Notices

Recovery newbie

Old 01-05-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Hi AngelFire. I am so jealous that you are trying to get this figured out at such a young age. I am 54 and would give anything to have my second 27 years be sober, like yours could be. Are you sober now or still drinking? Let us know what is going on with you and is this your Day 1? The first thing to do is to stop drinking right?
Hi!

I should have clarified. So, my first day sober was December 31st, 2019. I decided to quit on new years not because it is a new years resolution, but it was ten years ago that I started abusing alcohol. One decade of this crap is enough for me.

I'm coming up on my one week mark (Tuesday, I think)...and that is usually the hardest point for me. I usually can't last over a week but I am holding out hope for this time around.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
I got sober at 31 I found this place around the 13 month mark I'm now 37 and coming up on 7 years sober in the summer

If it wasn't for finding this place when I did with how I was feeling about life and whatnot I probably would have relapsed or recovery at the least would be a lot harder not understanding what I was going through

There are many reasons I personally love this site but mainly because it caters for everyone worldwide 24h a day, so in the red raw first few days weeks months etc it really helps seeing others going through what were going through and watching the ups and downs and the rise and fall of things ... Sober

There's sections for books poetry whinging about life lol a cafe central that actually feels like a cafe espesh if your drinking coffee tea or ice soda water in the morning

Big welcome know it's truly possible and at 27 all I can say is this is the best decision of your 20's

Nice to meet you
Congratulations on coming up on 7 years. That's incredible.

Nice to meet you, as well! Thank you for the encouragement. I'm a big coffee drinker and therefore I will have to check out the cafe. Sounds like fun. I think it's a huge plus that you can find 24 hour support here.

No promises on me submitting any poetry, though.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome. I do not rely on any one support...because IF that support is unavailable when I want it to support me...???
So I still do meetings, SR IS my main support- but not the only one. I also see a psychologist, my GP to monitor my health and depression, and an addiction counsellor.....sometimes also the student support counsellor if it impacts my studies (depression,etc).
Journal writing is a must do for me as well.

Support to you.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 01-12-2020, 10:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I go to a variety of different AA meetings even though I'm not 100% bought in yet, but I do find inspiration in others there. There are 2 in particular that have a lot of people in their 20s, one specifically titled "Young People's Group".

And as an almost 40 year old, I find it awesome and impressive that they're doing it. Some already with years of sobriety and sponsoring others. There are some really impressive young men and women there, whether they're still struggling with it or standing on firm and sober ground. Good on you for recognizing it and taking the first step, because the simple reality is that one day "functional alcoholism" will spiral out of control into nonfunctional.