lay as still as possible and listened to soft music or AA speakers. I wasn't working in early sobriety, so I didn't have to be anywhere (other than my 7 am meeting).

Sleep finally came, in time.

give time time and heal well
Old 01-05-2020, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I had some insomnia a few years ago, my doctor prescribed trazodone. It's not a habit-forming sleep med, but rather a mild anti-depressant that also helps with sleep. Some folks feel sleepy in the morning after taking it. If I allowed at least 8 hours for sleep, I did not have that.

No question that exercise helps a lot with sleep.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 3 RainyEngland reading used to help me a lot in the early days, some nights were just super crap and even with the lights out and everything off nothing seemed to work

I started meditating with binaural beats especially delta waves that alone genuinely helps me on a bad night's sleep

Should of used it last night myself as I was up at 4.30 because of it and I'm in the middle of year 6 and I still have bad night's sleep I think everyone does but are too afraid to say it but I don't mind I'm not from the brady bunch where everything is perfect and everyone is always happy .. nobody is

I have bad days and bad night's some days but you wouldn't know it looking at me you'd probably think why is he dressed head to toe in in black ... It's Monday I'm in morning !

Last edited by Soberwolf; 01-06-2020 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Again me
Old 01-06-2020, 01:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did take melatonin until my sleep was back on schedule.

It did help me
Old 01-06-2020, 01:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had insomnia too. Sleeping better now.

​​​​​​Long walks during the day helps. Meditation before bed. There are videos on YouTube that help people fall asleep.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your body is adjusting to having no alcohol in it. It will take a few days (all going well) to adjust to it and get back into a regular sleeping pattern, I'm only going by my own experience now. Maybe talk to your Doc down the line if it's still an issue. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just seized the opportunity RainyE. Living in Day 47 here and sleep is still ****, get's a little better each night. But after I had been sober for a few days, I decided I was going to lie in my bed, because you are still getting rest that way, and just try to let it wash over me that even though drowsy, I was clear, calm, quiet and could hear myself think. I also took so much pleasure, still do in fact, in the fact that I was going to feel just fine in the morning regardless. Anyway, I tried to make it something positive. From what I have been learning, sleep is one of the very last functions of the body to return to normal upon sobriety. Months and months in some cases.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Rainy, I’m on day 20 and have brought this up a couple times in the forum. I don’t think I got a single response from anyone that said they didn’t go through the same thing when quitting. My sleep is still out of whack. I can sleep 1 hour at night or 11.

Last night was an 11 hour night and makes a world of difference in daily productivity. This was also the first time I took Unisom since getting sober. It’s an over the counter sleep aid. Look into it if you want but consult a doctor before you put ANYTHING in your body at the stage you are at.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for Replies and advice

I downloaded a app that read book and sent you off to sleep and think it worked , well woke up with pods still in !

to be honest at moment being tired is hell lot better than being drunk or hungover

need to keep off phone when go to bed for sure , I’m becoming Amazon best customer buying stuff I don’t need nor can afford ! 🙈
Old 01-06-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hang in there rainyengland, it will get better.

I don't have any tips as I didn't have much insomnia. In fact I had a very hard time getting out of bed early on and the 4 to 6 weekends I normally stayed in bed around 16 hours I was physically exhausted - needless to say it was horrible getting up for work every morning. Week days come home from work, shower, eat lite, and straight to bed.

Everything finally started to stabilize between 40 / 60 days.

Just take it easy if can't sleep and don't want to lay down for hours on end, some people find it better to simply get up for a few hours and try again.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm struggling to sleep too. 4am here. Fall asleep ok but wake in early hours. Think with it being the holidays hasnt helped either with the lack of routine and later nights/lying in.

It will get better, as you know. I also do not use any meds, even on the nights I can't sleep. Will sleep eventually and no point replacing one drug for another imo.