Notices

Day 1 and already struggling

Old 12-10-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're so right, Sushi. It was the times I wasn't so bad & had a bit of control that kept me drinking. Over the years I lost all control & ended up drinking 24/7. I'm glad you have the sense to see how this could end up if action isn't taken now. I wish I had.

Congrats on your Day 3.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you checked out the Weekender thread and the December support threads - both can give great support, especially ove the weekend

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-2019-a-7.html (Peeling away the onion layers Weekenders- Weekenders 06 - 09 December 2019)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-1-a-18.html (Class of December 2019 part 1)

all you have to do to join is post in them

D
Old 12-10-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

well done, Sushi- keep posting
Old 12-13-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Still here.
Still struggling.
My cat kept me sober last night. She's not well. Waiting for the vets to open.
This is so hard.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Keep going! I hope your kitty kat feels better.
Please keep posting.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good going and hate to hear about your little one! I'm a dog lover and know how it is when one is sick etc.

How are you doing taking care of yourself in little ways? From distracting myself to ice cream to naps, everything was an option except drinking as I got started living sober.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've reset my sober counter app this morning. Back to day 1. I'm so disappointed in myself. A couple of pointless glasses of wine I didn't even want. It's like I'm two different people. I have no idea what I'm doing. I just don't want to want to drink anymore. These mind games are exhausting and confusing.
My cat is still at the vets. She's fighting paralysis from a snake bite. I feel so bad and responsible for her.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sushiroll View Post
5pm is my time too. If I can hang off till at least 7pm then I know I'm in the clear for the night. I'm working on a new evening routine and daily plan to keep me busy.
This was pretty much my difficult time, too, though more around 6ish for me. I made myself get outside right after I'd eaten supper and began to walk miles. I can't tell you what a difference it made to my mental and physical health. Changing routines is really helpful in early recovery.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank again SushiRoll - I'm sorry about your cat too.

Pick yourself up and start again - maybe you need to tweak your plan a little to make it more a little more responsive & reflective to your desire to be sober?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 12-15-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link Dee I will check it out. I can't just rely on my desire to stop drinking cause it fades of an evening. My hubby enjoys a beer or two of an evening after work and I got into the habit of joining him with a wine. He doesn't have a problem and rarely over does it. Me on the other hand who knows. I don't know if anyone's had any success with Allen Carr's book but it doesn't seem to be clicking for me. I know wine is poison but knowing that still doesn't make me stop. I was feeling so good. Bugger. Thanks again.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I found that it was my increasing consequences that have helped me to quit. I never get away with drinking anymore without blacking and passing out and also smoking cigarettes. I don’t smoke when I don’t drink, and I picked up my past habit of smoking when drinking about a year ago on a one week trip to Vegas. I’m not judging people who smoke, but it’s really bad for me for several personal reasons. I find myself 100% powerless when it comes to drinking and not smoking. The smoking is just one example. I am likely to drink and black out and get into trouble when out in public because I can get rude and obnoxious. I cancel work after drinking. All of these consequences make it easier to say no to the first drink.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
I found that it was my increasing consequences that have helped me to quit. I never get away with drinking anymore without blacking and passing out and also smoking cigarettes. I don’t smoke when I don’t drink, and I picked up my past habit of smoking when drinking about a year ago on a one week trip to Vegas. I’m not judging people who smoke, but it’s really bad for me for several personal reasons. I find myself 100% powerless when it comes to drinking and not smoking. The smoking is just one example. I am likely to drink and black out and get into trouble when out in public because I can get rude and obnoxious. I cancel work after drinking. All of these consequences make it easier to say no to the first drink.
Good share. For me the smoking could be replaced by writing on Facebook drunk (among the many other consequences). I would swear to myself it wouldn't happen this time but I was never in charge once that first drink went down.

And Sushi hopefully see you here on Day 2
Old 12-15-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I hope to see you here on Day 2 also. I am so sorry about your cat. Cat owners make the world a better place.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I'm going home to write "think of the consequences" on my fridge.
I admire every single person on this site just for being here.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope your cat makes a full recovery.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

“ I can't just rely on my desire to stop drinking cause it fades of an evening.”

good observation, Sushiroll.
and you mentioned that you want to stop wanting...but that, too, waxes and wanes and is irrelevant.
this is why you will hear mention of plans, or programs, or helpful techniques.

also, i found that desire to stop something is not the same as desire FOR something, and my desire to stop drinking was one thing, and desire for sobriety something quite different.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 2 here.
I have the day off work today so I'm going to collect my thoughts and put a plan in action. I agree desires are pointless if I'm not proactive. I think for me just taking it one day at a time will work best it gets a bit overwhelming to think long term at this stage. Thanks for the messages they really are helping.
Puss update...I called in and spent some time with her yesterday at the vets. She's still quite paralysed. Can't eat, drink or blink even but the vet seems to think she's over the worst and will eventually make a full recovery. Thank you for the well wishes.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

So glad your kitty is getting better--congrats on Day 2
Old 12-16-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are looking up for your cat sushiroll - and congrats on day 2

D
Old 12-17-2019, 12:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi Sushi.

You kindly replied to my first post "Returned Soldier", letting me know you were on Day 2. Me on Day 1.

Let's have it that I never 'catch up' with you. You will always be 1 day ahead whatever the week, month, year.

We can do this Sushi. Say I at one day sober.

Still keeping it in the day though.