Notices

Needing help

Old 12-26-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Sleep

So much for I feel sleepy and looking to an early night, its 00.45 and no sleep in me, Surley I have to need sleep sometime ?
Old 12-26-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Totally normal. Many of us had at least a few sleepless nights, or very little sleep for awhile. Your brain is used to being sedated.

It'll be ok.
Relax.
Read a book.
Stay the course.

O
Old 12-27-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I wish I could tell you that your sleep pattern will magically get better. It doesn’t. I’m on day 10 and most nights I get 3-4 hours of sleep. Funny thing is that I feel better in the morning with those 3 hours sober that 10 hours drunk. I know it will get normal eventually. For you as well.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

How are you doing now Katy?
Old 12-27-2019, 12:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Actually yes I can relate to the 3 hrs good sleep rather than the crashed out longer sleep. Because I was worrying about little sleep I was thinking ''oh no' but actually I do have more energy. Going for 12 units today. Can't believe I have gone from 20 to 12 in 3 days. Son has gone awol again so I am only keeping in the house the amount I can have. It now feels difficult because my way to go was always justifying another drink. .
​​ But I feel scared because he is in such ill health, then I think me drinking is not going to change the situation. Such admiration for those abstaining. I am understanding the battle.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Totally normal. Many of us had at least a few sleepless nights, or very little sleep for awhile. Your brain is used to being sedated.

It'll be ok.
Relax.
Read a book.
Stay the course.

O
I read a whole book, 6hrs and still had trouble nodding off. 😬
Old 12-28-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

If I focus on sleeping and make myself aware I can't sleep then I've already set myself up for a bad night.
However if I go to bed and still can't sleep I just get back up again without laying there tossing and turning and feeling irritable!
But sometimes I do nod off in the day which can be embarrassing sometimes!
Old 12-28-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Good on ya. Time's never wasted reading a good book.
What was it?
Old 12-28-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I know people who said it took more than a year for normal sleeping patterns to return. The longest I've been sober is 4 months and I never had a good nights sleep.

It's not necessarily an indication of your brain chemistry having been altered though, as there are many reasons one can have insomnia. Would depression, anxiety, or general stress have been keeping you awake had you not been masking it with drinking yourself to sleep? Maybe sleep apnea or as simple as a depletion of magnesium. So many reasons. If you stay sober for a while and don't get good sleep, see a sleep doc.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Every single quit for me, took 3-4 weeks of lack of sleep. I sleep great now. This is after all alcohol was out of my system. Sleep is much much better and more on a schedule than just passed out from drink sleep. So for me it took time. The first 4 days was horrible, then it was just bad but a little better, then after a month, I’m sleeping 💤 even husband doesn’t wake me anymore when he comes to bed.

Point of sharing my experience is that it could take some time. I also think as long as your are tapering it may take longer to get to a new normal since the new normal won’t start until some time after the taper.

Have faith that sleep will come. Then if nothing else, see your doctor. Rooting for you!
Old 12-29-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi Katy and welcome!

I am only speaking from my experience and NOT a medical professional; I was a wine drinker as well and had gotten up to two bottles and a sometime extra beer (2-4), that was a regular night and sometimes it was more. I drank every day for months at night.
When I decided enough was enough, I was also terrified of detox and I went to see about a detox treatment center and was told I was at high risk for heart attack and all that stuff. I was so scared but my insurance did not accept it so I went cold turkey at my sisters house with my ex husband, who is a medical professional on call for me.

Worse 4-5 day ever, but I got through it. Mainly sweats and REALLY high anxiety with elevated blood pressure and diarrhea and stomach pain. After the 4th day I started to normalize and blood pressure dropped. I made the earliest apt with doc and let her in on my plan. Then I hit a meeting and have not stopped going.

5.5 months later, vitals are regular, weight lost, energy up, mood better and general well-being is great. My program saved my life as did SR. I log on here every single night for support.

My advice would be talk to your doctor about your plan to stop drinking, see what works for you and be gentle with yourself, it will not be easy but it will be worth it. Life without alcohol is beautiful.

I wish you the best and keep logging on for support, you will always find it here with your SR family.

Best of luck!
Nic.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:20 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I understand what you are going thru.....I myself was unemployed and depressed....soon as my husband left for work I would start drinking...….and funny I was even attending AA meetings at the same time.....stupid me thinking well if I go to a meeting I may not drink.....yeah just for that hour...….as others have said when you drink that heavily and often I found tapering doesn't not work.....you start and get right back to where you were and sometimes even worse......I am still trying to quit 100% but have been on and off the last 10 months......I know we all can do this it takes time, patience, and the desire to quit.....good luck
Old 12-29-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Stuck

Originally Posted by Katy1 View Post
I read a whole book, 6hrs and still had trouble nodding off. 😬
Not felt good today, so stuck at 12 units. Also struggling with lack of sleep, I am so pleased I only purchased 12 units otherwise I would have been tempted to have another drink just to go to sleep.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good on ya. Time's never wasted reading a good book.
What was it?
Dorothy Koomson 'Tell me your secret' Not the best book to wind down to lol
Old 12-30-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Yeah?
Maybe pick the dictionary tonight.
What's the plan today?
Old 12-31-2019, 03:01 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Yeah?
Maybe pick the dictionary tonight.
What's the plan today?
Still at 12 units, anxiety bad because of son, at least if I can't get past this I'm sure detox will be an easier time than at 20 units. Have bought a BP machine but not used it yet. I have looked at a private at home detox, medical staff come to the house daily to give you medication after a initial assessment that you are suitable. Doesn't go on medical records.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Sorry to hear that.

No doubt you know not to increase, no matter what happens.

I'm sorry I forgot and can't read back right now because I'm on my phone - are you in counseling and/or alanon? This concern about your son seems literally debilitating.

O
Old 12-31-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

No not in any support groups, I know most people because I was CEO of a drug and alcohol service, a Magistrate before that. Son has blood clots in legs and groin, 24 yrs a heroin user, he's is trying hard but doesn't really know another life. I am proud to be doing 12 units, I know sounds mad but a week ago I was doing 20. Will never go back up but if I can't go forward I will seek help. I love this site because I am anonymous and everyone is supportive. I hate drinking and hate myself for continuing to do so. But I now understand my son, although he stresses me by manipulation. I had a conversation with him today saying we can only save ourselves and I am putting myself 1st Nearly 2020 here, have a blooming good one. Dog cowering in the cupboard with blanket round her ears because of fireworks. I will be in bed before 12am, don't feel like I have anything to celebrate right now but striving to change that.x

​​​

​​​​
Old 01-05-2020, 08:34 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Katy,

I'm wondering how you're getting along and am about to send you a PM.
I hope you'll come back and update us on your progress, whether it's going well or poorly. We've been through it all and will jump in to support you any which way.

xo
O