Notices

And so the temptation begins 😔

Old 12-20-2019, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

And so the temptation begins 😔

So I do home support where I go into clients houses and help them out , today there was a gift on the counter , I already knew what if was before I opened it . A nice bottle of red , my drink of choice . I’ve already decided to re gift it to someone , I was thinking about saving it for Christmas dinner for family ,, but the temptation would be staring me right in the face . Another little blip on the radar . Funny thing is I have no desire to drink it , I don’t want to let myself down , as I know I can do this ! A letdown would spiral me into another binge no thanks , my gift this Christmas to myself is the gift of sobriety .
Old 12-20-2019, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, there is a lot of that going on this time of the year. It's perfectly acceptable to decline the gift as well and just tell them that you don't drink alcohol, I have done that before.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I would have declined.

That wine would have stayed on the client's counter with a, "Thanks, but I quit drinking, (if they knew you drank)," or a, "I don't drink," if they didn't know.

I've declined several gifts of alcohol bottles and several drinks bought for me at restaurants. If I don't drink I have no need for it in my car/house/hand.

Have you gotten rid of it yet? I wouldn't wait to re-gift it if I were you. Just throw it out - in some big dumpster where you can't fish it out later.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Give it to the mail man or sanitation guys or something.

I wouldnt even be tempted, in fact I probably wouldnt have accepted it, but another hellish spiral- no thanks.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job re-gifting the wine. I "held on" to a gift like that in the past to give away-not waste- until I didn't and it did not end well. A day at a time.
Congrats on being sober today and protecting your sobriety today.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd open it and pour that sucker down the drain if you can't get rid of it immediately.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

100% re-gift!
Old 12-20-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have declined gifts of wine, too. My home is alcohol free, always and that way I never have to think about it.

I'm glad you are determined to continue your sobriety.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was also gifted a bottle of red. I regifted it to to my nail girl, who was thrilled, and also my next stop of the day. I didnt feel comfortable telling the client I didnt appreciate her gift, and also didnt want it hanging around too long. Good for you getting rid of it.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The other day my gf asked me if I knew anyone who drank red. She was trying to regift lol. It's funny over sober time, your friends shift. We couldn't think of anyone to give it to.
I am in a different situation, ours is not a dry home, although dh has a bottle of whiskey in the cupboard from 2 or 3 Christmas ago, he maybe drinks it once a year. There is beer in the beer fridge and in the barn. Dh will have beers here and there if friends are over.
We participated in an adult easter basket hunt in the spring. I won a bottle of Jamieson Whiskey. It went as a hostess gift to a recent dinner party, somewhere we knew it would be appreciated.
I know myself, it isn't a temptation. I get a gift like that it goes in the cupboard to be taken somewhere, where someone else's liver can process it. For some other people, that would be a huge trigger. Everyone is different, for me personally, I wouldn't decline a gift, but it would be gotten rid of pronto if I thought it held any allure or temptation.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

No temptation to drink whatsoever . My dh drinks so there is always alcohol around .,I'm standing firm in my decision to stay sober so when people are drinking around me it doesn't bother me . The wine has been regifted and given to a very good friend , done and done , didn't even think twice .