Notices

Hope and despair

Old 12-06-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

Hope and despair

Hello everyone I havnt been on here in a while , day 2 for me for the hundredth time . I知 a binger time between binges getting shorter and shorter , I have hope everytime I quit , fall into despair when I start again . I want this to end . Why after a few weeks I fall back in ? Anyways I知 glad to be back , it really helps to know I知 not alone in this struggle ❤️
Old 12-06-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are never alone. Good for posting.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Maribell View Post
Why after a few weeks I fall back in ?
Why do we go back to drinking?

Lot of reasons, probably all related. Often it's because we aren't really doing anything to stay sober. We quit drinking, sure, but that's it. Our commitment waivers. We can't deal with the discomfort of early sobriety. We haven't made the changes in our lives we need make to support sobriety. We convince ourselves we don't have a problem. We decide we can drink normally again. We haven't learned how to deal with boredom, stress, anger, socializing, bad news, good news, the weather....

Any of this sound familiar?
Old 12-06-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 16 for me Maribell. I've never tried to get sober until now and the only day here and there that I didn't drink before that was only because I was too sick from drinking to drink anything else. I am still dazed looking back by the insanity of all of it. I am starting to understand too how slips and relapses happen. My addict nag-headed demon that resides in part of my brain has been trying to get me to drink the last few evenings. I am feeling really good and healing up and losing weight and exercising and that voice is telling me it is time to try being a normal drinker. Anyway, I won't listen to that little shythead if you won't either Maribell.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Not there yet

It could be that you aren't there just yet. Please give it another try. A few weeks may be all that you need to quit for good. Then, yoully be home free.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Why do we go back to drinking?

Lot of reasons, probably all related. Often it's because we aren't really doing anything to stay sober. We quit drinking, sure, but that's it. Our commitment waivers. We can't deal with the discomfort of early sobriety. We haven't made the changes in our lives we need make to support sobriety. We convince ourselves we don't have a problem. We decide we can drink normally again. We haven't learned how to deal with boredom, stress, anger, socializing, bad news, good news, the weather....

Any of this sound familiar?
tou hit the nail on the head , in every aspect that is everything that I tend to feel , thanks for that
Old 12-06-2019, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Day 16 for me Maribell. I've never tried to get sober until now and the only day here and there that I didn't drink before that was only because I was too sick from drinking to drink anything else. I am still dazed looking back by the insanity of all of it. I am starting to understand too how slips and relapses happen. My addict nag-headed demon that resides in part of my brain has been trying to get me to drink the last few evenings. I am feeling really good and healing up and losing weight and exercising and that voice is telling me it is time to try being a normal drinker. Anyway, I won't listen to that little shythead if you won't either Maribell.
If there is anything i took away from my 25 yrs of binging ,,is that I will never be able to drink like a normal person , ever , so why try ? Ya I値l tell my little shythead to shut the heck up too 😊
Old 12-06-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi,
I am back again day 40! Woke up optimistic. Went for a walk/ was hungry- wanted to keep walking to a bar to drink/eat/spend money I don't have and fool myself into thinking everything is normal. No its not normal- I end up sick for days/losing everything. I can not afford it. etc etc. Anyhow. Try and get through 24 hours that is it. I just had some icecream/banana/pnutbutter and it was good.
The craving has passed. I am also making some pasta for later. Its better than drinking 2000 calories worth of vodka. "it adds up"
Good job for posting here. Post here when you want to drink and the feeling should pass and you will have another chance to stay sober
Old 12-06-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Maribell!

Good job on Day 2. It sounds like you are able to stop drinking but then lose your way after awhile. I wonder what other changes you've made in your life when you stop drinking, in order to support your recovery?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Once I accepted myself as an alcoholic rather than a binger or any other term I got recovery 🙏
Old 12-06-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad to see you, Maribell. Unfortunately, it took me 30 yrs. of on & off drinking to finally decide willpower was of no use. One drink always led to 10. Posting and reading here every day really helped me stay vigilant. I hope you will get free for good this time.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If there is anything i took away from my 25 yrs of binging ,,is that I will never be able to drink like a normal person , ever, so why try ?
To try to drink like a normal person was all I ever did until quit. I adopted total abstinence with some reservation at first. But it wasn't a strong reservation. I was actually ready to give alcohol up for good, but I had doubts that it would actually work. But it worked like a charm along with some other support.

This overpowering and widespread need to be a normal drinker keeps us out there trying and trying to somehow attain this goal, I suspect that need accounts for most relapses. Until you are ready to accept that you can't drink normally, it's just going to be a long drawn out battle that will never get better. Actually, it's probably more than just accepting that you can't drink normally. I think you have to also get to a point where you are sick of even trying.

When you are ready to quit trying, sobriety almost just happens. Outside of a few days of intense craving and a year of listening to that demon blathering at you that you are now well enough to drink normally, sobriety is surprisingly easy.

Of course you need to do other things too. If there's nothing else you would rather do, then maybe there wouldn't be much point in not drinking. But I don't believe anyone out there has nothing they would rather do.

The allure of drinking might be because it's so easy. Can you think of any other recreation that requires less skill or motivation than to drink? If you are resourceful, you can even bring all your alcohol, mixes, and drinking equipment right to the couch, so you won't have to get up again all evening, except to pee.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maribell, I need daily strength and support from others to keep my recovery going. That is using SR. I am in a few threads found in the newcomer's forum. To bein a community thread helps me learn, give and get support and grow. It also means I have cultivated friendships over the time I have been in SR. I joined the class of March 2016 group, which I still log on to most days. Why not join the class of December 2019 thread?
My support to you.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello everyone I havnt been on here in a while , day 2 for me for the hundredth time . I知 a binger time between binges getting shorter and shorter , I have hope everytime I quit , fall into despair when I start again . I want this to end . Why after a few weeks I fall back in ? Anyways I知 glad to be back , it really helps to know I知 not alone in this struggle ❤️
With me it was always procrastination. I would promise myself I would stop tomorrow or next week, or on my birthday, or my cat's birthday, etc. What's your excuse?

It seems to me that you have two options:

a) You continue drinking and accept all of the things you hate - associated health risks, cost of your addiction, weight gain, premature ageing, risk of social embarrassment, loss of productivity, hangovers, emotional damage, etc.

b) Accept that by procrastinating you are essentially fantasising and need to take action.

You can also do what I did, which is pray for divine help with option b.

Ask yourself, are you addicted? You're on here, which indicates you are.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maribell - welcome back

it was easy for me to quit when I felt sick, but much harder when I felt good again. That's where SR saved me - it's much harder to justify drinking again when you're reading others stories everyday or re reading your own story back.

Its much easier to say no to yourself when you accept unequivocally you're an alcoholic.

The journey starts with the first drink - and you know where that journey ends.

D
Old 12-06-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome back, Maribell!

Good job on Day 2. It sounds like you are able to stop drinking but then lose your way after awhile. I wonder what other changes you've made in your life when you stop drinking, in order to support your recovery?
Its crazy when im not drinking im in the gym exercising and eating healthy , ive been doing that for 25 years as well, its pretty twisted either very healthy and feeling wonderful or fall down drunk for weeks , when im good im good but when im bad,, im sure you get it.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I'm glad to see you, Maribell. Unfortunately, it took me 30 yrs. of on & off drinking to finally decide willpower was of no use. One drink always led to 10. Posting and reading here every day really helped me stay vigilant. I hope you will get free for good this time.
Well instead of boozing it up on a Friday night im on this site, and will be daily , willpower is useless to me once i have that first drink any little bit of willpower goes out the door. Even posting here for one day is giving me strength . And will continue.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well instead of boozing it up on a Friday night im on this site, and will be daily , willpower is useless to me once i have that first drink any little bit of willpower goes out the door. Even posting here for one day is giving me strength . And will continue.
Glad to read that. Hope you're staying strong.