Notices

How does one go from...

Old 12-05-2019, 10:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

The complete loss of control we experience is mind-boggling. But, it's what happens. Acceptance is the first step.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

^And the perverse thing about it is that we think it is the worst thing ever to accept, yet we gain freedom once we do. Taking that weight off, letting go of a why or how, all of it - the relief that can come is immeasurable.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I’ll probably get told off for this but ....

I’ve read countless stories of ex-drinkers who’ve tried “just the one” and end up drinking heavily again for months or even years after. I’ve not read any stories, though, about ex-drinkers who’ve successfully become moderate ones.

Like all ex-drinkers, my body/mind still tells me on occasions that a drink would be nice.

But I think of those countless stories of ex-drinkers returning to drink. These people aren’t low-class or feeble minded. They’re just as bright as me if not more so. It’d be incredibly arrogant and stupid of me to drink again and somehow think I’m immune from the same relapse problem that affected countless others.

Sorry, but anyone ignoring the relapses suffered by countless drinkers before them and deciding to drink again, that’s very arrogant.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wouldn't tell anyone off for a relapse, but I do not believe they are inevitable.

Anyone and everyone should always be welcomed back to any recovery community. That still doesn't mean that everyone makes it back, whether by choice or circumstance.

Viewing it as "not worth the risk" is essential for me, to put it mildly. So for me, continuing to work and live my AA program (and all the outside the rooms of AA stuff it entails) is the key to not becoming arrogant that I have it nailed.

Dying sober is the only victory I will have, as it will mean I did all I could with the life I have until then.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Alcoholism
Old 12-06-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I’ll probably get told off for this but ....

I’ve read countless stories of ex-drinkers who’ve tried “just the one” and end up drinking heavily again for months or even years after. I’ve not read any stories, though, about ex-drinkers who’ve successfully become moderate ones.

Like all ex-drinkers, my body/mind still tells me on occasions that a drink would be nice.

But I think of those countless stories of ex-drinkers returning to drink. These people aren’t low-class or feeble minded. They’re just as bright as me if not more so. It’d be incredibly arrogant and stupid of me to drink again and somehow think I’m immune from the same relapse problem that affected countless others.

Sorry, but anyone ignoring the relapses suffered by countless drinkers before them and deciding to drink again, that’s very arrogant.
Its also usually them ignoring their own personal experience with losing control after one drink and thinking "this time, this time it will be different and i will get control of this drinking and return to those days before i developed an addiction"
​​​​​​
Old 12-06-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ciowa View Post
Its also usually them ignoring their own personal experience with losing control after one drink and thinking "this time, this time it will be different and i will get control of this drinking and return to those days before i developed an addiction"
​​​​​​
Sadly, yes ☹️

An ex-drinker drinking again is as foolish/arrogant as someone jumping from a great height and thinking they won’t get hurt as they’re somehow different and better.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
The only way to stop drinking is to let go of finding the answers, accept that you have an incurable disease to which the solution is to never drink again.
^ Absolutely this.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpac414
The only way to stop drinking is to let go of finding the answers, accept that you have an incurable disease to which the solution is to never drink again.

Seconded (again)

AA or similar meetings and counselling are all very well, but 99.9% of quitting comes from the drinker themselves and dpac’s words above.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

As I got older- the memory gaps got larger with my drinking.

Support to you.