Notices

Quality Rather Than Quantity

Old 12-30-2019, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quality Rather Than Quantity

I'm living in Day 40 sober. In that short amount of time, the relationships in my life have begun to change dramatically. I was of course unable to look at my relationships objectively and I had very few healthy relationships. Mostly my fault.

But become sober and show some vulnerability and, WOW, do you find out quickly which relationships were real, two-way relationships and which ones really never existed at all. I've had some friends and family already move on and leave me behind, which does hurt my ego some. But the people who I really love and respect, and who I know love and respect me, have been incredible.

I'm already seeing how much better it is to have fewer relationships but to have those relationships be real and meaningful and two-ways. It feels so much more authentic and honest to live that way.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’m glad you are finding this out! I too was amazed when this happened with me and my relationships. It was very freeing to finally figure out real, honest relationships.

My experience also allowed me to identify who I am as a person, what my values are, and where my boundaries are: all necessary things to have to establish/maintain healthy relationships. It feels so good to be authentic.

I look forward to reading more about your journey...It definitely keeps getting better.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post. I can so relate to this.
I'm in the process of setting boundaries myself.
It's been a long time coming.
Alcohol distorts everything.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can identify with what you have written, Surrendered19. I have struggled a bit and it's amazing who has come and visited me, and who hasn't.

I have discovered over the years that certain people are essentially parasitic, and their strategy is simply to milk people for all they're worth. It's a component of psychopathy/sociopathy. I think in my younger days I was more insecure and worried about offending people, but I won't let people take advantage of me like I once did.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate also. I think it is better to have fewer close relationships. If you think about it, how many close relationships can a person have? I would think not that many because you couldn't sustain them.