Notices

Starting to not count the days

Old 12-27-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Question Starting to not count the days

Its been a few weeks since I wrote a thread on here! Also I am starting to not count the days I have been sober and I'm not sure if that's good or bad????

BTW its day 137 hey that doesn't tick me off!

PS in limbo write back soon
Old 12-27-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 12-27-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ClarkGrizwold View Post
Also I am starting to not count the days I have been sober and I'm not sure if that's good or bad????
It's more important that you accumulate sober days than count them.

That said, I'm sure I counted for the first year, as I was proud of the accomplishment of staying sober for that many days. I took my last drink in Sept 2010. Now I'm counting years.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

That’s fantastic Clark .
Old 12-27-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I dont count days.

For me that would continue to make alcohol what my life around, and thats just not true for me anymore or a healthy focus.

We're all different. Do what feels right for you.

Congrats
Old 12-27-2019, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't count but I keep tracker on my phone so I can check in when I'm curious. Whatever works is what works.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oops supposed to read

that would continue to make alcohol what my life REVOLVES around..

Sorry
Old 12-27-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a sober date but I don't count the days either. Im in recovery but i see it like sobriety should be my default state so no need to count the days around it, just work maintaining a good life that doesn't involve alcohol. Thats what works for me.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't count days.

If I did it would be several thousand, but the only day that matters to me is today.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

some people find counting days help, some not. Whatever works Clark
Of course its whether you stay sober or not that really counts I think

D
Old 12-27-2019, 06:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea I only counted days for about 30. Then I started counting weeks till I started forgetting about it. Now i note the month and usually post. I'm comming up on 7 months but have no idea how many days. Once in awhile i google how many days it's been. All i know is june 10th 2019 i did not drink and have not had a drink I since. Thank god. And thank SR.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I count days. I just find it fun and motivating and satisfying. Living in Day 37 here.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Me? Count days? Never! Lol. Yep I count them alright. Its all good tho different strokes for different folks feel me. Gives me something to do like a routine cause I do a journal which is cool. I look back at the progress as time went on. Express what I'm feeling at that moment good or bad . makes me focus more into my life. Cause before the focus was get polluted then try take care of what I can. Half ass. Excuse my language. Not to mention wouldnt you all miss me if I stopped posting my count? Lol ✌
Old 12-28-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
Me? Count days? Never! Lol. Yep I count them alright. Its all good tho different strokes for different folks feel me. Gives me something to do like a routine cause I do a journal which is cool. I look back at the progress as time went on. Express what I'm feeling at that moment good or bad . makes me focus more into my life. Cause before the focus was get polluted then try take care of what I can. Half ass. Excuse my language. Not to mention wouldnt you all miss me if I stopped posting my count? Lol ✌
There'd probably be a " Where is SoberRican" post with everyone in a concerned tizzy so unless its an extreme emergency I suggest you keep posting
Old 12-28-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't count days but I do track months. Jan 9th marks 35 for me.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For me it can be a double edged sword. In the past, it nearly gave me an excuse to drink as "oh well I'm x amount of days off it, I deserve a drink now". I keep a general track of the time but I tend not to dwell on it too much for said reason.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
For me it can be a double edged sword. In the past, it nearly gave me an excuse to drink as "oh well I'm x amount of days off it, I deserve a drink now". I keep a general track of the time but I tend not to dwell on it too much for said reason.
wow, Ireland . I have some family that lives there . can i send you a private message ?
Old 12-28-2019, 07:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did the same thing as Carl, I counted for the first year. Every now and then I still check to see how many days of sobriety I have. I just checked now and it’s 1458. I will celebrate four years on January 1st.

I like the 24 hour thread because Suze somehow manages to keep a list of sobriety dates, and celebrates weeks, and then months and years. It’s a great place to pop in for support.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClarkGrizwold View Post
wow, Ireland . I have some family that lives there . can i send you a private message ?
Yep, no problem.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
It's more important that you accumulate sober days than count them.

That said, I'm sure I counted for the first year, as I was proud of the accomplishment of staying sober for that many days. I took my last drink in Sept 2010. Now I'm counting years.
Yep, agree.

I had an app and counted daily for a long time- probably 2 yrs, into the next. At some point I began marking each wk, as well as noting round numbers or any special days (a bday, maybe) on the big month page of my calendar. I keep that kind of loose-ish track now.

Some people don't count- heck, I think I make a note of my husband's anniversary in bigger print than he does

Whatever works to keep you motivated, no matter whether it's counting days or number of meetings a wk, or anything else "smaller."

Good job on 137!