Notices

Mocktails

Old 12-08-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mocktails

tist the season of mocktails!! I'm going to have a few mocktail ingredients in the house during the holidays as well as a few Choice bottles of sparkling cider and the like to take along with me . in the world of non-alcoholic there are people who actually don't care to drink at holiday parties. can you believe it? it's true! and when I come whisking into an event with a few easy make mixes The Crowd Goes Wild okay not the whole crowd and they don't go wild they go mild laugh out loud but the working moms the designated drivers and the athletes that are in training for the annual jingle jaunt are always relieved and happy to have a fun and festive drink that won't leave them feeling sick in the morning find a few mocktail recipes for pre-made mocktail bevvies that you love . you'll be surprised at how many people will appreciate the gesture.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was sober at Thanksgiving for the first time in 30 years or so. A sober Christmas and New Years Eve will certainly be a new thing. Already digging into that one and amassing some tools to utilize the next few weeks. I might stay away from the mocktails for now just because I am exactly 200 days behind you SoberRican, and I don't think I am ready even for a mocktail. Afraid that will wake the sleeping nag-headed crazy giant inside my pea brain. I feel good this morning on Day 18 and that is so much more than enough for me right now.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey I feel you. But this only applies to such. I dont this to be a trigger situation by no means. But the fake it to make it thing is a plan B. Cause for me my plan A is enough feel me. I dont drink. But basically I would lean towards them being a smoothie. Lets say pina colada they are actually really good with out the booze and congrats on 18 days thats awesome. ✌
Old 12-08-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love your positive energy SoberRican. - thankyou. I make my own AF ginger beer and have the same reaction from non drinkers. Its not an alternative to booze but something I like creating and drinking.I really think you can look at Mocktails in this light.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fantastic idea

"jingle jaunt" lol

Yup, believe it or not, there are a LOT of non drinkers in this world, not just those who identify as being alcoholic or whatever.

I know I'd appreciate being offered a choice, and not just having people assume Im a drinker. Or not.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Last year, my friend gave me a book called 'Dry' which lists multiple mocktails. I've tried making a few of them and they're absolutely delicious! I'll be trying a few more in the run up to Christmas.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good thread! There are some super yummy mock tail recipes out there. I’ll be stocking up for the holidays as well.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm going to have to head to the grocery store right now.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been mixing gingerale with sparkling water (love the grapefruit one)and plopping in a fizzy Airborne tablet to boost the immune system this time of year. It's sparkly and bubbly and I feel like I'm getting enough fluids in.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The red neck that I am I saw everything as if it wasn't a beer then it must be a shot.

Put a mixed drink or wine in my hand and I'd slam it.

Today its seltzer for me, flavored, lime, plain don't care too much. Even before I stopped drinking it was my soft drink of choice. I kept it then and still keep it in my fridge at home.

It has that refreshing sort of kick. Sometimes I get talking to buzzed people and the thought of whether I'm drinking or not isn't on my mind. I'm just me in a conversation and enjoying a refreshing beverage. It feels great when I stop to realize wow, I don't NEED alchohol!
Old 12-08-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll be the Christmas Grinch

To anyone reading, if your drink of choice was cocktails in the bad old days, I'd think twice about mocktails...old habits old behaviours and such.

Just a note of well intentioned caution

D
Old 12-08-2019, 07:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I opened this thread Dee I wondered if someone was going to say something like that. It is kind of like fake drinking. I guess I could see it being potentially problematic especially if the act of mixing a drink is triggering for you.

When I really really want to drink, but am not going to, I have tonic and lime... because it has that bitter kick I used to like. I've never noticed it being a problem for me, but if I did think it was becoming one, I'd stop drinking it.

Always good to be aware.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I just said to someone else, tho, people are free to do what they want, regardless of what I think

D
Old 12-08-2019, 08:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It’s nice to have a drink in hand so people won’t offer you something boozy. I’ve toasted at celebrations with some sparkling cider. Got to admit though at the time I was very freshly sober at 3 months and looked forlornly to the champagne that was once my drink of choice. It’s a good idea to tread lightly during the holiday festivities.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It’s strange to hear people say they are having sparkling cider as it’s an alcoholic drink over here - is it just sparkling apple juice?

Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am a sparkling water fan, and I have been known to add a splash of cranberry or orange juice.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by rainbowalien View Post
It’s strange to hear people say they are having sparkling cider as it’s an alcoholic drink over here - is it just sparkling apple juice?

in the US it's usually non alcoholic I think. Hard cider is the alcoholic version there.

D
Old 12-08-2019, 10:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it all depends on the individual and their stage in recovery. In the past almost year of sobriety I have enjoyed an occasional mocktail and even a sixer of 0.0% beer (I was curious to try it) without issue.

Towards the end, my 'go to' was vodka with ether ginger ale or Sprite. So technically, drinking a ginger ale or soda would be a mocktail for me.

For me, it's kind of a fun challenge on the rare occasions when I'm at a social gathering to find something fun to drink without the bad stuff. I feel like I'm taking the power back, to some degree.

I used to like micheladas back in the day and the last time I went out for a friend's bday celebration, I ordered some virgin micheladas with sparkling water in place of the beer.

I'm not recommending it though because I know it can act as a trigger for some and I tread carefully.

SC
Old 12-08-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sparkling water with ice and a slice of lemon, no one knows if your drinking or not, saves those awkward questions. Ie are you not drinking, I just like fizzy drinks none alcoholic I mean, my favorite mocktail is apple juice and ginger lemonade,
Old 12-08-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Coming from the bev world, I love a good mocktail. I am appreciating some tasty ones. It doesn't really bother me at all and I find myself appreciating the beverage more!

My drink right now is club soda and splash of pineapple juice. Really tasty and when I am feeling spicy or herbaceous, I ask for muddled jalapeno or mint.

Delish!!!