Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Peeling away the onion layers Weekenders- Weekenders 06 - 09 December 2019

Notices

Peeling away the onion layers Weekenders- Weekenders 06 - 09 December 2019

Old 12-07-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Sunday morning, woke up early to the rain and thunder... So nice to snuggle in bed, sober and listening to the rain.. Waking up sober will never ever lose its novelty..
Very grateful to juat be tired and not hungover or even just fuzzy from booze...
Old 12-07-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Glad to be sober this AM. Going to spend the weekend decluttering the house.

Happy weekend!
Old 12-07-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention the insanity of societies drinking habits and promotion of binge drinking culture..
Yesterday in New Zealand we had crate day, starts at 12noon and goes until whenever.. They say its about getting together with freiinds and having a feed and a drink.. Bollocks, it's about seeing if you can drink 9 litres of beer in an afternoon, 12 x 750ml bottles of beer and it's promoted like a cool thing to do. Obviously it's not something everyone partakes in but it's all over the radio and my stepson and his mates are right into it and even some of my mates..
Pure insanity...
Old 12-07-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Magsie

Red, clever marketing for retail but suicide for addicts.

Pounder, enjoy decluttering.

Saou, we call em Seenager’s. when your 60 years you become one.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Do your best

Night guys
Old 12-07-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Manta how was your aromatherapy facial? It sounds lovely. I’ve only ever had one facial, a few years ago now. I remember it felt lovely
Maybe I’ll treat myself to one for my 1 month mark next week

Red that would be awful having booze available everywhere I remember from my UK trip that it was available pretty much everywhere. I even saw a post office that sold grog! Unreal. At least here you have to go to a shop specifically for alcohol because that’s pretty much all they sell, plus salty snacks to make you thirsty and want more alcohol. I just try to stay away from them.
I’m having a lazy day today, just chilling on the couch with a book. It’s too hot to do anything much
Old 12-07-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Everytime I do my grocery shopping I have to avoid the alcohol section, there's no hard liquor just beer wine and cider but its a massive section and like today they often have tastings and I have to walk right past them! They do them 3 times a week.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Class was canceled today due to freezing rain (Instructor lives out of town) . So instead I used the time to do this four part tune:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VU...sBXnc3QWsll8Af

(It's been a long time since I've shared anything).
Old 12-07-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Class was canceled today due to freezing rain (Instructor lives out of town) . So instead I used the time to do this four part tune:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VU...sBXnc3QWsll8Af

(It's been a long time since I've shared anything).
​​​​​​
Listening to this whilst it's raining outside was beautiful. Such a peaceful peice of music, I also get a bit of sad nostalgia from it too...

Thank you
Old 12-07-2019, 09:15 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

That was lovely Dragon
Old 12-07-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Dragon, I loved that piece of music, it reminded me of Sherwood Forest but not sure why. Very relaxing.

I’ve just finished watching a series on 4catch up, ‘13 Commandments ‘ really good.

I just got a surprise Willow, when you said about our alcohol sales in U.K. it is literally everywhere for you to buy 24 hours a day. Not sure how it got to that. I remember supermarkets stopped selling it at 10pm then they got a licence to sell it all round, many 24 hour petrol stations too.

Sadly it’s a big part of our society and culture, though I believe a lot of the younger generations are choosing not to drink.

One thing that does get better is that after a while, it’s just booze. As much on the shelf as something you detest is there and you’d walk straight past without a second glance, for instance tripe?
I’m not sure how I got to that point because I used to avoid all the booze aisles and anything connected with alcohol initially. But it does happen.
Now I don’t drink because I don’t want to, which is empowering over it. I’ve accepted we don’t mix.

For those difficult days, plough right through them, main aim is to not drink, once you have that in hand and life throws a wobble, straighten it out sober.

Blowing a gale here, I think it’s same all around U.K. today.

Have a good Sunday.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:53 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Yes wet and windy here Mags. Seems another day watching endless TV.

Nice to see some Newcomers arriving and Oldcomers returning to the Weekenders.

A couple of years ago I was so desperate for more alcohol but far too drunk to risk being seen by my neighbours (it was 10 am) that I called a local cab company and requested that a driver bought me a bottle of vodka ( I had already drank 1 bottle). Anyway cab driver turned up with my bottle and offered to come in and share it with me. Talk about trying to take advantage of the vulnerable. Luckily I declined I only wanted the drink.

Bim when you say lay low. Does that mean you are going to disappear again? I hope not.

To anyone struggling just never ever give up trying. It only has to stick once.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:53 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks Dragon, like Mags said it sounded like something Blondel the minstrel would play in Robin Hood times.

It was curious how the UK went from being a country with one of the most restrictive laws on alcohol to one of the most permissive with little discussion about it (that I remember at least) Fortunately I have never been triggered by shelves of booze in stores, it is books, tv and films that I will occasionally make me think of it.

Sunday mornings hangover free are so worth it.

You have nearly made it through the weekend Red, well done!
Old 12-07-2019, 11:56 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders

Bloody hot here in little old Adelaide , right PJ . Do the hot days affect your burns Pj , ive always wondered about that.

Mags i live your post, you alwzys make so much sense xxxx

Xx
Old 12-07-2019, 11:58 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thanks Saoutchik, it's 9pm Sunday and I'm so full on venison burgers that I'm lying down, so I've done it! Woo hoo, next 2 weekends will be a huge challenge though..
Old 12-08-2019, 12:06 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Thanks Saoutchik, it's 9pm Sunday and I'm so full on venison burgers that I'm lying down, so I've done it! Woo hoo, next 2 weekends will be a huge challenge though..
Just another 2 weekends to excel!
Old 12-08-2019, 12:16 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Just another 2 weekends to excel!
Good way to look at it.. I have my partners Xmas work function, then a family champagne brunch and another family Xmas bbq plus another small work function.. Sooo many things, only 1 I can get out of and it's the one I wanna go too the most and the one I can't drink at as it's a 2 hr drive away and I can't stay the night..
Some big plans to put in place I think..
Old 12-08-2019, 12:18 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

The aromatherapy facial was really good Willow, just what I needed. This cold has gone from bad to worse and has absolutely knocked me on my butt. I worked from home Friday but didn’t do a lot and kept falling asleep so I am going to have to catch up on the work I didn’t do today.

Weather is wild outside, gales, rain and with my house facing onto the moors the sky is moody and full. It’s quite nice to sit in the living room watching the sky roll by, listening to the wind with the log fire going. Glad I have no reason to have to leave the house today haha! I ordered from one of these healthy eating clubs 5 meals where they send you the exact ingredients to make the meal and a recipe to follow so hopefully I can eat well next week without having to think or shop.

2 weeks to go and I break up for Xmas, taking 2 weeks off. Only had to use 3 days holiday allowance to get the 2 weeks as they give us 4 fully paid discretionary days a year that are extra to your allowance. I have big plans for the time off as I need to get organised, eat healthy, sleep well, go walking, sort the house, get a meditation routine and generally get myself set up for success in 2020. I am pretty much hanging on by my fingernails till then!

Have a super sober Sunday folks xx
Old 12-08-2019, 12:43 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

G'night everyone. Just hit Day 5.

I did good today I'm proud of myself for pulling it together.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:53 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

All this talk of gales and rain is so interesting for me when I’m in the midst of a really hot summer here. I like the idea of wrapping up in a soft woolly blanket next to a toasty fire watching the weather gust about outside. It’s something I rarely get to experience, if ever. What a contrast to here

I’m off to bed after a day spent alternating between being lazy and going to the beach. It was lovely.
Goodnight everyone 🙂