Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

BAH HUMBUG! ‘‘Tis the season of - Weekenders 13 - 16 December 2019

Notices

BAH HUMBUG! ‘‘Tis the season of - Weekenders 13 - 16 December 2019

Old 12-13-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

nothing to see here...
Old 12-13-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Wonderful Opening Post, dear Mags.

Another Weekend. We can do this and do it well.

Love to all.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I know your right Bim.

I don't know if it is the Scrooge in me or the addict that makes it so hard to throw it away. Amazing all the different feelings just having that bottle of wine in the house can bring. I sorta know i'm safe until i'm not. What I mean is if I suddenly got bad news with that in the house all bets would be off.

If I pour it away I have to open it, smell it, resist it. If I bin it I can just retrieve it.

Oh so ridiculous.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Kaily, has it gone down the drain yet? If not, can you walk to a neighbour and hand it over as a gift?
Old 12-13-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Happy Friday The 13th ~

Nuffin' but good luck here, since it'll be another sober one for me. The only kind I know anymore.

MesaMate's been referencing her Mom's Cookbooks, and knocking out the fabola Xmas Cookies. Despite that, I've managed to drop a few more Pounds on my sporadic Diet. The Peripheral Neuropathy has calmed way down, so things are on the up.

I got my JBL Studio Monitor Speakers by Truck yesterday, and spent hours hauling out old Gear, and hooking up new Gear. Just like that, you can really hear subtle things, and differences in Production. Good fun! One Track from the MTV Years I just blasted is this Aerosmith tune about the Band kicking assorted Addictions a few Decades ago.

~ Monkey On My Back ~ Aerosmith ~

I happened across this Pooch in a Backyard living on a 20' Chain in the back part of a really run-down House in Town. So, I'm kinda 'fostering' him. I stop by to talk to him daily, and take him a couple of Milkbone Biscuits before taking MesaDog to the Dog Park nearby. He's this massive ~140 lb. [64 Kg.] Mastiff that gets pretty excited to see me now when I approach in the Alley. I figger a tiny bit of Xmas give-back is to make his life a lil happier. All I can do.

Great opener, Mags. Tnx!

I ran across this Pic from the CA Coast by Mendocino taken earlier this Year, and like the Serenity it coveys...

Old 12-13-2019, 09:36 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

MesaMan, you always select the best songs at opportune times!

Please eat a few MesaMate's Mom's cookies for me!

You've a big heart, I'm glad the chained-up Mastiff dog came to your attention.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
saoutchik

What a crap day! TGI Friday.

I used to see a guy in a suit on the Underground who would take a crafty swig from one of those quarter size bottles of Vodka on the morning commute. I always felt really sorry for him and I wanted to say something but it was the rush hour commute (and in London where talking to strangers is just not done).

Three years ago a client sent me an "advent calender" which was a pretty big thing that had a different Skandinavian craft beer in each day. I gave it to someone else but it was hard because it was a nice gift if you were a normie.

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
I didn't always hate Xmas but I gradually began to realize what a let down it is. I compare myself to others and I depress myself. I want to try the opposite and be grateful. Highs and lows.
Christmas is never as good as all those leering Christmas jumper clad TV presenters would have us believe. As long as you're not drinking Pressme you're doing better than a lot of people.

Good man Mesa for bringing some pleasure to that pooch's existence, well done Sir! I feel like I have seen that cove in a movie somewhere but I cannot think which one. Cool pic anyway.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Oh, I almost forgot, my favourite music show from the 70s was called Revolver.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I will dispatch the wine somewhere far far away tomorrow.

Poor dog, so pleased your giving him some kindness Mesa. Hope his life isn't as sad as it sounds.

Sao I don't recall Revolver at all. I do remember trying to tape the chart show Sunday evenings on the radio without any getting of the talking.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Sao I don't recall Revolver at all. I do remember trying to tape the chart show Sunday evenings on the radio without any getting of the talking.
LOL! I Googled it and it seems that Revolver was a bit of a turkey and canned after only eight episodes. Trust me to me the one person in the country that liked it.

Stevie Wonder once released two albums in the space of a few weeks and while the whole world was buying and enjoying one of them - Hotter Than July, me and about two others globally bought The Secret Life of Plants
Old 12-13-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders, count me in! ☼
Old 12-13-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I know your right Bim.

I don't know if it is the Scrooge in me or the addict that makes it so hard to throw it away.
Its the alcoholic I think. It cost you nothing.
Dump it and consider it an investment in your ongoing recovery Kaily.

D
Old 12-13-2019, 09:32 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Yes your right Dee. I wouldn't be having this drama over something I wasn't addicted to. If it wasn't so dangerous it would actually be fascinating. First thing I thought of when I opened my eyes this morning was there is wine downstairs. Seems my addiction is prevalent as ever.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:33 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its what we do in response that counts Kaily

D
Old 12-13-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Kaily, it’s just a measly £5-20 bottle, but to us it’s poison. Don’t have that first drink. Play the tape forward, to the end.

MesaMan love picture, looks familiar to me too. Such a lovely act giving the tied up dog some treats.

Saou, I regift any alcohol I receive too. My friends know I don’t drink but I really don’t think some understand ‘don’t drink’. I don’t feel the need to explain the nittygritty.

Crashed out when I got home from visiting family and friends yesterday.

A medieval Christmas fayre is on this weekend at Normanby Country Park. Should be a nice outing unless it’s rained off. Then there’s always the coffee shop.

Catch you later x
Old 12-13-2019, 10:41 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Magsie

A pic of Cleethorpes beach yesterday morning.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:02 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
saoutchik

A Medieval Christmas fayre sounds good Mags, I hope the rain stays away. It looks an impressive beach too although I wouldn't fancy a dip at this time of the year.

Kaily, I hope you got rid of the wine, these things have a way of keep creeping in to your consciousness.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:46 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Magsie

Saou, I wasn’t tempted, for some reason.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:26 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh apparently it’s an Historic travelling Christmas market not medieval. I saw straw in the floor in the photos and my brain saw medieval
Old 12-14-2019, 01:06 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I hope you pour that wine down the sink Kaily, I know that for me it would be too much temptation and my thinking would start to creep back into poor patterns whilst it was sat there.

Weather report says were meant to have snow at mine all weekend but not a flake yet. I’ll have to move my car down to the main village road as if any does come I’ll be stuck up here on the lane and won’t be able to move the car. I’m curious to what little Max kitten will make of the snow if it comes too.

Ahh, taping the charts! Great days, jumpers for goalposts and all that lol. I recall having a little portable tape player that didn’t have radio, so one summer I recorded “Young at heart” by the bluebells and you could hear next doors lawn mower on the recording. I proudly listened to it all summer and zoned out the lawn mower noise haha!!

Nice to see Canadian Koala, Snazzy and Mesa too, missed you guys x

Well, sat here with the log fire blaring, a cup of tea and hugely appreciating a feeling of contentment. It means so much more than usual and I am proud of myself too. On the way home last night the craving to buy wine was strong. If I had given in, this morning would look very very different and I am so grateful to be sober instead.

Have a super day people!! xx