Notices

Today is Day 1 - A New Year, A Better Me.

Old 12-27-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is Day 1 - A New Year, A Better Me.

Last year I completed a solid year off drinking and I was pretty heavy back then compared to now, both physically and the amounts I'd put down. SR had helped me achieve that goal.

That year really helped me better understand my relationship with alcohol. Since then I've gotten pretty fit, found a new love for strength training and a lot of things have changed for the better as a result of the work which I could not have done without a clear head. Family & work are great thankfully, don't have many of the same friends these days, but family matters most and that's ok.

After that goal during this past year, I've mostly moderated on special occasions at first, then minor occasion, which scared me and pushed me into taking 3 months off, focus on my healthy again, then 3 months on and so on. The constant back and forth between extremes has become exhausting and feel this is the right time to begin again.

Not waiting till after New Year's, not interested in partying, we all go to sleep early these days anyway. Today is day 1 of another 1 year goal, but this time I'll try not to stop the clock.

Thank you all for just being here, so many of you offer great advice that helps people through the rough times which weigh heavy on the heart and mind. Thanks again & Happy Holidays.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's one day at a time, and sometimes one year at a time. Welcome back to the sober life!
Old 12-27-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy Holidays. Congratulations on day 1.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We are here to help, Endeavor! You're doing a great thing.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Endeavour - I've never regretted my decision to give up alcohol completely, for good.

D
Old 12-27-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Something that rings my ears and think about often. So many of us have had a bad relationship with alcohol since young adulthood, even before our brains fully develop by the age of 25, as studies suggest.

That relationship can continue on for decades for many. I find myself contemplating the impact it has and difficulty it presents; considering many of us have such little experience managing stress and just experiencing life without it.

The difficulty of staying sober when so many years have past living life by the bottle is real. It feels like retraining your brain. It's tough but honest work.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hardest thing for me was realizing that I needed a day one. That finally happened after 6 months of that realization. Good for you for getting back on track. Keep us updated!
Old 12-27-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
It's tough but honest work.
I like that.