Notices

Back Again

Old 11-26-2019, 09:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Again

Hi folks,

I’ve been lurking and reading a lot of SR lately (as opposed to contributing) and gaining strength from some of your posts. Thank you.

I’m back on the wagon again (Day 8) and have no desire to drink at all. I’ve been through Xmas and the NY sober before and that doesn’t phase me. That said I have no hope that I will crack the solution this time other than the vague hope that as I get older I might be getting wiser?

Much love to those I’ve posted with before. I can’t name you all but I think of you very often. Some are still active - and some like me disappeared. I can only hope to see them all on here posting and sober some time soon.

Regards,

JT
Old 11-26-2019, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back JT.

For me the solution was pretty simple but at the same time pretty momentous.

I can't drink and have the life I want or be the person I want to be, so if something has to go - it has to be drinking.

It was hard to do, very hard some days, but I had support here and I used it.
I did everything I could not to drink because I knew that one more drink might be the start of that relapse I don't come back from.

what I didn't know then was how much I'd enjoy rediscovering the real me again and my authentic life - it was well worth it

D
Old 11-26-2019, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Make sobriety the most important thing in your life and dedicate your life to recovery seeking help and support as much as possible.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No worries. Thing is you made it back. Feel me. Moving forward my friend. One day at a time. ✌
Old 11-26-2019, 10:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back and I'm glad you're here!

Keep logging on, I know that this forum saved my life, got me thinking about my addiction and eventually became my constant...I log on every night before going to bed and it is my happy place.

I feel loved, supported and genuinely cared for here and I know you will make this your forever home too.

Rooting for you!
Old 11-27-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn’t have much hope either, honestly. I just put the days together, and slowly started using them, following routines including reading and posting here. How are you doing today?
Old 11-27-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Hi folks,
I have no hope that I will crack the solution this time other than the vague hope that as I get older I might be getting wiser?
I'm glad you posted Tony.

I doubt that I have grown wiser as I have grown older but it did enable me to recognise the patterns of behavior that let me to crave alcohol and in turn to repeated relapses and enabled me to do things differently the last time I quit in order to avoid those behaviors.

It took me way too long, I'm a slow learner, but desperation drove me to a solution in the end. I'm sure if you analyse your situation for long enough you will arrive at a solution too.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
I didn’t have much hope either, honestly. I just put the days together, and slowly started using them, following routines including reading and posting here. How are you doing today?
Thanks for asking. I'm doing great. I know it's only day eight but I can honestly say that drinking alcohol hasn't even crossed my mind.

I know the AV will be along at some point though. Hopefully I am ready for 'him'
Old 11-27-2019, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello, Lovely!
So glad you’re back and continue to fight for sobriety. I’m back at this again, too. I really wish this was easier, but I have to believe we’ll get this if we just stay the course; no matter how difficult.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you, JT - very sorry for your setback. Congrats on Day 8.
I'm glad you're optimistic & looking forward to better days ahead.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome JT. Lurking is a good way to learn, but being involved is way more satisfying.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good to see you back JT! 😎👍
Old 11-30-2019, 09:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great to see you back JT and sober again
Old 11-30-2019, 09:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi JT! So glad you are here. Well done on 8 days! You should come hangout in the class of November. Really great group of people.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope things are well with you JT

D
Old 11-30-2019, 10:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Tony,
Old 12-01-2019, 01:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back JT, it's lovely to see you again! Stay close and let us know how you are doing xx
Old 12-01-2019, 01:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for the messages. Yes I’m still sober. It was pretty tough on my 50th birthday (just gone) to reconcile myself to the fact that a party was out of the question and that my life has come to a point where I just dare not drink.

I wish I had done things differently at an earlier age and maybe I wouldn’t be the alcoholic I am now (I don’t believe it’s a disease I believe it’s an addiction). But I created what I am and now I must live with it and try and find joy in sobriety.

That said - other than the day of my 50th (where every man and his dog wanted me out and about partying with them) I’ve been very happy.

Regards,

JT
Old 12-01-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Make sobriety the most important thing in your life and dedicate your life to recovery seeking help and support as much as possible.
Yep!

Glad you are back JT. I had to go on that hope at first- it HAD to be better than where I was - and take action, accepting it had to be permanent and ongoing.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Happy 50th Birthday- what a remarkable gift you decided to give to yourself. I have witness people share who have decades of sobriety that were able to get Sober at age 50! Keep posting and sharing your recovery story. I am on day 36!