Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

BAH HUMBUG! ‘‘Tis the season of - Weekenders 13 - 16 December 2019

Notices

BAH HUMBUG! ‘‘Tis the season of - Weekenders 13 - 16 December 2019

Old 12-12-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Hi Vinny! Glad you are back home. It's perfectly understandable that you are feeling emotionally fragile right now. In fact, I think it's a very good sign. I'd be worried about someone who didn't feel a bit fragile after such an intense experience. To me it says that you opened up and allowed yourself to really partake in your recovery. And it's great that you are aware that returning to work right now might not be the best idea.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi, Vman.

I'm glad you're home and have some more time off. Well done doing the hard work.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Vinny, pleased you’re home. It’s great you have some more ‘me’ time before you venture back to work.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
I loved last weeks too. I feel like i maybe finally getting off half a rotten layer on the onion and starting to get a little grip on controlling thoughts creeping in and out of my head....
Kick those bad ones out and keep hold of the good ones, they'll start multiplying in there I bet. Merry Christmas, Vman! Likewise to all you fine Weekender people. Excellent original post by Mags, really nice with the art and everything. Charles Dickens ftw! If even Ebenezer Scrooge can wise up, there's hope for us all.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you bexxed, Lunar, DriGuy and SnazzyDresser!

Congratulations on completing your rehab VMan, taking the Xmas period off makes sense too in as much as it removes a couple of bits of added pressure - general work stress plus collegues etc partying at this time of year. Home is better under the circumstances.

I played Elected by Alice Cooper near the top of the thread, here's a little curio or piece of trivia. In the late 1960's just before they went into their familiar goth/horror mode they were on the edges of the hippy trippy scene and had this song called Reflected which they adapted later on to the much better known track, Elected. Anyway here is a very young and vaguely wholesome looking Alice Cooper with the original. It's not very good but it is definitely interesting.

https://youtu.be/U3gFL9QRMqE
Old 12-12-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Mags - where do you come up with these titles for these threads? I love it!
Old 12-12-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

HeadEast, I usually build on a word and hopefully find a topic from that. I can go through a few words before I think it’s right, then it might not be.

All roads are going the same way though and we all want the same thing in the end....Freedom from booze...Sobriety
Old 12-12-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I started playing that clip, Saou, before finish reading you post and thought WT!!??

Two hard long and late days at work with out of town contractors on a project that by this morning I thought was doomed. We finally started making headway around noon when we were hit by a power failure. We relocated and dug in. By this evening, we have a functioning system, all were relived and contractors are on their flights home. On my way home, after spotting a billboard hawking booze, I was hit by a hankering for the stuff. Luckily it doesn't have much hold on me these days, but upsetting that it still happens once and awhile.

Sooo looking forward to Friday....
Old 12-12-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Dragon, it’s good you can squash any feelings of booze. It’s pretty much in our face on the lead up to Christmas.

Off to Cleethorpes today to visit my step mum then my friend who I’ve been friends with forever.. we don’t see as much of each other nowadays but with good old WhatsApp we can catch up constantly.

Have a good Friday, we can make today and the weekend sober too.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, it is grim outside.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

1st night of the weekend down and I'm sober..
I will be safe until about 730ish sat night when I go out for my partners Xmas Dinner... We are being picked up by a taxi so my plan of driving is out so I need to put a different plan together..not sure what yet..
Old 12-12-2019, 11:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I didn't always hate Xmas but I gradually began to realize what a let down it is. I compare myself to others and I depress myself. I want to try the opposite and be grateful. Highs and lows.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:48 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Morning Lovely Weekenders! So good to see you Vinny, take it easy and watch some Brene Brown YouTube’ on vulnerability to get some perspective. It’s ok to be vulnerable, embrace it and don’t put to much pressure on yourself.

So glad it’s Friday, 1 more week to get through and then 2 weeks holiday which I am hugely looking forward to. Xmas...bah humbug I say lol. I love the lights and twinkles and comfort food, but I don’t buy into any of the rest of it. Just glad to have some time off!

Red, you could always put your foot down, cancel the taxi and say you are driving? You don’t “have” to do anything that does not serve you in a positive way when it comes to protecting your sobriety x

Here’s to another sober weekend!
Old 12-13-2019, 12:04 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

On the tube yesterday was a youngish lady can of extra strong lager in one hand and cider in the other. Despite the carriage being packed the seats either side of her were empty. Her face was absolutely full of despair, young but old, tragic. The aroma of alcohol coming from her was strong. My heart went out to her, I could almost feel her pain.

It was a stark reminder of how bad things get and also how far I have come as that was me. Not riding the tube as she was but at home totally reliant on alcohol from dawn till dusk and beyond.

As we left the train my Dad commented that he sees her around locally all the time and that she is always in that state, he doesn't get it, never will.

Takes one to know and understand one I guess. For selfish reasons I am glad I had that reminder.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good morning weekenders. I'm in...

Thanks Mags for the thread - thought provoking stuff as always. I shudder to think of my own Christmas Pasts. Last year I was clinging on to a few weeks sobriety then drank again (though very little) on NYE. This year will be different.

Hi Kaily, it always saddens me when I see others 'still suffering' as AA put it, and I can spot them easily these days. I always pray that they will somehow find recovery before it's too late. I thought though that drinking on the tube was banned these days?

Hi Manta, my work colleagues are actually increasing their workload in the runup to Christmas in order to get everything done. I'd like to do the same but my projects are less of a priority. Still, I'm hugely grateful to be busy and appreciated....

Vman, glad you're home. Do be a bit cautious - I remember being very fragile right after rehab myself.

Warm wishes to all as always. Forwards.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Happy Friday the 13th!
Old 12-13-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sao, I'm glad Alice rethought that "Reflected" title and theme. It did take me back to pre-MTV, though. The 70s again, right? Don't remember.

Is MTV still on?

Forwards, we all have some past holidays that are better forgotten, I would think.

Stick with us, Weekenders. It's Friday the 13th. You know it would be a very bad day indeed to drink. So I won't.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Bim - MTV is still on but it bears almost no resemblance to the early MTV we remember. It's a wasteland of stupid reality-type shows and game shows and other popular culture stuff. I don't even know if they ever play music videos anymore. Someone else might know. I think VH1 still has some music content, but I'm not even sure about that.

I am so dang excited that it's Friday. It's the end of the semester here at work, and it's been a doozy. Next week is finals, then after that I'll have over a month of a sort of break. The next real semester doesn't start until January 27. In between is what's called J-Term - there are classes but mostly online. So there won't be very many students on campus, very few faculty. Just us administrative types, and people tend to take vacations. So it gives me a chance to take a breath or two, get things organized, catch up on bigger projects, take some time off. Can't wait.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Ha MTV I never really liked it but you were considered cool if you did watch it. I liked being cool so I watched.

I have got wine in the house. Some well meaning person gifted it to me today. I don't feel safe with it here, already it calls to me yet I can't pour it out. Always did struggle with that. It needs to go.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I hope you pour it out, Kaily. If the bottle isn't open I would just throw the bottle.

I don't accept gifts of alcohol, but some people do things like leave it on doorsteps maybe? I guess if that happened I wouldn't open it and I would re-gift it to the neighbors. It wouldn't trigger me to drink.

Come back and tell us that it's done.