SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Bipolar diagnosis (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/444027-bipolar-diagnosis.html)

Tinkerbeau 12-11-2019 08:34 AM

Bipolar diagnosis

After another terrible weekend a doctor from the crisis team came to see me and has diagnosed me with bipolar disorder. I have been on the wrong medication for almost 2 years which has been making me worse. I'm hoping this will be a turning point and i get the help i need. Today is day 1.

fini 12-11-2019 08:47 AM

yes; sending wishes the diagnosis will lead to more appropriate care from health teams.
way to go on day 1!

cantsleep123 12-11-2019 08:49 AM

Good luck with your journey. I really hope they get you on the right medication quickly and that you don't have to experiment. I really wish there was a better way of figuring out which meds are best for each person.

ScottFromWI 12-11-2019 08:52 AM

Glad to hear that the problem has been identified Tinkerbeau, knowing that makes getting better much more do-able.

ShiftHappens 12-11-2019 08:56 AM

Praying you find what works for you and gives you peace and clarity.

Just a reminder from someone whos been there, even though Im sure you know this:

Do NOT drink if you are taking medication. EVER.

Boy did I think I was "smart" and knew myself...blah blah blah...

There are no words for the mental HELL I put myself in trying to feel better.

Just take extra special care of yourself and allow the meds to work.

Tinkerbeau 12-11-2019 09:11 AM

Thank you all for your kindness, no i won't drink, i desperately want to get better

least 12-11-2019 09:26 AM

I am on meds for bipolar and they help a lot. :hug:

HeadEast 12-11-2019 09:37 AM

I was diagnosed with bipolar earlier this year. Congratulations on Day 1 and find a psychiatrist and find some meds that work.

Tinkerbeau 12-11-2019 09:51 AM

Thank you least and headeast, i feel less alone now, did taking the medication help with staying sober ?

Anna 12-11-2019 10:15 AM

Tinker, darn that it took so long to get the correct diagnosis. But, hopefully this will make a positive change in your life.

JScatt 12-11-2019 10:17 AM

Hi Tink! Glad you are getting things figured out. This comment is 100% my opinion and based on past experiences with Dr's......
I would get a second opinion on your Bipolar diagnosis, IMO sometimes Dr's, psychiatrists etc are to quick on making a diagnosis and start pumping people full of unnecessary drugs.
In my early days of sobriety I was diagnosed with everything from Bipolar to manic depression, I finally found a Dr who gave me the best advice, "sober up for a year and we'll go from there" after a year of sobriety I was living a very happy, fulfilled life without taking a single pill.

ShiftHappens 12-11-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by JScatt (Post 7330745)
Hi Tink! Glad you are getting things figured out. This comment is 100% my opinion and based on past experiences with Dr's......
I would get a second opinion on your Bipolar diagnosis, IMO sometimes Dr's, psychiatrists etc are to quick on making a diagnosis and start pumping people full of unnecessary drugs.
In my early days of sobriety I was diagnosed with everything from Bipolar to manic depression, I finally found a Dr who gave me the best advice, "sober up for a year and we'll go from there" after a year of sobriety I was living a very happy, fulfilled life without taking a single pill.

I tend to agree with you.

I had a diagnosis of anxiety, ptsd, BEFORE I ever started drinking.

I dont believe an accurate diagnosis can be made UNTIL one is off alcohol for a year.

This is an individual decision I suppose, and since everyone is different...

Whatever they give you if you feel better mentally and it helps you stop drinking its a good thing.

If you are the same or worse in three months, Id run and get another opinion

Tinkerbeau 12-11-2019 12:16 PM

I'm just willing to try anything to get better, as i cant go on this way.

ShiftHappens 12-11-2019 12:19 PM

Thats where I was too. Thank God it worked.

Praying this does the trick for you.

I know I couldnt go one more day the way I was.

DriGuy 12-11-2019 12:22 PM

I'm happy to hear this reason for new hope.

least 12-11-2019 12:49 PM

Taking meds for bipolar didn't help my recovery but it did help my bipolar.

Dee74 12-11-2019 01:35 PM

I'm glad you have the correct diagnosis now TB.
A lot of people it seems have both BPD and alcoholism.

I too hope this will be a turning point for you with both things :)

D

Tinkerbeau 12-12-2019 12:27 PM

Thanks everyone end of day 2 and feeling ready for this new start, scared but also hopeful that coming to terms with this and learning to look after myself properly with begin the changes i need

hopeful4 12-12-2019 12:35 PM

Tink, I actually think this is excellent news. Many people with bipolar are misdiagnosed. It's important to know what you are dealing with so you can effectively move forward with treatment. Keep at it!!!

ThatWasTheOldMe 12-12-2019 01:11 PM

Bipolar and substance abuse disorders often go hand in hand and even feed off one another.

This is excellent news for your future, Tinkerbeau.

Tailai 12-12-2019 01:48 PM

Also bipolar and the diagnosis helped me a lot in that it made me aware of things I needed to control especially sleep when the elevated episodes get out of hand and general self awareness of changes in behavior both up and down. Sobriety is absolutely essential for me to manage this. I hope you find what works best for you.

HeadEast 12-13-2019 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau (Post 7330722)
Thank you least and headeast, i feel less alone now, did taking the medication help with staying sober ?

Sorry for the late response. I just saw your question.

Yes it does help you stay sober, but often in small ways you probably won't realize. Alcohol can affect how well psych meds work. If the meds aren't working as well as they are designed, there is a tendency to try to self medicate to try to feel better. Alcohol is easy to try to self medicate with, so you drink alcohol and it affects the meds and all of a sudden you are caught in this vicious little circle that makes it harder to stay stopped.

I'm 61 years old and have dealt with mental health issues all my life. My advice to you would be to be really involved in your health care. Question everything. If a med isn't working, see your doctor. If you don't like your doctor, see another. Do other things to help in addition to medication. Exercise. Yoga. Meditation. Psychotherapy. Start a journal. Look for additional ideas on the internet. Mental health issues are awful, but you are not alone. I wish you the best.

Bonniefloyd 12-13-2019 11:04 AM

It’s so great that you have a diagnosis. Bipolar disorder is generally treatable, and it’s possible to live a very normal life with this diagnosis. My daughter has it, and getting on the right meds made such a difference. She still has to occasionally adjust the dosage, etc, but the right meds + sobriety keep things manageable.

I hope you’ll stay away from alcohol and give your meds the chance to work. It can take a little while for them to make a noticeable difference, but hang in there. :)

snitch 12-13-2019 11:18 AM

I am glad to read that you have the correct diagnosis Tinkerbeau. I suffer from depression but i also suffer from alcoholism. My depression meds do not treat my alcoholism. That is just my experience. I hope this is the beginning of you getting your health and your life back. You deserve it!!

Xx

Tinkerbeau 12-13-2019 12:48 PM

Thanks everyone its such a support to hear other people's experiences of this, and hoping once i start the meds they will help stop me keep falling into this vicious cycle. I know staying away from alcohol is number 1, but i am going to start journaling and looking after my health eating and sleeping better and getting exercise and try some new hobbies. I see this now as a whole shift in life. Well end of day 3

hopeful4 12-13-2019 01:51 PM

That's wonderful!

HeadEast 12-13-2019 06:46 PM

That really is wonderful!

Fearlessat50 12-13-2019 07:09 PM

Congrats on day 3 Tink! When do you start your meds? I think this is a good thing that you have an accurate diagnosis now because you can finally get the right treatment and that should help with the temptation to self medicate

Tinkerbeau 12-14-2019 12:52 AM

I should be starting them on monday, when the nurse comes back out. Going to look after myself and my son this weekend, he wants to go swimming so we can do that and maybe cuddle up with a Christmas film later.