Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Peeling away the onion layers Weekenders- Weekenders 06 - 09 December 2019

Notices

Peeling away the onion layers Weekenders- Weekenders 06 - 09 December 2019

Old 12-05-2019, 11:45 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Magsie

Red, pretty much anything then. I was just the same. Have you thought of anything that can help you go through the cravings? I found I had to do things differently at first to avoid triggers. Keeping away from old habits.
With adjusting some of your habits you can help avoid triggers until you can collect enough sober tools to help you squash them.

We’re here to support you, lean on us, we’re familiar with the potholes and bumps in the road.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags I really appreciate it.. I've done many weekends sober over the last couple of years so I know I can do it.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy Friday weekenders.

if you're having a tough time, this thread is here for you over the weekend, & indeed during the week. you don't have to struggle alone.
Eeyore thought sadly to himself, "Why?" Sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" Sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" Sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about. So when Pooh came along, Eeyore was glad to stop thinking for a little."

Old 12-06-2019, 01:58 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Oh this Eeyore quote is perfect for me right now, thanks Andy.
I’ve been thinking way too much and my thoughts are so jumbled and confused about some crazy worrying stuff going on in my family and life at the moment. I just need to stop thinking for a little and take a break from it all.
I’m going to try to sleep. I didn’t sleep well last night due to thoughts churning over and over and I have been thinking and worrying all day. When I did sleep last night I had a drinking dream. Uggh. I really just need to switch my brain off for a while. Just shy of 8pm on a Friday night here and I’m already in bed. Big party girl lol. Good night everyone
Old 12-06-2019, 03:11 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I learnt something new today

Thanks to Dragon

I learnt that I have been singing the wrong words for years !

I have been singing Hang on Snoopy, Snoopy hang onnnnnn

Aaaah had such a laugh to myself. I’m 57 years old and just found out now bahahaha.

Ta Dragon xx

Old 12-06-2019, 04:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Lol, your not alone in that.... Who calls their girlfriend 'sloopy'? (Although, 'snoopy' is not that much better...)
Old 12-06-2019, 04:12 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Interesting, apparently, it's "The Official Rock Song of the State of Ohio."
https://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...hanging-on-to/
Old 12-06-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Washington State has this as its official rock song. No one plays it better than University of Washington Marching Band.

Rose Bowl is the Big Game, UW vs WA State (football) That's what they're saying after, "We gotta go...Rose Bowl."

Willow, I've never heard that Dr Hook song about the blackbirds. Tis the time of the year when they migrate through on their way to warmer seeds.

Red, hang on. Make this your last time to go through the quit. It's worth it, so worth it.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

We have lots of red-winged blackbirds around here. They like to hang out in the cattails and other sorts of marshy grasses that often grow in the low areas next to country roads. So we see them all the time when driving around.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:08 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Im a bit scared about posting in here as everytime I do I don't make it to the end of the weekend sober..
I'm going give it another go..
I'm in...
Good to see you Red, I wish there were more people on here who were trying to quit as well as those who have done. You are giving it a go that is the most important thing. In my experience not many people succeed in quitting without a fair few failures. I certainly didn't. It is from failures that we learn.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:12 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
I learnt something new today

Thanks to Dragon

I learnt that I have been singing the wrong words for years !

I have been singing Hang on Snoopy, Snoopy hang onnnnnn

Aaaah had such a laugh to myself. I’m 57 years old and just found out now bahahaha.

Ta Dragon xx

Apparently she was a real person - Dorothy Sloop from Steubenville, Ohio.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

For real, Sao?

I can't always tell if you are kidding...
Old 12-06-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
saoutchik

People are not allowed to drink alcohol as a matter of course where I work because of the machinery here (ironically I am one of the few people that is ) Today however is an exception and people have already had an extended lunch break in a nearby bar. Even I went over for half an hour and had lemonade. As a consequence the nerf guns are out this afternoon and it is even noisier than usual. Xmas party later.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:25 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
For real, Sao?

I can't always tell if you are kidding...

Moi? Heaven forfend!

She sounds nice...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Sloop
Old 12-06-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Awesome. Look what I found,
From the album "Dixie and Sloopy - Sloopy Time"
Recorded in 1960
Composed By – Dorothy Sloop
Drums – Maeceil Silliker
Leader, Vocals, Clarinet – Yvonne “Dixie” Fasnacht
Piano, Vocals – Dorothy Sloop
Go Sloopy. I like it, and I'm not much for jazz, but I did live in Dayton, Ohio.

p.s. andyh, I loved the Pooh thing. I think we alcoholics may be a bit more Eeyore than genpop. Brain, just staaahp.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Also, Dragon, is that the Sober Bus there in Texas in the 1950s? Good to know it was always around.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Yo Troopz ~

Been keeping up on All Things Weekender while fighting a wicked, quick onset of Peripheral Neuropathy that hit ~2.5 Months ago while I was Trailering out by Moab UT. No apparent cause; it just 'is'. As happens in ~30% of such cases. So, Gabapentin is keeping the severe stinging and Nerve pain in Extremities knocked down, and things have gotten much better.

Meanwhile, I've dropped 25 lbs. on my continuing Diet just to take that Health issue off the proverbial Table. The past discipline required to sober up sure helped, so none of this stuff going on now is a large deal by comparison.

For a diversion, I've completely retooled my Stereo. The stuff I'd built eons ago was getting noisy, so I got a new Yamaha Amp. New JBL Studio Speakers are on the way. A new Blu Ray/CD Player. A new box to port any Wireless source into the Stereo at high rez. Optical connections between most everything instead of Copper Wires. Good fun; especially since I acquired everything at radical Black Friday Discounts.

Rick Derringer of The McCoys joins Ringo and Pals on Tour to play an old Hit. Hee hee, good stuff here on Sloopy!

~ Rock & Roll Hootchie Koo ~ Rick Derringer ~

The Deer, seen below out the LR Window, are back. MesaDog runs to the Glass Door when I tell him his 'Girlfriends' are outside. He thinks they're giant Dogs.

Thanks, Mags!

Old 12-06-2019, 09:28 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you MesaMan , glad the pain is mostly under control. Take care. Love the picture, I can just imagine mesadog going to have a closer look at the deer.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:34 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi, Mesa!

We've been wondering about you. I thought earlier today that all the music videos might lure you out. Sorry to hear about the PN. I have a friend who suffers with it. I hope you get some relief. Good to hear from you in your inimitable style.

Rock N Roll Hootchie Koo. Priceless..

I probably should have sold my big 1970s JBL speakers instead of giving them to Goodwill, huh?
Old 12-06-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you MesaMan , glad the pain is mostly under control. Take care. Love the picture, I can just imagine mesadog going to have a closer look at the deer.