Notices

I'm thinking of quitting.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
LFM

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi LFM
Obviously you're here for a reason

if you think it's a problem then it's a problem - no matter what anyone else might say in your real life, or here @ SR

A lot of times its not about volume at all - its about how we're using alcohol and why.

From my experience alcohols not a good medicine for anxiety or PTSD.

It can only work at the symptoms, and only alleviates those for a brief span of time.

Over time, you may find you'll start drinking more and more to get the same effect - you might also find that your anxiety increases as you become dependent on those nightly drinks. You may find your PSTD flares up when you're not drinking.

I think you're wise to be thinking about quitting now

I'm very sorry for the pain and worry about your daughters, but you'll find a lot of support here

D
Thank you. You've given me some important things to think about. I appreciate your comments regarding anxiety. I'm considered a wise person. I must be wise about this.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
LFM

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
The thing about this thing is that it is not static. It changes and evolves. The reason to get ahold of it now is that before you know it, you are drinking a full bottle every day. And then more. And then you've lost another year. Or another 10 years. It just progresses like that in the vast majority of cases.
You've described my fear about all this. Thank you for putting it in black and white.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
LFM

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
Drinking had become my only hobby. I drank every night as well and it bothered me I could not moderate or quit it. I was full of shame, suicidal, and felt worthless.

I do not feel any of those things anymore and I am so glad I do not drink at all. I am so much happier, it was hard at first, but I posted and read here a lot. I highly recommend giving it up if you are worried in any way. You will save money, maybe lose weight, and your self esteem will improve.
Thank you. This was very helpful.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

There is a lot of good advice here, LFM. I especially like what Dee said about it's not volume and that it's never a good idea to self medicate with alcohol to treat mental health issues. I am so sorry about your children. I have two grandkids - 5 (boy) and 9 (girl) and the future scares me to death.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think drinking half a bottle of wine every night would increase your chance of developing health problems. It seems excessive to me.

​​​​​​
Old 12-30-2019, 03:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~sb

If you think it's a problem, stop drinking. If things seem better, than alcohol was the problem and the solution is to not drink.

If you stop and it's difficult or if life gets "worse" then you may be suffering from untreated alcoholism and the solution is to not drink and find a program of recovery to follow.

As an alcoholic, without drinking, life gets worse for me and I desperately need a new solution (I found this in the AA 12 steps).

No matter what, your drinking is too much compared to the suggested standards for alcohol consumption (according to the USA National Institutes of Health-alcoholism)
Old 12-31-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
LFM

Just want everyone to know I decided to stop. My last wine was yesterday at 5pm. I finished a half bottle. My usual MO was to always be sure there was a bottle in the house. This morning after the gym i did not go to the liquor store. I'm sure you all realize that this was huge. I approached the evening with no alcohol in the house. It's now 1030 pm. I did it. Im going to bed. I feel anxious, but I can handle it for now. I can feel my blood pressure is high but I'm taking some magnesium and l-theanine. Sipping herbal teas. Will soon take some melatonin. If I feel overly anxious I may take .5 MG of clonazapam that I was prescribed two years ago when I was extremely anxious due to my two daughters addictions. .. and i never really used it except for a few times when we were in crisis.....I preferred my wine...that's where the wine drinking addiction began and took hold. Thank you for your support yesterday. 2020 begins clear headed and hopeful.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good luck! Do you have a plan past just stopping drinking?
Old 12-31-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Congratulations, LFM.
That's a mighty fine way to start a new century!!

You will be able to handle the anxiety, I promise. I think set your sights on determining to grit your teeth through it without medication just as soon as you can. I'm sure you know benzos such as clonazepam are considered to be freeze-dried alcohol, so leaning on them for any period of time could be a pretty bad idea. This is something, of course, to talk over with your physician. I'm just passing along what I've been taught in multiple recovery programs (too many!).

The first day I was sober and got into an anxiety/high tension spin that lasted for hours, I wanted to scream, but I did decide the thing wasn't gonna kill me it was just going to make me really really uncomfortable and I could outlast it. Didn't like it in the least, but it did indeed pass, and here I am lecturing you.

Anyhow, back to the main topic of interest - YOU!

Go, girl! Hang around and keep talking.
We'll be glad to be here to support you.

O
Old 12-31-2019, 09:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on a start LFM.

Of course if you feel concerned or worried there's simply no substitute for seeing a doctor, and I'd honestly recommend that over self medicating.

D
Old 12-31-2019, 10:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi LFM. I’ve lurked here on and off since October 2016 and only had the courage to register and post yesterday. Looking forward to seeing you around and encouraging you on your new path of sobriety. :-)
Old 12-31-2019, 10:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Of course if you feel concerned or worried there's simply no substitute for seeing a doctor, and I'd honestly recommend that over self medicating.

D
Agreed. That old prescription will run out and you very well may have a new addiction if you don't taper properly. See your doc.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
er... decade, that is
Old 01-01-2020, 01:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

er... decade, that is
awww I knew what you meant ;-)
Old 01-01-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you. I was a RAGING drunk, but yet somehow held it together in company... when I say "held it together" I mean they didn't abandon me. I had many comments of "come on, stop over-reacting, you are fine" I was very far and beyond the limit of normal drinking so I have no idea why anyone would have encouraged me to go on. To that point I have always felt that is someone thinks their drinking is a problem- whether that be five bottles of wine a night or two glasses only once a month- then it IS a problem. If you are not comfortable with your intake or the reasons why you are drinking, then yes, it is a problem and you should feel comfortable and safe doing something about it. It is not the amount or frequency that matters, it is the fact that YOU are questioning it and feel uncomfortable. Good for you for taking note and doing something positive.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
LFM

Congratulations, LFM.

You will be able to handle the anxiety, I promise. I think set your sights on determining to grit your teeth through it without medication just as soon as you can. I'm sure you know benzos such as clonazepam are considered to be freeze-dried alcohol, so leaning on them for any period of time could be a pretty bad idea. This is something, of course, to talk over with your physician. I'm just passing along what I've been taught in multiple recovery programs (too many!).

The first day I was sober and got into an anxiety/high tension spin that lasted for hours, I wanted to scream, but I did decide the thing wasn't gonna kill me it was just going to make me really really uncomfortable and I could outlast it. Didn't like it in the least, but it did indeed pass, and here I am lecturing you.

Anyhow, back to the main topic of interest - YOU!

Go, girl! Hang around and keep talking.
We'll be glad to be here to support you.

O
Thanks O. Yes, I passed on the clonazapam. I took some L-Theanine, magnesium, and calming tea instead. I also exercised. Ate really well, and plenty. Finished off my day with a hot chocolate. It actually was a very pleasant day even with a little anxiety. Today, too, im taking good care of myself. A little TLC on this last day of vacation before back to school to and my awesome kiddies. One day at a time.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
LFM

Originally Posted by cantsleep123 View Post
Good luck! Do you have a plan past just stopping drinking?
yes...! 😊
I'm rereading some sober literature, focusing on my health, and surrendering to God. I hated thinking I couldn't exist without wine. I want to believe in myself again. ..that life is beautiful and enough as is, with no chemical alterations. Im very committed to and involved in Alanon, a life saving 12 step program. The 12 steps are the 12 steps, same. It will be my structure while God will be my strength and comfort.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
LFM

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Congratulations to you. I was a RAGING drunk, but yet somehow held it together in company... when I say "held it together" I mean they didn't abandon me. I had many comments of "come on, stop over-reacting, you are fine" I was very far and beyond the limit of normal drinking so I have no idea why anyone would have encouraged me to go on. To that point I have always felt that is someone thinks their drinking is a problem- whether that be five bottles of wine a night or two glasses only once a month- then it IS a problem. If you are not comfortable with your intake or the reasons why you are drinking, then yes, it is a problem and you should feel comfortable and safe doing something about it. It is not the amount or frequency that matters, it is the fact that YOU are questioning it and feel uncomfortable. Good for you for taking note and doing something positive.
Thanks so much. No, I wasn't falling down drunk, but I've seen a lot with addiction and know the progression. I was very uncomfortable watching myself go down that path, even though I wasn't a total mess....I knew it was only a matter of time. Addiction has only one story line. I just wanted OUT. I want to be present...not escaping. Writing this now is making me cry...happy tears. Grateful for your recovery. God bless.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
LFM

Originally Posted by SunnyCoastK View Post
Hi LFM. I’ve lurked here on and off since October 2016 and only had the courage to register and post yesterday. Looking forward to seeing you around and encouraging you on your new path of sobriety. :-)
Thanks for the support. I'm glad you're here. Happy New Year to you.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:44 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
LFM

D
Agreed. That's what the wine was for. Done. Want to be present for life, not escaping. Thank you.