SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Took me so long to figure this out. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/443842-took-me-so-long-figure-out.html)

Wastinglife 12-03-2019 04:06 PM

Took me so long to figure this out.

My mother died last year. From what I was told, she just 'passed out' on the sofa and didn't wake up again. Taken to the hospital right into palliative care. I got a call from my father to say 'your mother is dying, all her organs are riddled with tumours'. She has 48 hours to live.

I am not sure if my parents didn't think for one second I wouldn't call to confirm. I called the hospital to confirm. I spoke to the nurses and was told she is 'very comfortable' no pain. Meaning, my mother is dead pretty much.

It is rare to just die from cancer. It is a progressive disease that takes a long progressive course.

My parents hid her diagnosis from me for a few years I believe. I never got to say good-bye or see my mother in two years. They kept me away. So angry! My mother neglected me from day one I was born and didn't even have the decency to tell me she was dying. **** her, burn in hell!

I called her every holiday, birthday, asked her how she was doing for 10 years after I got out of rehab from alcoholism. She never let me come over to the house. I asked to every Christmas to visit and was told some excuse.

Dee74 12-03-2019 04:22 PM

I'm sorry for your pain WL.

I can't explain why your parents chose to do things the way they did, but I hope you can find some peace with it.

D

least 12-03-2019 04:31 PM

I'm sorry you feel pain over your parents. :(

HeadEast 12-03-2019 04:33 PM

That is so sad to hear. I am sorry for your loss.

Anna 12-03-2019 04:57 PM

I'm sorry that your mother kept you away and that you weren't told she was sick until it was too late. I hope you can find some peace. I have had huge anger issues with the way my mother treated me all my life. Thankfully, I rarely have those feelings anymore. Remember that you are allowing your mother to continue to hurt you, even after she is gone. Don't give her the power to do that to you.

benitoD 12-03-2019 05:17 PM

Man, that is cold. Don't let her haunt you from the grave. Be done with it.

silentrun 12-03-2019 05:36 PM

I'm so sorry. My mom has been shunning me 6 years now because of religion. It took me 2 full years to work through it. Waves of anger and sadness came at me. You WILL get through this.

Wastinglife 12-03-2019 05:46 PM

She was an alcoholic for 30 years. I called her out on that in person. Was banished forever. I never was invited to my parents new house after they threw all my childhood possessions out

Outonthetiles 12-03-2019 05:50 PM

Very sorry, WL

Wastinglife 12-03-2019 05:51 PM

No yearbooks from school, no pictures, old baseball/hockey cards (Wayne Gretzky 2nd year card, Barry Bonds, pirates rookie card) worth thousands of dollars in any au

silentrun 12-03-2019 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wastinglife (Post 7324078)
She was an alcoholic for 30 years. I called her out on that in person. Was banished forever. I never was invited to my parents new house after they threw all my childhood possessions out

I have a recovery group of people in the same situation that helped me sort it out. You might want to find one for this.

I read some of your other posts and it sounds like she was pretty sick mentally too. I came to understand the way my mother treated me had nothing to do with me. It just really sucks when it's your mom.

Wastinglife 12-03-2019 05:55 PM

Auction. Any American/Canadian knows that collector cards are valuable here. Not about the money, but that hurt because I collected those and were my prized possessions as a child

ScottFromWI 12-03-2019 06:09 PM

Alcoholism is one of the most selfish conditions imaginable. While not as extreme I shudder at some of the things I did to those around me while I was actively using.

What will likely be helpful for you in the long run is to embrace the opportunities you have to break free from addiction yourself.

Wastinglife 12-03-2019 06:09 PM

Michael Jordan rookie card is gone too. They didn't know how valuable they were, but they never asked me. Ugghhh.....

Wastinglife 12-03-2019 06:10 PM

**** happens.

Wastinglife 12-03-2019 06:12 PM

They were all in a hard plastic case

Delilah1 12-03-2019 06:23 PM

Hi Wasting,

I’m sorry about all of this. You deserve to live a happy life, I hope you can put this behind you and start to do that.

elisava 12-04-2019 06:45 AM

my dad got sober about 40 years ago.
he had a tumored kidney removed about three years ago.
I know he's had other invasive surgeries... but my parents are keeping it under wraps.
makes me sad that they dont either want to "burden" me with this info, or just dont want to tell me...

Dee74 12-04-2019 03:35 PM

I dunno about you wl but when I was deep in my alcoholism I was not in my right mind.

Sounds like your mom might have been the same way - maybe your dad was codependent.

Maybe they were both a little bizarrely put together like my folks.

I'm a musician. My folks threw out dozens of cassette tapes I'd made on my 4 track machine - decades worth - cos they 'took up too much room'.

One small duffel bag, LOL.

Whats done is done man.

It would be a tragedy for you to keep yourself in pain for something you can't do anything about now.

D