Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Peeling away the onion layers Weekenders- Weekenders 06 - 09 December 2019

Notices

Peeling away the onion layers Weekenders- Weekenders 06 - 09 December 2019

Old 12-06-2019, 11:23 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Saou, how did your Christmas work do go, did you have plenty of pizzas?

Well our tree is up. I’m eating a mince pie at nearly half past 7 on a Saturday morning. Christmas must be coming.

Have a great weekend , it is so much better sober, I never thought I’d hear myself say that years ago. What a difference a day makes.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:27 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you MesaMan! I'm glad you are on the mend.

Where is everyone? The thread is mighty quiet!

I think everyone had a good time last night, I know I certainly did and stayed at the venue until nearly 1am - good going by my standards. We got to play something called shuffleboard which is a bit like curling without the ice. I really enjoyed it. There was a nightclub downstairs for the young people so all in all it was a really good choice of venue. I wasn't bothered by other people's drinking at all which was a plus, I am starting to feel like a non drinker at last.

It looks grey and gloomy outside and I am skipping my morning walk today even though I ate tons of food last night.

Edit: thanks Mags!
Old 12-06-2019, 11:53 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Made it home from a Xmas dinner with my partner, step kids, MIL and her family, it was lovely and I was completely sober. I told my partner he could drink as I was driving but he opted for soft drink, most people only had 1 drink so it was relatively easy not too drink. Sober muscles 1 fibre bigger lol
Old 12-06-2019, 11:57 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Making it through a weekend sober is one of the best feelings ever..I know it's not over and Sunday has caught me out before...
It's such a different feeling when you aren't arranging your weekend around drinking, you are capable of doing so much more stuff and nothing stands in the way, you can do anything as you can drive! Lol oh the small things in life make such a difference...
Old 12-07-2019, 12:29 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe you can go the distance red

D
Old 12-07-2019, 12:50 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I believe you can go the distance red

D
Thanks Dee, I believe I can too.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:30 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Good job on getting through the day sober Red, you’ve definitely built some strong sober muscles there!

Decorators came round yesterday I had my stairs hallway painted and one wall in the kitchen (which I had half painted and gave up) finished off. The color before was lime green which I had become to really dislike. It reminded me of my drinking days, hangovers and arguments / anger. Now the whole house has been decorated it feels like a fresh start.

Going for an aromatherapy facial this afternoon and looking forward to a bit of pampering. Have a good day everyone xx
Old 12-07-2019, 01:59 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sounds a good start for your weekend Red, enjoy!

MantaLady, I think that’s a great idea. Fresh paint, fresh start. I had reminders like that I had to get rid of or avoid. Enjoy your pampering.

When I had my hair done other week the lady who washed my hair took me to a smaller room, with dimmed lights. It was so relaxing and she massaged my head like an indian head massage. It was marvellous and would love another, not bothered about having an hair do.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:04 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Just popping in to say a quick hi everyone.
Saturday evening here and I’m about to go to bed. I had a good day, did some yoga then went grocery shopping. I’m so glad they don’t sell alcohol in supermarkets here, just groceries, phew. I just have to avoid the drive thru bottle shops, I used to swap which ones I drove through so I didn’t look like a drunk to the staff..... hmmm.... Anyway, take away alcohol is only available in pubs and liquor stores that are only there to sell grog (walk in or drive through) so it’s still easier to avoid than it being in the supermarkets and petrol stations and train stations like other countries We just went to the local pub for dinner (yummy food) and I drank sparkling water. I had a “moment” when a tray went past with red wine, but I managed to get over it quickly by reminding myself of the consequences, ie never ever just one, etc etc until the next day hangover... I’m so very glad I’ll wake up sober and hangover-free Sunday morning.
Goodnight everyone
Old 12-07-2019, 02:08 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Sleep tight and sweet dreams Willow x
Old 12-07-2019, 02:19 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Willow, - in NZ booze is sold everywhere, the local shops in my suburb, the corner shop, the supermarket and then there's the bottle shops, you can even buy it at the movies.. Can't get away from it..
Old 12-07-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Magsie

It’s the same here Red, even petrol stations sell the stuff.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Do your best

I still don't get that mags how they are allowed to boggles my mind so irresponsible and 100% way more dangerous - the one place you would never think to sell because of the obvious but still money talks which is just crazy x
Old 12-07-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday morning never gets old. Yeah, some of you are a day ahead. Humor me.

Sober Christmas - even better. I'm single, live alone with no family around so Christmas is just another day. I don't buy gifts, I don't get gifts, I don't go to holiday parties. Easier to do because I'm not working. No pressure. I will be glad when it's over, I feel like that every year.

Sao, I admit if I were working in a party company I don't think I'd be hitting the bars with colleagues. Even at my last job when I was still drinking I wouldn't have done that. But then, I lived 25 miles away from work, so just getting home would have been problematic. DUIs in my state go on a permanent record and cost upwards of $20,000 to defend, mandatory - that's a lot of money and I don't want a record. Never mind that I could have wrecked my car or killed someone. I did have some sense.

So I'm just gonna lay low till the first. The rest of you singles, I'm with you in spirit. Christmas can be rough for us - but single is 1000% better than a bad relationship. Been there. I am much happier in this life.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Thanks for the Sloopy education. Now I have a few facts I can share in class today.

In our old house we painted the bathroom a darker shade of lime green. Thought it was a brilliant idea at the time. Started hating it almost the moment it went up.

In my corner of the hundred acre woods, booze is only sold in the government monopoly known as 'liquor marts'. You can get beer and similar items from bottle shops run by the bars. There was talk of allowing sales in grocery stores, hopefully the recent publicity around theft and the dangers the store employees face will quash that idea. I remember when they weren't allowed to sell on Sundays. Oh how I had wished many times they'd go to back to that just so I could get thru a weekend.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Sao, I admit if I were working in a party company I don't think I'd be hitting the bars with colleagues. Even at my last job when I was still drinking I wouldn't have done that. But then, I lived 25 miles away from work, so just getting home would have been problematic. DUIs in my state go on a permanent record and cost upwards of $20,000 to defend, mandatory - that's a lot of money and I don't want a record.
Yeah I'm not sure I could either bim but this was more like an indoor bbq rather than a bar - there was a huge wood fired pizza oven and then later on we played an old Tudor game called shuffleboard so although most people were drinking the focus was not solely on the booze so it it was fine with me. We have a few muslims working at our place so our Xmas parties are always inclusive of non drinkers. The younger folk had a nightclub downstairs for the early hours partying (obviously I didn't go there). The other advantage was that I could have walked home in 20mins if I wanted to although I ended up sharing an Uber.

Where I live is party town 24/7but I don't really pay much attention thesedays. Besides, who wants to pay £6.50 for a pint of beer.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi SR, in for the weekend. I’ve had a lot of stress over the past few weeks. I’m 100% committed to this weekend being sober and restful. I have been working out a lot, it’s one of my main sober tools.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Yeah I'm not sure I could either bim but this was more like an indoor bbq rather than a bar - there was a huge wood fired pizza oven and then later on we played an old Tudor game called shuffleboard so although most people were drinking the focus was not solely on the booze so it it was fine with me. We have a few muslims working at our place so our Xmas parties are always inclusive of non drinkers. The younger folk had a nightclub downstairs for the early hours partying (obviously I didn't go there). The other advantage was that I could have walked home in 20mins if I wanted to although I ended up sharing an Uber.

Where I live is party town 24/7but I don't really pay much attention thesedays. Besides, who wants to pay £6.50 for a pint of beer.
That sounds really nice. Especially the pizza part.

I grew up in Florida and shuffleboard is big down there.

Lots of old tooters play it.

Florida

Hi, mariposa!
Old 12-07-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi mariposa

Bim, I’ve fancied a pizza ever since Saou mentioned them other day.

I’ve spent a few single years on my own over Christmas in the past. I didn’t mind, watched some tv, ate non Christmassy stuff and chilled out, though there was pressure on to not be on my own from family and friends. I’d just decided I wanted to not get involved. It’s quite refreshing, not following a trend and doing what you want.

Just had chicken dinner so feeling full. Might be room for a scoop or two of ice-cream later.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I grew up in Florida and shuffleboard is big down there.

Lots of old tooters play it.

Florida

"old tooters" LOL! I'll have to remember that term, it's a new one on me (but a good one) The term I use is old biffas but old codgers is probably more widespread. At 59 i'm surely allowed to be ageist especially as I got stuck behind one on the A414 today.