Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Six Years of Lessons That Didn't Happen - a post for the newcomer

Notices

Old 12-29-2019, 02:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A lot of people share these days about what happened when they stopped drinking alcohol. Not many seem to share much about what DIDN’T happen. Six years ago, I began living a life of sobriety from alcohol. Here are eleven of the things that didn’t happen as a result;

1. Life didn’t end.

That’s one of the things people always dread will happen. Life without alcohol? What? In THIS world? HOW? Impossible. But in fact, life doesn’t end. It begins anew.

2. I didn’t become uncool.

Another thing people frequently fear about the idea of not drinking is they’ll suddenly become uncool. Anti-social. Outcast. They worry about being lame and uninteresting and a wet blanket at the party. Turns out, that didn’t happen. Got to know myself better than ever. Began to authentically be me, deeper and deeper. Turns out - THAT is cool.

3. My kids didn't have to see me drunk.

Lots of kids do have to see their parents drunk. It’s scary for kids. It’s got to be at minimum uncomfortable. Might even be traumatic. Turns out, when you don’t drink alcohol your kids are guaranteed not to have a scary or confusing experience with a drunk parent.

4. I didn’t die of boredom.

“WHAT FUN IS LIFE WITHOUT DRINKING??!?!” people practically cry out.... For me, present life and sober experiences have proven far greater fun than alcohol ever was.

5. I didn’t wake up hungover. I didn’t black out.

I didn’t have a searing headache or the nausea of alcohol poisoning. Not once. In six years. One of the greatest, simplest gifts of all.

6. I didn’t get arrested.

Which is more than I can say for when I was drinking. I didn’t have to regret things I’d done or said. Drinking didn’t always lead to regrettable things. But many of my life’s most regrettable moments were because of drinking.

7. I didn’t lose my creativity.

Lots of us creatives feel that our muse comes from a bottle or an altered state. I discovered that to be a delusion. And in fact have found lots of new depth and possibility and productivity in my acts of creativity.

8. I didn’t waste a HELL of a lot of time.

I don’t know about you, but drinking was able to consume an awful lot of time in my life while producing two fifths of fuckall in terms of actual value. The precious time I have in this life is made richer and more meaningful without booze.

9. I didn’t (literally) **** away one HELL of a lot of money.

Turns out, drinking alcohol is not only expensive, but you are actually, legitimately, literally just PISSING that money away. Not to mention the costs of adverse impacts of things like DUIs and late fees and bills you forgot to pay or just didn’t bother with.

10. I didn’t kill anyone. Or myself.

A lot of people are a lot less fortunate. I could have been one of them. Leaving alcohol aside drastically reduces the potential of either of those outcomes. No, really, it’s a statistical fact. Look it up.

11. I didn’t miss it.

At least, after the first year. I admit, at first it was really hard. I had to really work at it. I used a lot of help and support and a program and resources and it wasn’t easy and at times it was even scary and really uncomfortable. But that all faded, dulled, dissolved and gave way to a whole new world, a whole new life and a whole tremendous well of emotion and growth and possibility and potential. And six years later I’m grateful every day for the day I chose sobriety.
Who knows..... Maybe you would be, too.

Six years yesterday. And I definitely couldn't have done it without this place and many of you here individually who helped, inspired and supported me.

I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. My circle of service and my span of spinning plates has expanded a lot in the past year. Went to a meeting to receive my 6 year coin yesterday and it had been a long time since I'd been to a meeting also. Several old timers expressed concern about that. It's easy when times are going good to forget the strength and the boost and the reinforcement of getting into meetings at least now and again. And the offer of passing on the gift that comes with it.

I'll get back in the rhythm.

I hope you all got through the holidays unscathed so far in your sobriety. For those just arriving or those returning - dust off your wounds and let's get you back on path!

Old 12-29-2019, 02:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amazing post - what a great reminder to all of us! Thanks FreeOwl!
Old 12-29-2019, 02:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the post Free Owl - congrats on 6 years

D
Old 12-29-2019, 03:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks Dee!
Old 12-29-2019, 03:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post and congrats on your sober time 🙏
Old 12-29-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kudos my friend. I too am on this journey. No where near 6 years. 239 days to be exact. But I'm working on it. One Day at a time. ✌
Old 12-29-2019, 04:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Entering month Nº 5 soon I enjoy the odd moment so much when I feel, this is working. This is actually working!

Your list is an excellent incentive, congratulations on living it for six years.

Enjoy a great 2020, will ya? :o)
Old 12-29-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Massive well done mate
Old 12-29-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a great post. I read it twice and will come back to it. Thank you for that.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post

Massive well done mate
Thank you Soberwolf!

Old 12-29-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post!
Old 12-29-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great contribution and well done on 6 years. That has to feel good.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great post!! Congratulations on 6 years!
Old 12-29-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love this so much Free! Happy birthday!
Old 12-29-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks for that uplifting post FreeOwl and tons of congratulations on 6 years! Fantastic.

I didn't think of it before but it struck me that your last point - no.11 - about not missing it is probably the most uplifting. I have had the occasional twinge of regret in my nearly 5 years but I have certainly not mourned losing the option to drink alcohol like I thought I might. Instead I have been pleased with the other things that have come my way because I was sober and hangover free.

Well done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20191229_220321.jpg (41.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 12-29-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations, FreeOwl on six sober years! I celebrated four years on the 23rd, and I can attest that your list of things that didn't happen is the absolute truth. I am grateful every day that I chose sobriety instead of death, and I am grateful to you and others on the forums who offer encouragement and hope. Offering up a prayer this new year for those who are struggling.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on six years Free Owl!

I love everything about this post, this quote really spoke to me

“I didn’t have to regret things I’d done or said. Drinking didn’t always lead to regrettable things. But many of my life’s most regrettable moments were because of drinking.”

This is such a great list to pin in the Newcomers section.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Can I have your autograph?
Old 12-29-2019, 08:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My awful sense of humor seems to often get my comments deleted, but thank you so much for your post. It's awesome for all of us.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great post and reminders that will definitely help me moving forward each day. Thank you and congratulations!