Notices

Bipolar diagnosis

Old 12-12-2019, 01:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Also bipolar and the diagnosis helped me a lot in that it made me aware of things I needed to control especially sleep when the elevated episodes get out of hand and general self awareness of changes in behavior both up and down. Sobriety is absolutely essential for me to manage this. I hope you find what works best for you.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
Thank you least and headeast, i feel less alone now, did taking the medication help with staying sober ?
Sorry for the late response. I just saw your question.

Yes it does help you stay sober, but often in small ways you probably won't realize. Alcohol can affect how well psych meds work. If the meds aren't working as well as they are designed, there is a tendency to try to self medicate to try to feel better. Alcohol is easy to try to self medicate with, so you drink alcohol and it affects the meds and all of a sudden you are caught in this vicious little circle that makes it harder to stay stopped.

I'm 61 years old and have dealt with mental health issues all my life. My advice to you would be to be really involved in your health care. Question everything. If a med isn't working, see your doctor. If you don't like your doctor, see another. Do other things to help in addition to medication. Exercise. Yoga. Meditation. Psychotherapy. Start a journal. Look for additional ideas on the internet. Mental health issues are awful, but you are not alone. I wish you the best.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It’s so great that you have a diagnosis. Bipolar disorder is generally treatable, and it’s possible to live a very normal life with this diagnosis. My daughter has it, and getting on the right meds made such a difference. She still has to occasionally adjust the dosage, etc, but the right meds + sobriety keep things manageable.

I hope you’ll stay away from alcohol and give your meds the chance to work. It can take a little while for them to make a noticeable difference, but hang in there.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am glad to read that you have the correct diagnosis Tinkerbeau. I suffer from depression but i also suffer from alcoholism. My depression meds do not treat my alcoholism. That is just my experience. I hope this is the beginning of you getting your health and your life back. You deserve it!!

Xx
Old 12-13-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone its such a support to hear other people's experiences of this, and hoping once i start the meds they will help stop me keep falling into this vicious cycle. I know staying away from alcohol is number 1, but i am going to start journaling and looking after my health eating and sleeping better and getting exercise and try some new hobbies. I see this now as a whole shift in life. Well end of day 3
Old 12-13-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That's wonderful!
Old 12-13-2019, 06:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That really is wonderful!
Old 12-13-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3 Tink! When do you start your meds? I think this is a good thing that you have an accurate diagnosis now because you can finally get the right treatment and that should help with the temptation to self medicate
Old 12-14-2019, 12:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I should be starting them on monday, when the nurse comes back out. Going to look after myself and my son this weekend, he wants to go swimming so we can do that and maybe cuddle up with a Christmas film later.