Notices

Ho Ho Ho Jolly as we go - Weekenders 20 - 23 December 2019

Old 12-21-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

"Atmospheric River." That is what the TV news lady is calling 4" of rain in 24 hours.

Is that name a thing now? I
I believe it's what the professional meteorologists used to call a "moist airstream" which sounds much less sensational.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you MidnightBlue,
an indoor pool party sounds great, I have never been to one of those.

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Hi Sao, mince pies... hmm... the nice young lady shopkeeper where I bought mine last night said she had eaten an entire pack, warm with cream. I'm trying not to do the same.
I like cream on mine too. I was asking folks at work about how many mince pies is acceptable. It seems 4 is OK but 5 is not for some reason

Congratulations on 2 &a half years Andy and to you too Forwards although I guess next weekend would be the more significant date.

Good luck on the job front MantaLady and I'm glad you got your boiler fixed before the holiday.

Sending positive vibes to all those experiencing harsh weather and climate conditions. I hope you all catch a break. 47C MAN! The thermometer on my balcony only goes up to 40C.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
I believe it's what the professional meteorologists used to call a "moist airstream" which sounds much less sensational.
.. or vaguely naughty.

I've not heard that one either.

And yeah, "Atmospheric River" is pretty great.

Thanks, Caramel.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Funnily enough I saw an Atmospheric River on my walk today.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Xmas parties has atmosphere
Old 12-21-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Congrats on 2.5 years Andy!!

Binge watching Orphan Black over the crimbo hols, just started season 3 and have to say I am hooked. x
Old 12-21-2019, 03:53 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Andyh

D
Old 12-21-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, keep safe

Kaily brilliant photo, certainly got a lot of atmosphere.

Hiya Midnight
Old 12-21-2019, 11:46 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Just wanna say that I caved on Friday but managed to stay sober the rest of my weekend and stayed sober through a family Xmas lunch today in which I was the only person who didn't have an alcoholic beverage.. So even though I drank on Friday I'm still 20 days sober in December and the rest of the month will be too cause as we all know that drinking thing sux!
Old 12-22-2019, 12:01 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Magsie

You’ll get there Red, maybe some new sober tools.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:10 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

The biggest thing for me is to remember that when feeling strong is when I'm at my weakest as strength brings complacency with me. Complacency brings openings for the AV and once those thoughts cross the mid line there's no going back for me.. Don't let the defences down is what I need to remember, stay on top of it and one step ahead at all times.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:26 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
The biggest thing for me is to remember that when feeling strong is when I'm at my weakest as strength brings complacency with me. Complacency brings openings for the AV and once those thoughts cross the mid line there's no going back for me.. Don't let the defences down is what I need to remember, stay on top of it and one step ahead at all times.
Yes once you have allowed the thought of I am going to drink all bets are off, the beast has got its way. Best thing is to shut the thoughts down as soon as they appear. Drinking is just not an option so no point even entertaining the idea. Easier said than done I know but with practice it can be done.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:09 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Red, like Kaily says, once you embrace the “drinking is not an option” belief it will get easier. I embraced it for 18 months and it was easier to fight the AV. But just after 18 months I got complacent, stopped working on recovery and opened the door for my AV and invited it for a chat...the moment I opened the lines of communication with my AV it had got me. I’ve drank 3 times since then in the last 2 months. So I am back to embracing the proven fact that drinking is not an option for me. Keep strong, loosing a battle doesn’t mean you still can’t win the war. xx
Old 12-22-2019, 05:26 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Red, well done on getting right back to the light.

It's not easy, no argument from me. The beginning is the hardest bit though.

I still get a random thought here and there that a drink might be....nonononononoNO. Sometimes I say, "No!" out loud. That's about as far as I will let it go, I don't go any further with it: just slam the door in its face. I don't drink. No sense spending any time thinking about it being a good idea.

I took a walk yesterday with my neighbor to look at the flooding in the area. It's pretty impressive! I should have taken pictures - maybe I'll go back out today. The rain has stopped but it's still dark so I can't see how high the river is, but it is still flying by. That much is evident from light reflections.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy Solstice:

longer days from now on!

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
You’ll get there Red, maybe some new sober tools.
* what Mags said, Red. what do you need to keep you safe in future?
Old 12-22-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2.5 years, Andy! That's an awesome achievement! Be sure you don't copy me, not that you would LOL. But seriously, I really appreciate all your support this year, after I relapsed after 2.5 years (NEVER to be repeated) I will never forget your kindness.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:29 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Whilst I'm on that note and reflecting over the last year, when I relapsed...

Bimini, you also, your support and perfectly worded, no nonsense, pragmatic, posts, conspired (? yup - against my A.V.) to get me back on the straight and narrow sobriety track. I will never forget your kindness, too.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You slipped but you got up again Tatsy that's what counts.

I went to the top end of Hampstead Heath this morning with some relatives I don't see very often which is kind of a relief because one of them, an aunt, could talk for England. Anyway, in compensation the sun shone briefly and there is a great view from the top of the Heath. You can see we have had a lot of rain recently (I hardly like to mention that given events in Australia)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20191222_131216.jpg (23.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-22-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Whilst I'm on that note and reflecting over the last year, when I relapsed...

Bimini, you also, your support and perfectly worded, no nonsense, pragmatic, posts, conspired (? yup - against my A.V.) to get me back on the straight and narrow sobriety track. I will never forget your kindness, too.
I am so so very happy that you pulled out of it, Tatsy.

That was all you. I appreciate the shout-out, though. Thank you.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Mr

Everyone, evening.

Good to hear from you MB

We went to one of those all you can eat asian food buffet places tonight for the dindins.

I think I may not have to eat again for 2019. I got my moneys worth as me ma would say.

I am making myself a tomorrow morning new day resolution now : "no matter what the weather is like going jogging in the morning"

Nighty night weekenders