Notices

Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2019, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas

Went over to my family’s house for our Christmas celebration this year. Daughter had a good time unwrapping her gifts and got very intrigued by all the wrapping paper. Very cute stuff. My family was patiently waiting for me to leave to start boozing and all the memories of Christmas’s past came back to haunt me.

Whoa was I triggered! All I wanted to do was join in with them. But, instead I grabbed my daughter and left quickly. Don’t know why those boozy Christmas’s got to me but damn that was tough.

Glad I made the right choice and glad my daughter will never have to experience a drunken Christmas.

But whoa.. that was close. Take my advice those who are newly sober, just leave! It’s not worth it.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good choice! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2019, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you NewHope. I followed similar advice that you give here and am grateful. I went to my extended family function, everyone started boozing big, and I picked my right moment and slipped out. It was no big deal. Us addicts can be very self-centered. Nobody even noticed I wasn't drinking, which was surprising to me.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I’m with you guys! I went to a family function and they all were drinking. After Christmas Eve dinner it was time for the new annual beer pong tradition. I said my goodbyes and drove home. I’ll be nice and rested for early Christmas morning instead of dragging ass.

Really everyone, it’s OK to leave! Merry Xmas!
Old 12-24-2019, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

At first is was tough to watch folks drink. These days i am over it. Now it is more of a weird addition to the events.

Seeing someone drink 2 or 3 beers seems like a lot of work to me. Very full?

If they do shots, I can see them go from sober and craving to drunk in literally a couple of minutes. Then I get to see them get all weird happy or mean, either come down and look bloated and tired, or keep drinking themselves to palukaville.

It is an interesting and sometimes neccessary horror show.

Not my scene any more. I love not being drunk. It feels amazing.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Daughter or drink? Good call. Off this morning to do the Xmas parkrun with my grown up daughter who chose never to drink alcohol. Only possible because a couple of decades ago I made a similar call...and stuck with it. Enjoy Christmas....
Old 12-24-2019, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NessunDorma View Post
Daughter or drink? Good call. Off this morning to do the Xmas parkrun with my grown up daughter who chose never to drink alcohol. Only possible because a couple of decades ago I made a similar call...and stuck with it. Enjoy Christmas....
I hope my daughter makes the same decision. This is not something I want to pass down. Reading threads by parents who’s children never picked up a drug helps ease my worries.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes - I was 'taught to drink' by my caring middle class parents who thought it would make my brother and I continental-style sophisticates. It made us both alcoholics. He still drinks and we are estranged.

Good luck with it - whatever you give your daughter this Christmas, nothing will be more valuable than your sobriety...
Old 12-25-2019, 12:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first Xmas can be rough like that - I just had my 13th sober Xmas and had no worries
It gets better
D
Old 12-25-2019, 02:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mr

Good advice.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2019, 03:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too had a little function and booze was flowing . for me the coffee was brewing. Lol. Waited for folks to settle down . have visitors from Cali over. Made sure their pallet was ready for them. Then I side stepped into bed while my girlfriend visits. Made sure all stuff was cleaned up so my girlfriend can enjoy the visit. She was greatful. And I stayed sober. Win win ✌
Old 12-25-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nobody can believe how helpful I am. LOL!!! Doing the dishes, walking the dogs, playing with the wild nephews. I haven't been able to do any of that. Ever. Until this year. Grateful.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NessunDorma View Post
Yes - I was 'taught to drink' by my caring middle class parents who thought it would make my brother and I continental-style sophisticates.
I strongly associated drinking with sophistication also, although my parents never taught me that. I guess I picked it up from society and watching too many James Bond films. Every night, my first drink was accompanied by thoughts of sophistication swimming around in the back of my brain.