Notices

They didn't stop in time...

Old 12-12-2019, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They didn't stop in time...

I stopped drinking the first time when I was 28. I didn't have a drop for 14 years. I had many adventures throughout this time - international travel, calculated risks, occupational drama and success, extreme fitness, family, and adventure that best remains untold. Wasn't easy, but so worth it.

14 years later, at the ripe old age of 42, I stopped at a gas station, bought a six pack of some pumpkin-flavored brew, and drove to a girl's apartment. I was the only guy in an apartment with three twenty something girls, newly enrolled in an MBA program, spent 8 hours a week in the gym for a year beforehand, my shirt fit very well, and was making serious money. On. top. of. the. world. And for the first time in 14 years, I took a sip of alcohol.

I was terrified. I remembered the intense physical withdrawals years earlier. I was committed to a mental ward of a hospital with serious withdrawal symptoms, at the expense of my family. Even 14 years later, this nightmare was still vivid.

And it didn't take much to really tie one on that evening. As funny as it sounds, even after two brews over two hours I was nervous driving home. I googled how to prevent a hangover. Water, drink a lot of water. A slept fine, woke up fine, and there were no ill effects. Perfect.

It wasn't long until a tailgate party emerged, in the middle of a Saturday. Woodford Reserve was unexpectedly introduced. A Dixie cup of beer. Another. Oh my, what is this? A strong pull of Woodford. For this first time in over a decade I was indeed drunk. And it felt interesting and fun.

So let's jump to the conclusion. High blood pressure. Heart arrhythmia. Emergency rooms. Depression. Benzos. Mental breakdowns. Psychiatrists. Tears. Get-well-soon pictures from innocent children. Anti-depressants. Extreme withdrawal. Emergency rooms again. Family tears. Physical anguish.

That was four years ago. And since then I've went a week, two weeks, four weeks, 6 months, a year. A day. One hour. Wake in the middle of night and my heart is racing... six hours, never again. Phone apps, 48 hours, thank God almighty I made it 48 hours. The next day at work, 8 hours, my voice is weak, my skin is crawling, sweating, never again. 10 hours, laying in bed, can't go much longer without sleep, nightmares, sweating, no sleep. Day 4, I think I made it, I can sleep, pink cloud. Then dopamine levels drop, why not, drink again, can't sleep, nightmares.

Oh, never again. This cold turkey withdrawal is a nightmare. But I never have to do this again. Sweating, hearing music that is not there, heart racing, arrhythmia, this time it is dangerous, no benzos in the medicine cabinet, should I call a doctor? Somehow I've survived, now it's time for recovery, time for family... why the heck did I just stop at the liquor store?

Anyway, for some odd reason I always enjoyed the stories from the Big Book where the people where seriously ****** up. Morning drinking, DTs, fired from jobs, families losts.... oh I find it all so entertaining and inspirational. Maybe I'm a sucker for drama.

So here is one for all those with similar tastes... I have the perfect life. The best car money can buy. The finest watches. A beautiful wife. Children that are truly a blessing. The big house.

And it's all on line... I drink in the morning now, I shake, voice quivers, I stumble in the morning shower. I wake up at 4AM in terror, searching empty bottles for any last sip. I leave during lunch, slam several beers, and spend the rest of the day trying to cover my breath.

I'm best after I have a few. Playing with my children, talking to my wife. My voice is strong, and I am genuinely happy. It will wear off soon though, and I will be in an utter state of panic and misery.

So... this isn't exactly a story of "they stopped in time", but rather a story of "they decided to do it again". I always enjoyed those stories for some morbid reason. The constant happy endings never did it for me.

So for those with a little bit of sobriety under your belt.. there will come a time where you are tempted. For me it was 14 years later with some serious hotties involved. And just like that... poof. And let me tell you, the misery that followed, no man should endure.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support and advice can help you get sober for good this time.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reminder Jaimier, I know for sure I am very capable of a relapse, I think about it more than I should.

I hope you find your way back to sobriety ~ permanently.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by jaimier View Post
So for those with a little bit of sobriety under your belt.. there will come a time where you are tempted. For me it was 14 years later with some serious hotties involved. And just like that... poof. And let me tell you, the misery that followed, no man should endure.
Well it's not exactly a done deal J - only if you make it so. A man of your 'status' and money can probably afford a properly supervised detox, unlike some who are forced to go cold turkey.

Look forward to your family consequences and read up on the stages of alcoholism if you need incentive.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your story Jamier. Wife and children was all I remember. It's all up to you now and you can do it.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post. It was very entertaining to read, especially since I’m feeling down on Day 1 again.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, I hope you are able to get sober for good. Sounds like you’ve got a lot to be grateful for.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Jamier

I got to a point I was at my best after a brew or two as well. I look back now and see how frightening a situation that is.

I stopped drinking, got through the withdrawal, worked on my recovery, changed my life and now I'm at my best all the time....Not every day is a home run but I'm on the field every day

I don't think it's ever too late to turn things around, no matter how many times you've tried.

D
Old 12-13-2019, 02:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder man. Sorry it had to come at your expense. I'm around 20 months sober and have decided to start dating again. Theres a girl that's really into me and in casual conversation she mentioned she likes to drink often to relieve stress. I told her I didn't drink and it was awkward. Shes about 12 years younger than me and is pretty good looking. Anyway, the point is I have had thoughts about what if I get into a situation where I might possibly feel like having a couple. It terrifies me. My sobriety hasn't really been put to the test yet and I'm scared of how I'm going to react. I've been reading a few stories like this here. You made it 14 years so you can do it again. I'm pulling for you. Take your life back. Keep us updated.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jaimier,
WOW. That's an intense post. You haven't posted here in over three years. I hope you can pull through and get to long term sobriety again.

To echo what has already been said I hope you stick around and keep posting. You have my support.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your description of living with withdrawal and drinking is something I need to read every day, you describe it perfectly. I hope you can find the light.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for your story, it is pretty scary that you can have 14 years sober and just like that it is gone. A good reminder for me with the holiday season approaching, to be on guard and work at sobriety everyday and to not become complacent.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Jaimier. The Newcomer forum is generally such a welcoming kind place though sometimes I feel like people can be a little harsh. I hope you find lots of support here for getting back to a sober life.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What were you doing going to a 20-something girl's apartment? I can't help but think there is a bigger story here about entitlement and secrets.

No matter, none of my business.

I went back to a drink after many years sober and I won't make that mistake again. I hope you dig your way out. Alcohol is definitely no respecter of leather interiors.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can have the sober life again Jaimier. Use your means to make that happen no matter what kind of perceived status you lose. You likely aren't perceived by others to be such a stellar success by the way. People aren't stupid. And I am filled with doubt about whether you are at your best after you've had a few. My guess is your loud and clear voice is a trigger to those around you that a drunk person is on the way and about to ruin our time. Again. You sound like you can do anything you want. Sell your car and use those resources to get some real help. This site is a great place to start. If you are open to it there is a goldmine of support here. As to your story, you tell it very well and you are obviously a talented writer. But it is a VERY typical story here and everywhere else. Nothing shocks and it isn't cinematic. It is just another person suffering who doesn't need to. Join us Jaimier and live your sober life again like you did before.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
You can have the sober life again Jaimier. Use your means to make that happen no matter what kind of perceived status you lose. You likely aren't perceived by others to be such a stellar success by the way. People aren't stupid. And I am filled with doubt about whether you are at your best after you've had a few. My guess is your loud and clear voice is a trigger to those around you that a drunk person is on the way and about to ruin our time. Again. You sound like you can do anything you want. Sell your car and use those resources to get some real help. This site is a great place to start. If you are open to it there is a goldmine of support here. As to your story, you tell it very well and you are obviously a talented writer. But it is a VERY typical story here and everywhere else. Nothing shocks and it isn't cinematic. It is just another person suffering who doesn't need to. Join us Jaimier and live your sober life again like you did before.
Well said. Use those resources and check into somewhere.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing and that is such a reminder to us all. I am at a year sober and that brought back memories of a time i do not want to repeat.
The anxiety and withdrawal....just aweful.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Points well taken, sir. Thank you for the candid feedback.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your story does strike me as a bit odd. If you have a beautiful wife what were you doing hanging out with 3 twenty something hotties?
Your arrogance is a bit off putting. Still, I hope you can find peace and sobriety.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hang on folks. Where did all this judgement come from? We are all in the same boat here.

Jaimier, I am sorry to read that you are now in the thick of it. Your post was very intense and so well written. It explored the madness of addiction in such a descriptive way. Please seek out all help you can to get sober again and stay that way.