Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Three years sober and dealing with treatment resistant depression

Notices

Three years sober and dealing with treatment resistant depression

Old 12-19-2019, 09:45 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladysadie View Post
So sorry for your depression but if you have tried 18 different medications along with taking the Ativan (a Benzo) continuously for three years, you might want to talk to your medical doctor about withdrawing from the benzos as they can be a bitc* kitty to withdraw from. It could be that the Ativan is the culprit to the painful depression?

I hear you on the fact of "where has my life-force joy of living gone to". It is there in your DNA but the rewiring of our brains takes time, months and sometimes even years. I have likewise let myself go, lost friendships, lost my desires and interests I once had. I have lost pets that have passed away only to feel I had no energy for a new one. I used to be active in my community and gave many interests up. But like you, I want very badly to get back on track as there is plenty of life left to live.

Today is a good day to start walking forward. Part of my own plan is to get outside with my feet in the dirt/grass/nature. Spend less time in my head and more time moving. This is the end of a very hard year for me, I want the new year to be different. I hope you can figure out your body-mind connection with the help of your Primary Care physician. Perhaps maybe change your psychiatrist to a more holistic practitioner? One who can help restore your beautiful brain into healthy vibrant self? Sending you hugs.
Thank you for your response. This is my third recurrent depression and by far the most severe . Started after I quit drinking and hasn’t gone into remission for three years . Small town ..... holistic practitioners hard to come by . I just feel hopeless . Am currently still dealing with what I think are withdrawals from the Paxil and lamictal. Still have to come off the Ativan . So I abused alcohol for 14 years through menopause then went cold turkey and immediately went into this depression where I have been given 18 different meds . I am suicidal right now as I think I have really screwed up my brain chemistry . Don’t know if I can ever come back from this . I am 58 and 9 years postmenopausal but I keep asking about hrt maybe with an antidepressant and no one has any feedback on that . I’m at a complete loss .
Old 12-19-2019, 09:52 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
Hi rharman, I was just wondering how you were doing.
Hi HeadEast . I’m not doing well at all . Came off Paxil and lamictal a couple days ago . I can only guess I am having horrible withdrawals. Still on ativan . Has to increase that and have been taking it everyday for three years since this whole nightmare started . All I do is sob all day . Today felt completely like a zombie , in a haze and completely disoriented. I have pretty much felt this way for three years but it seems to be getting worse . I am a completely empty shell of a person . Complete cancer of my soul . Would have never imagined when I stopped drinking three years ago that it would have put me on this horrific journey . My life as I once knew it is gone . I deeply appreciate your asking about me . Hope you are well .
Old 12-20-2019, 01:25 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I sent you a message the other day.

You didnt receive it?

If not I'll try to resend.

Sorry you're still feeling like this.

There IS a solution. I believe you're just chemically screwed up.

My suggestion was to taper off what youre taking with the help of your psych doc and start fresh with another doctor.

What this doctor is doing obviously isnt helping.

Menopause, pills, alcohol for 14 years...youre body, mind and spirit are in turmoil.

Please be good to yourself. There is a solution.

I dont know what hrt is. All I know is theres been a huge turn around in me in just 4 months now.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Ok, hormone replacement.

You'll have to forgive me, I log on here after I make my coffee and it's usually before the sun comes up.

It didnt click because HRT has never been an option for me as my mother died of breast cancer at age 39 and they wont chance it.

But somehow, Im still here and regaining my interest in life,

Honestly, I dumped my husband, therapist who wasnt doing us any good, and started from scratch.

Some fits, starts and alcohol binges and I seem to be getting it right this time.

New GP, some low dose meds, just allowing healing.

No drama, no rainbows and unicorns. Just BETTER.

Before you mess with HRT, Id be off all those meds youre taking. Especially the Ativan

I was so reliant on benzos. I used to have BAD panic attacks.

Ive been fine for 4 months.

And I was where you are.

I have no desire to drink, but even if I did it is not an option for me. It makes me absolutely insane.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:08 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I understand what you are going through because I'm going through the same thing. Any of these meds can cause withdrawal symptoms because it is thought they might be working at some level you don't realize and when you stop them it makes the depression worse. Lamactil is especially that way. My Dr. had me taper off that one when I quit it. I couldn't agree more with Shift about trying a new doctor. We all could benefit from a second opinion for any medical condition. Stopping Ativan is going to be a challenge and you may require medical help with that one. In fact, I would absolutely recommend medical help for stopping Ativan feeling like you do. Also get a second opinion. It doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShiftHappens View Post
Ok, hormone replacement.

You'll have to forgive me, I log on here after I make my coffee and it's usually before the sun comes up.

It didnt click because HRT has never been an option for me as my mother died of breast cancer at age 39 and they wont chance it.

But somehow, Im still here and regaining my interest in life,

Honestly, I dumped my husband, therapist who wasnt doing us any good, and started from scratch.

Some fits, starts and alcohol binges and I seem to be getting it right this time.

New GP, some low dose meds, just allowing healing.

No drama, no rainbows and unicorns. Just BETTER.

Before you mess with HRT, Id be off all those meds youre taking. Especially the Ativan

I was so reliant on benzos. I used to have BAD panic attacks.

Ive been fine for 4 months.

And I was where you are.

I have no desire to drink, but even if I did it is not an option for me. It makes me absolutely insane.
Did you have a hard time coming off the benzos ? I feel like I’m getting withdrawals trying to come off the other two . I’m so scared . I have battled depression for 28 years but nothing like this one . I am in bed all day again today . Called off work for the fifth time this month . I know this is a very personal question, but did you feel suicidal ? I have a lot , especially since tapering off these meds . I’m scared about having to try ECT or ketamine...... just don’t know what to do and what I’m doing right now is just giving up .
Old 12-20-2019, 12:21 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I understand what you are going through because I'm going through the same thing. Any of these meds can cause withdrawal symptoms because it is thought they might be working at some level you don't realize and when you stop them it makes the depression worse. Lamactil is especially that way. My Dr. had me taper off that one when I quit it. I couldn't agree more with Shift about trying a new doctor. We all could benefit from a second opinion for any medical condition. Stopping Ativan is going to be a challenge and you may require medical help with that one. In fact, I would absolutely recommend medical help for stopping Ativan feeling like you do. Also get a second opinion. It doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.
Thanks HeadEast . I simply can’t get out of bed anymore. I’m losing family and friends .
Old 12-20-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I absolutely was suicidal. Of couse I didn't want to die, but I wanted to be free of the hell I was in.

If Im getting better, you can absolutely get better.

Come off of the crapolla youre on with the help of your doctor. please dont fo this by yourself.

I was a smart a** who thought I could do everything. I would never do it again.

And I NEVER thought I'd see the day where I didnt have Klonopin or Ativan in the house "just in case" ( I really suffered with panic). But I havent picked up my prescription renewal and will tell the doctor I dint need it anymore when I see her in January.

The two anti D's she gave me must have worked.

Im truly amazed..

I was in bed for two weeks after my last binge.

You need to go easy on yourself and make some life adjustments to support healing but thats a good thing.

Dont even worry about Ketamine etc. Thats a last resort and I believe you have many other options.

its entirely possible for you to totally bounce back.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I sent you a message the other day.

You didnt receive it?

If not I'll try to resend.

Sorry you're still feeling like this.

There IS a solution. I believe you're just chemically screwed up.

My suggestion was to taper off what youre taking with the help of your psych doc and start fresh with another doctor.

What this doctor is doing obviously isnt helping.

Menopause, pills, alcohol for 14 years...youre body, mind and spirit are in turmoil.

Please be good to yourself. There is a solution.

I dont know what hrt is. All I know is theres been a huge turn around in me in just 4 months now.
i don’t think I received your message from the other day .
Old 12-20-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Ive never sent one before.

Maybe I screwed it up * blush *

Sorry, but it was basically what Ive said here.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I absolutely was suicidal. Of couse I didn't want to die, but I wanted to be free of the hell I was in.

Come off of the crapolla youre on with the help of your doctor. please dont fo this by yourself.

And I NEVER thought I'd see the day where I didnt have Klonopin or Ativan in the house "just in case" ( I really suffered with panic). But I havent picked up my prescription renewal and will tell the doctor I dint need it anymore when I see her in January.

Im truly amazed..

You need to go easy on yourself and make some life adjustments to support healing but thats a good thing.

Dont even worry about Ketamine etc. Thats a last resort and I believe you have many other options.

But did you take the benzos everyday or as needed ? I have taken them everyday for three years . Now up to 2 mg daily . I’m sorry I am such a doubter but this is my third recurrent depression deemed treatment resistant . My psychiatrist says that going off meds will only make my condition worse . I don’t blame her .... I know she is only stating what she really feels to be true and I can’t say I disagree . I mean , I have never gotten better , not one day , in three years . Why would I think coming off meds will make it any better ?
I’m sorry . Just feel completely hopeless . I don’t really have a lot of faith in my primary care . I now have six or seven different diagnosis . Severe treatment resistant MDD recurring , gad , ocd , binge eating disorder and alcohol use disorder . How lovely ......
Old 12-20-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

They probably would have told me I had "alcohol use disorder" discounting the first half of my life and the years I never drank and the fact that I was medicatiIng anxiety, depression and OCD.

The only thing youre sure of is that what youre currently doing isnt working.

Time for a change. The change you make is up to you.

What I did thank God worked for me

And I was taking benzos every day up until 4 months ago.

The last time I took them I took 60 .5 Klonopin over a 5 day period. I couldnt cope anymore
Old 12-20-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Im truly amazed..

did you go off the benzos on your own ? And again , were you taking them everyday? During these three years , everytime I started a med , stayedbon a dose for six weeks , went up in dose , did the same thing , didn’t work , then had to come off it at the same time titrating up on another one . Then when that didn’t work, the antipsychotics and mood stabilizers started being added . All this time switching back and forth between Klonopin and Ativan . Every once in a while, at a lower dose of something I felt a tiny bit better, but instead of staying at that dose , it would get raised because I wasn’t at the “therapeutic “ dose . I’m just done . I am an empty shell . For three years I have been unable to do even the most basic of things . Go to the grocery store , go to church , go out to dinner ; etc . I’vE only managed to get to work and that has seemed impossible most times . I’ve already taken one leave of absence. I have had three inpatient psychiatric stays since Inwas 30. So as you can see , I think my case is pretty hopeless . I do appreciate your words of encouragement. I so wish I could believe I could get better but I just don’t. And believe me, it’s not from tons of people telling me I just need to change my negative thoughts around or exercise or go tto AA meetings .
Old 12-20-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I stay away from psychiatrists now.

I believe it probably saved my life.

You wonder why you fèel like this after being yanked on and off anti psychotics, mood stabilizers and anti depressants?

And yes, I came off benzos on my own after the meds she gave me kicked in.

I kid you not, I just realized I didnt want or need them anymore.

Thing is, until you start with your system clean, whos to know whats working or not working anymore?

I didnt believe anything either. And it took a month or two, but I just didnt care. Just wanted to do SOMETHING. I had absolutely nothing to lose at that point.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

You wonder why you fèel like this after being yanked on and off anti psychotics, mood stabilizers and anti depressants?

Thing is, until you start with your system clean, whos to know whats working or not working anymore?

I didnt believe anything either. And it took a month or two, but I just didnt care. Just wanted to do SOMETHING. I had absolutely nothing to lose at that point.
it sounds like you were still taking the benzos when you went to the new doctor . I just don’t know if the worsening of my symptoms is because of coming off the meds or if I am truly getting worse . I mean , how much time do you give yourself off the meds to know this ? I’m sorry I’m hammering you . This is what I do . I seek reassurance and answers from people because I can’t figure it out on my own . It’s my anxiety and ocd . Thanks for your support .
Old 12-20-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I’m sorry , but what took a month or two ?
Old 12-20-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rharman View Post

I’m sorry , but what took a month or two ?
I am also taking a bunch of supplements which haven’t really seemed to help so I don’t know if I should keep taking them either . Probiotics, magnesium, vitamin b complex , omega threes , vitamin d and so on . Also don’t eat all day , just drink coffee constantly and hold the hell on through each and every day .
Old 12-20-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I was still taking benzos when I went to the new doctor.

Id just wait until the pysch meds were out of my system ( ask your current psychiatrist how long it takes and be looking for a GP while you're waiting.

Then I went in,, told her I was anxious and depressed due to my divorce and relocation, and she ran a ton of tests and four months later here I am.

I think Ive mentioned before that the first one helped, but I wasnt quite there. So she added one more and then I was able to totally phase out the benzos.

Much much better.

This is what I did, and Im just presenting it to you as an example.

We have CHOICES. I have learned to really take responsibilty when it comes to meds and what Im putting in my mouth and who I allow to mess with my mind.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rharman View Post

I am also taking a bunch of supplements which haven’t really seemed to help so I don’t know if I should keep taking them either . Probiotics, magnesium, vitamin b complex , omega threes , vitamin d and so on . Also don’t eat all day , just drink coffee constantly and hold the hell on through each and every day .
also think I’m doing something wrong with these replies . Is there a way to do it without the quotes ? Not real good at this stuff .
Old 12-20-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I was still taking benzos when I went to the new doctor.

Id just wait until the pysch meds were out of my system ( ask your current psychiatrist how long it takes and be looking for a GP while you're waiting.

Then I went in,, told her I was anxious and depressed due to my divorce and relocation, and she ran a ton of tests and four months later here I am.

I think Ive mentioned before that the first one helped, but I wasnt quite there. So she added one more and then I was able to totally phase out the benzos.

Much much better.

This is what I did, and Im just presenting it to you as an example.

We have CHOICES. I have learned to really take responsibilty when it comes to meds and what Im putting in my mouth and who I allow to mess with my mind.
according to my psychiatrist, the meds are already out of my system . Took my last Paxil last Friday and my last lamictal on Monday and according to her they are out of my system . Why do Infeel like I’m getting worse then ?