Notices

Doing it right this time....7 months now :)

Old 12-12-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing it right this time....7 months now :)

Hi all,

I joined this board in the Summer of 2014 after being in my first Treatment Centre (note the word 'first', so you can probably see where this is headed...) I stayed sober for most of the time between 2014-2016 but never really threw in the towel with my alcoholism to be honest.

Then the doubts, denial, etc all came back and the bingeing started yet again. The relapses started getting worse and worse, (ended up in A+E 2 times in 2 years with drunk injuries, numerous fights, etc) I could stop drinking (for longish periods at that, 3, 6 months,etc) but could or probably never wanted to stop fully, until now...

Fast forward to this year, and all the supposed 'control' I thought I had over drink had disappeared fully this time, I knew the game was up. Had a huge bender in May and barely survived it to be fair, I'm talking blackout drinking (with cocaine) for a full week, totally blacked out for 4 days straight, thought I was going to get a heart attack going through withdrawals, a very hard detox. Back into Treatment for 2 weeks and gave it a full, honest go this time around. Sober now 7 months with an actual honest desire to stop this time- for good.

In a way I'm glad I did it the hard way cos I would never learn anyway other, I'm just that type of person. Hope to be fully active in this board/community moving forward. Thanks for reading
Old 12-12-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you had to go though all that but welcome back Reid

D
Old 12-12-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Reid and congratulations on your recovery. Sometimes we have to go through a lot to get to where we need to be.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm also at seven months, after finally accepting the game was up.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,
Congrats on 7 months. Thank you for sharing your story. I need to remind myself to fully surrender. Your recovery sounds awesome and you are going in the right direction. No doubt you will help many many people.