Notices

Baby Steps - Weekenders 27 - 30 December 2019

Old 12-29-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Sao, sending Theraflu along with my chicken soup that I didn't get around to making yesterday.

Geez, Manta, well done on the cleaning.

Mags, it's past the time for the egg to hatch. It wasn't viable. It will stay in the nest most likely. A few years ago it happened too. Man, that little bobblehead is a cutie.

I got a couple immunizations yesterday hoping to beat yet another couple illnesses/conditions. I'm sure something else will still get me and now both my arms hurt and I have a headache. Shingles and pneumonia are now on Alert! Go somewhere else, you two.

It's almost 2020. Amazing. I'm glad to still be on this side of the grass.

Anyone lurking the thread, please join in. It's good to have something steady to check every day, and this thread runs all the time.

Sober Sunday morning is my favorite.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I gave my great uncle Percy shingles. I had chicken pox without knowing it (I only had four or five spots) and from that he caught shingles which is painful I believe. I didn't find that out until I was in my mid twenties.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

^ He wouldn't have "caught" shingles from you, saoutchik: he'd have had chickenpox himself at some stage, and the virus re-activated perhaps because he was a bit run-down.

I hope you "turn the corner" soon and start to feel more the thing.
D'you need to see the Dr? or a pharmacist for advice?
Old 12-29-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Mr

12,000th post Sao.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sober, but the old guilt from my past life is strong today. Don't want to drink, just want to lay down and never get up. Good to come here.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

The sun has been out all day and the hills look fantastic. Max the kitten has been chilling and looking super cute snuggled in front of the fire and I got a lot more tidying done. At 3 this afternoon my neighbour popped round with a plated up full roast beef Sunday dinner! They’re an older couple and always look out for me, the chap mows my lawn in Summer and the lady is always sending him round with yummy meals. I feel quite blessed, there are some really good people in this world.

Meant to be another sunny day tomorrow so I am going to put the house sort on hold and get out somewhere for a nice long walk I think. xx
Old 12-29-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

yeah, sao, what Caramel said.

For everyone beating themselves up about some past *thing* - this is the New Year and I propose to forgive yourself for ....life. No one makes any more mistakes than I have.

I just close the door in the face of self-recrimination. Nothing good that way lies. Sometimes I'm the windshield, sometimes I'm the bug.

As a wonderful stranger lady said to me one day, "Guilt is over-rated."

I'm only hurting myself by dwelling on the past.

Onward! Forward we go. (Where's that kitty...)

Thank you Whiners.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ines-roll.html
Old 12-29-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Magsie

Awake, glad you came here. The past sometimes rears it’s head and can fill us with remorse. We can’t change any of that but we can move forward to be a better version of our past. The further away from day one, the easier it gets.

Bim, that’s sad about the egg.

Saou how annoying to be ill whilst you’re on holiday from work. Can you put a sick note in to claim your holiday days? I hope it soon passes.

Wow, 12,000 posts Saou. Well Observed Vinny

I’ve had shingles 3 times. It hurt like heck, very painful nerve pain. I had chicken pox as a kid.

MantaLady, gosh I’m impressed and worn out at your Operation ’get sorted for 2020’

Me and hubby went for lunch with my sister, bil and nephew earlier. It was very nice, and a pudding for afters. always glad to be home though.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Magsie

Well said Bim, wise words.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:01 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I do know how you feel Awake but at least by remaining sober you could ease the guilt in other ways. I'm sure you are a good person.

Originally Posted by Awake61 View Post
Sober, but the old guilt from my past life is strong today. Don't want to drink, just want to lay down and never get up. Good to come here.
That's a shame about the eagle egg, no news I take it.

And talking of eagles VMan you have eagle eyes in spotting my 12,000th post. I would never have noticed.

Thanks Caramel and others for pointing out that I only reactivated an existing virus in respect of my uncle Percy. No one ever blamed me for it, as I say no one even told me until about 15 years after.

Uncle Percy was a smart chap, he looked like the actor Peter Vaughn who some of you might know as Maester Aemon from Game of Thrones though he was in all sorts of things in the UK. He built his own television before WW2. He lived close enough to the broadcast mast at the Alexandra Palace to receive transmissions (the range was only about 10 miles) I'm really impressed by that. Not all of my family are drunken idiots like me.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:04 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Incidentally my siblings and myself always called him uncle Percy but he was my grandad's brother so great uncle in real life. Even i'm not THAT old.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:08 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Monday morning, I guess holidays are still on for some and some people have to go back to work in between Christmas and new year. It saves some days for later on, if so.

Had a nice lunch out with sister and bil and their son yesterday. Made a nice change. Though I’m a bit of a home bird now. Done enough chasing around in my lifetime. It’s good to put my feet up sometimes.

Saou, I recognized the name Peter Vaughn, looked him up, he was in so much on tv. Your uncle Percy sounds a smart chap. He must have had a tv long before it was the norm in most homes.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:19 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning beautiful people
Old 12-30-2019, 12:12 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Soberwolf.

Thanks Mags, yes he was one of the first100 or so people in the world, not just England, to own a TV.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:32 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Mr

Bonjour weekenders.
At my mil for a few days.
MIL lives in a village in the pyrenean mountains. Lucky me. Today's plan is to go to the col d'aubisque and go trekking with snowshoes. When I was a nipper in eire I had a bicycle with col d'aubisque stamped on it. It's a pretty famous tour de France col.
I will post a photo later.

It's been a while since we have heard from Willow. Shout out to Willow...

Take care good folk
Old 12-30-2019, 01:58 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Lovely sunny day here and just going to take a walk to the village shop for some bread. Then I am going to finish tiling the kitchen! Sounds more impressive than it is haha as I am using peel and stick tiles! They look surprisingly realistic and unless your up super close you can’t tell they are not real tiles.

Hope everyone is well and have a super day in the mountains Vman! xx
Old 12-30-2019, 03:11 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Did you reach 5 years today Sao?
It's not clear in my notes if it's today or January 14?

Let us know if we can light up the fireworks
Old 12-30-2019, 03:35 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
Did you reach 5 years today Sao?
It's not clear in my notes if it's today or January 14?

Let us know if we can light up the fireworks

Thank you CK!Yes Siree, I am 5 years sober today. (I joined on about the 14th I think and mistakenly thought that meant I needed to join the Jan '15 'ers).

I was drinking half a bottle of whiskey every weekday, more at weekends. That was in my 54th year too, I must have come so close to the point of no return.

If a lameass like me can get sober anyone can, it just takes a bit of thinking through, willpower alone won't do it.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:49 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Congrats saoutchik!

I am back for another try. I want a sober NYE. I am all stocked up on icy cold lemonade, a box of icecreams and a party bag of cheetos. I don't like to go out on NYE and I don't want to be around drinking, so I'm staying home to watch tv and work on my novel with my cat.

I'm also going to start exercising again. I signed up for an at home dance workout. I'll be closing the blinds so no one sees this middle aged moocow jigging about. I thin if I can get myself out of the house a few evenings a week to break up my routine it might help. Meeting a friend for coffee, going for a walk around the mall, maybe even a movie. I usually just come home and sit in front of the tv and drink.

I've been on vacation and getting back in the groove of writing. If I don't procastinate, I can easily churn out a 1,000 words in half an hour.

I have so much to do and drinking means I do nothing, or certainly at less than my capacity. I'm so sick of it, but then after I have a few weeks off the sauce, I get a case of the "**** its" and don't care at all about being sober. Something has to change because I can't live like this.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:06 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Patcha
Congrats on 5 years saoutchik!
D