Notices

Day 5

Old 12-13-2019, 04:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

Still very little sleep. That pull to grab some booze in the middle of the night to knock me out was there but I didn't dwell on it. I wish I had never used booze as a sleep aid. I'm still here though and still sober. One day at a time. Going to my 4th meeting in 4 days tonight. Does anyone else ever feel like a fraud next to all of the stories of wrecked lives? Like, do I belong here? I never hit "bottom".
Old 12-13-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about "bottom."

They say in AA, it hasn't happened to you, Y.E.T.

You're Eligible Too. Just keep drinking and all that misery is available to you. I hit my own personal bottom, though it didn't include jail, institutions or homelessness. Read, "They Stopped in Time" in that book the guy bought you. You're very lucky.

Congrats on Day Five.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I know what you mean about "bottom."

They say in AA, it hasn't happened to you, Y.E.T.

You're Eligible Too. Just keep drinking and all that misery is available to you. I hit my own personal bottom, though it didn't include jail, institutions or homelessness. Read, "They Stopped in Time" in that book the guy bought you. You're very lucky.

Congrats on Day Five.
Thanks Bimini. You've been a real help here. I'll skip right to those stories today when I have some idle time.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA is a very humbling place in general.

I was at a meeting once and it was time to pass out the sobriety chips, you know, the 60 Days, One Year, Five Year chips. . .

A young woman asked for a chip for her sister. She said, "Today is my sister's 10 year sober date. She died 10 years ago today and never had another drink."
Old 12-13-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
AA is a very humbling place in general.

I was at a meeting once and it was time to pass out the sobriety chips, you know, the 60 Days, One Year, Five Year chips. . .

A young woman asked for a chip for her sister. She said, "Today is my sister's 10 year sober date. She died 10 years ago today and never had another drink."
Whoa. Last night the leader of the meeting was clinically dead for 6 minutes once. That was the last time he drank. Scared the hell out of me.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you keep going to meetings you'll hear that a lot. It's nothing to play with.

People will go back out and drink again and die, too. That happens on an uncomfortably regular basis. In the few months that I went to meetings, it happened three times in just the small meetings I attended. Not to mention all the DUIs, the emergency room visits that ended in not-death and the many other scrapes with law enforcement or other problems.

Scary.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't worry about the sleep thing. It is the most typical part of sobriety as far as I can tell. Tired and clear and calm is so preferable to coming to from a drunk oblivion, which isn't really sleep either. Did you feel rested after that? I think not. I could drink and drink, then go to "sleep" for 14 hours straight, and wake up. Rested is the last way I would describe myself that morning.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it is great to read of a person who did not have to descend to a rock bottom, thus probably did not lose everything as I did. There is no competition- and you are not a fraud. Each of our stories is as important as all the others. Well done of posting.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I too feel like this sometimes.. I have been drinking daily for 20 years, sometimes half bottle of wine sometimes 1-2 bottles and on a binge more but everyday drinking. I've not hit rock bottom and I don't suffer withdrawls but alcohol has affected my life a lot.. I've put my life and others at risk, my every move and thought come 4pm is centered around getting a drink.
I do know in my heart that I belong here as I have a problem with alcohol..and at any stage something can happen that could tip me over the edge and I could end up a lot worse.. Let's beat this can'tsleep before it gets any worse..
Old 12-13-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I didn't quite hit rock bottom but my drinking was out of control and I was quickly descending at a very fast rate. The last year I ended up binging vodka for days and that was something new for me.

Im glad I stopped when I did because I still had the ability to make some choices with a good support network in place. Had I kept it up, I would have hit rock bottom and I would have had very little choice in anything so I figured it was better to change now while I could still repair things instead trying to salvage a complete wreck of a life.

Hang in there.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hit bottom almost completely. Fortunately, I didn't kill anyone and I was not successful in my suicide attempt. Now I am crawling out of the hole, but this time it feels like I coming back together in myself. Personally, I think this is what had to happen to me to finally wake up. But I know others that didn't have to fall so low and are doing great. Stay on the path. Keep looking forward and listen.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

to me a bottom is that point where you make the decision never again.

Some of us need to have some catastrophe occur before we hit that point, and others are a little smarter

You belong here can't sleep - hope your sleep will normalise soon - congrats on 5 days

D
Old 12-14-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input guys/gals! It makes me feel better to hear there are all sorts of types of alcoholics.