Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Peeling away the onion layers Weekenders- Weekenders 06 - 09 December 2019

Notices

Peeling away the onion layers Weekenders- Weekenders 06 - 09 December 2019

Old 12-09-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Chicken curry sounds super yummy Mags!! I got the Mindful Chef box with 5 meals, or rather ingredients in the correct portions for 5 things I wouldn’t normally cook (or know how to!) so just need to decide which one to cook. I still feel rubbish but much better at the same time just being home and taking it easy.

I got some stick and peel tiles for the kitchen just to cheaply jazz it up till next year and have put some up this afternoon, they look surprisingly good.

Glad you’re back safe and sound...and sober Nonsensical!

Anyhow, time for another Lemsip and a sit down! xx
Old 12-09-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better soon, Manta. The Mindful Chef box sounds a great idea. I'm glad you're back posting x.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Monday and another week and weekend without a drink.

I just read some of some of the recent, "Class Of...," threads. Good golly, there are a lot of people having trouble staying sober.

I know this is a tough time of year in general but truly at some point nearly six years ago I had to be D.O.N.E. and there are no more reasons/excuses/rationale for picking up something that tries to kill me. If I had continued to go back I think sobriety would have become a very elusive target. My continuous sober days are precious to me. I hope every person who reads this will make that same decision to be done, once and for all.

Hi Tats.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hi Bim, great post, which I do hope many Newbies read. It's good to see you back in posting land, too x. Right, thats enough kisses for today.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Magsie

MantaLady, I do like the sound of the mindful chef box for 5 meals. It gives an opportunity to try something different.

Bim, this time of year is worrying, the pressures of drink are all around us even more so than normal.

Time to get our tool boxes out perhaps and check their contents are up to scratch.

These dark nights are so depressing. Roll on spring.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Tatsy.

Sending positive vibes your way MantaLady. One positive is that at least there is zero chance of you catching a cold over the actual Christmas/New Year week.

When I was young the Monday following the office xmas party was always an exciting affair finding out who got off with who, who spent a night in the cells, who ended up in A&E etc. In 2019 the young folk seem a lot more grown up and responsible so there were no lurid tales of debauchery doing the rounds at work today. That is to be applauded, no question. Bit boring though.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Thanks Saou. Your "no lurid tales of debauchery" caused me to spit out coffee whilst laughing. Oh yes, the younger generation are to be applauded, but I spat out more coffee laughing when you said "bit boring though".

It reminds me of the time I attended a swanky company xmas party at a fully paid for prestigious place. Two people ended up face planted in their Michelin starred food plates, one walked into the wall, instead of through a door and caused concussion, and the other, the MDs wife, was prostrate in the ladies, because she couldn't pull up her knickers...and the minions rushed around trying to help in the cubicle, which made matters worse and caused more of a spectacle. Drink hey, not boring as a bystander, but excruciating when folks recount events to the previously almost comatose drinker.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

To think, I aspire to a boring life with no dramas- maybe one day. Great post, SAO.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks PJ!

That sounds like quite a party Tatsy, I have never been to a Michelin starred restaurant, I wonder if they are used to those kinds of shenanigans at upmarket places. I have been to Ascot (a posh horse racing event) where some wealthy looking people got very loud and lary. Surprisingly I kept a lid on my own consumption that day (especially as horse racing has always bored me to tears)
Old 12-09-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Wow, Tatsy and Sao, you've been to some interesting parties! I didn't realise that young folk are more grown up and responsible, how do they manage it with all the advertising and availability of alcohol. Well, that's a good thing, boring, but good.

I like it when my life is uneventful nowadays, the trouble is whereas I used to have trouble getting to sleep, now I have trouble staying awake
Old 12-09-2019, 10:40 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Once the drink kicked in I was one very over excited falling down party girl. Lots of lurid tales of debauchery unfortunately. Sober I don't say boo to a goose.

Maybe just maybe, the availability of alcohol 24 hours a day has taken away the forbidden fruit aspect of drinking for the younger generations.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:45 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Kaily, hopefully the culture has changed too. It was the norm for us to go to the pub when I was in my teens.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:46 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice sky this morning.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:48 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's seriously beautiful mags x
Old 12-10-2019, 12:51 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning Weekenders. hope everyone is doing well.

glad you're doing better Manta. not that I'd recommend it, but I think that so long as we learn from it, a slip/relapse can strengthen our sobriety. I know mine has, I just wish I hadn't spent eight year back out there.

nice sunrise here chez andyh this morning with the low sun illuminating the bottom of the clouds. less than two weeks until the days start getting longer again!

nice to see you Tatsy

how are you doing Vinny? are you still in rehab or did you get parole yet?
Old 12-10-2019, 02:39 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

I pictured the sky this morning as well.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:55 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Oh I’m loving all the skies, just beautiful! Thanks for sharing
Old 12-10-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Gorgeous photos, thanks
Old 12-10-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

edit (sent it twice)
Old 12-10-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Beautiful sky pictures!

Another busy busy week for me so far. I think I will just be busy until my trip. That's ok, then the trip will really seem like a treat. I was worried yesterday, though. I thought I had ground transport from the first city I'm going to stay in for two days to the one I'm staying in for the remaining 5. Then I got the quote for it - they had told me the wrong number the first time. I was letting the hotel I'm staying in line it up for me - and it's an unacceptable price. So I had to scramble around and try to find a different ride, which is difficult in high season, 3 weeks before the trip. I do believe I found one - still a bit more expensive than I had thought it would/should be, but $100 less than the quoted price from the hotel. Belize does not have the greatest transportation options, so I'm using private ground transport services to get around. It's not cheap. I'm now just waiting for the final word on whether or not I have a reservation. I think it will all be OK. And I'll be on the beach soon...