Notices

Just out of ER.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just out of ER.

This last bender wasn't my worst. At least, I think it wasn't. However, this time around I have very little memory. Just random snap-shots in my head that I can't tell if they really happened. No serious injuries this time like in years past. No fights that I can remember. No jobs lost or girlfriends to alienate. No time in jail etc.

However, what was different this time was the withdrawal symptoms. I was experiencing visual and audio hallucinations to go along with the extreme anxiety and insomnia. I walked to ER late last night and I was admitted within 10 minutes and pumped full of valium. The medical staff were great. Very empathetic.

Hospital paid for a taxi home and gave me a prescription for valium for a couple days. The kindling is getting too much. I really hope I get it this time because that was complete mental torture that I never experienced before.

Day 1.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is exactly what has been happening to me. It scares me.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I hope this will be a turning point for you to grasp onto all available help to stop drinking for good. Glad you went to the ER and are okay.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That sounds awful. Truly a lesson for those who haven't had to go through this yet. Thank you for your post.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've heard it gets worse every time. So glad you're back! Stay close to SR!
Old 12-20-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great decision to go to ER yesterday I understand the mental torment you have been under the Valium should help a lot with that.

Please just don’t lift that first drink. If you don’t lift that first drink then you can’t get drunk.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you went through that but I'm glad you're back.
Please make this be the last time WL.

D
Old 12-20-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I really hope I get it this time because that was complete mental torture that I never experienced before.
Welcome back WL. What exactly do you hope you "get"? For one, hope won't get you sober by itself. You of course need to take action. Also, you don't get unlimited do-overs on this. "This time" could indeed be your last chance - since you were here last we've had news of more than one individual who died as a result of their choice to keep using/drinking.

What exactly would you ask of us this time around - we'd love to help but you need to give us some indication of what it is you are trying to accomplish.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder and best of luck to you. Please quit. You will be alot happier and healthier.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A great big red flag, WL. Support to you.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I have been in the ER for withdrawal symptoms multiple times in multiple different hospitals. I think at least 7 hospitals in Toronto alone. Then there were the injuries I had that also landed me in the ER. I lost count but total visits are 10-12. Also spent 3 days in a psych ward after a drug binge.

That is true power of addiction when I repeat the same behaviours over and over knowing what the outcome is likely to be.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm thankful you took action and are ok. I hope you'll stop torturing your poor body and stay sober. Hoping you're on your way to a long & healthy life.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can use this incident as motivation to get and stay sober for good.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

WL, your story is scary. 10 - 12 hospital visits is a lot and maybe you're taking it for granted that you can keep doing that. But, you don't know what might happen next time. I really hope you decide to stop drinking and take care of yourself.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with the above poster who said we don’t get unlimited do overs. I have learned this the hard way as well, which is why I had added a lot to my recover plan and taking AA more seriously.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have done in-patient rehab, therapy, AA, spoke to doctors. My mother was an alcoholic and recently died. I also believe there were several alcoholics on both sides of the family including grandparents and uncles. I think I genetically predisposed for alcoholism. On top of it all, I have Attention Deficit Disorder. I lost everything already and live alone. Ruined my career. I think I just don't have a reason to be sober. Haven't seen family/friends in years. Sobriety doesn't really change much for me.

Probably feeling sorry for myself, but I have tried many things. I literally just wander around the city by myself. My 8th Christmas alone coming up. Boredom, loneliness, hopelessness....those things are my biggest triggers.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm living Day 30 sober after 30 years - 10 of abusing alcohol, another 10 a serious alcoholic and another 10 a friggin insane alcoholic. I refuse to believe that there is no redemption. Maybe the only thing we can accomplish WL is to wander this earth at peace instead of poisoned. I am lucky that I have sought out some support and have people who care about me but most days I am alone. People in my life learned that to be around me for the last few decades meant chaos and misery. That is what I did to myself and to them. I have concluded that alone and clear and calm is good enough. I go through the days now finding things, little things, that make me happy and I really try to focus on those things. I am content with being alone and I know I have made my bed. Even alone we can live lives of meaning. I am reaching out in small ways to make connections.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Thanks everyone. I have been in the ER for withdrawal symptoms multiple times in multiple different hospitals. I think at least 7 hospitals in Toronto alone. Then there were the injuries I had that also landed me in the ER. I lost count but total visits are 10-12. Also spent 3 days in a psych ward after a drug binge.

That is true power of addiction when I repeat the same behaviours over and over knowing what the outcome is likely to be.
Hi,

Wishing you support. I have been in the same position. Waking up in ER rooms. Not a fun place to be. This is what is left for us if we continue to drink. Congrats on your new Sobriety. We can do this . You are not alone. Post if you want to drink or having a hard time.
I hope you never have to go through this again and neither do I.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i truly hope you seize this opportunity to claim sobriety and life.
trust me when i say you won't get that many more chances. you are not 10 ft tall and bullet proof. you have a disease that WILL kill you....that is it's sole purpose.

my mom was one of those later stage alcoholics, that after a stint in the hospital, had ONE chance to stop. her doc said that if she drank again at all ever it would KILL her. i, her only child, mother of her only grandchild, was in the room.

she chose to drink again. and yup, it KILLED her. not all at once, oh no, it was ugly and inhumane, as her liver failed and her abdomen swelled to that of a 7th month pregnancy. she turned a hideous shade of yellow/green. they had to keep her in a morphine coma due to the pain in her body due to all the toxic build up.

i share this to let you know this is how it can end.........unless you sever your relationship with alcohol and find another way to live life on life's terms.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

This is exactly what landed me in the ER the last time...withdrawal like I hadn't experienced before. I also got blessed that day with a wonderful staff that didn't judge me. By grace, that was the last time and I've been sober over three years now. ...you can do this, if you want it badly enough. If you find yourself with a lot of time and by yourself, try doing some volunteer work in your area and benefit your sobriety by being of service to other, maybe?