Notices

Loss of parent

Old 12-03-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
My emotions have been all over the place today. I went to a noon AA meeting and sobbed most of the time, but sharing was great. Got lots of hugs afterward and some wise words from a chaplain. Also leaned on many good friends and family. I do there is growth from the darkness.
Sounds like you managed your emotions really well with lots of support. I’m really proud of you, and know your mom will be as well. Keep checking in.❤️
Old 12-03-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello, I just lost my mother and thought it would be good to post here. She was 92 years old and had fallen and broken her hip. She had complications from surgery, but really I think she felt ready to pass.

I’m in early sobriety, so I have an urge to drink and numb the loss. But I’m going to honor my mom’s life by staying sober.

I understand how you feel. My mother passed away suddenly this year and I was in shock. She went to the hospital on Friday and when I went to pick her up on Saturday she was asking for a priest and to receive Last Rites.

You're sad and will be for some time but to start drinking over her death won't ease the pain.

My condolences go out to you.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hello, I just lost my mother and thought it would be good to post here. She was 92 years old and had fallen and broken her hip. She had complications from surgery, but really I think she felt ready to pass.

I’m in early sobriety, so I have an urge to drink and numb the loss. But I’m going to honor my mom’s life by staying sober.
Kudos to you! Interesting perspective. You value what your mother would have wanted for you, over your drinking. You value your mother's values.

Values are what we think are more important than our feelings!

When my father died, on 2009, I stopped drinking and doing drugs because I had to help my 92 year old mother cope. I had no problem not drinking because I valued my mother more than getting high. Eventually she accepted my fathers death and I went right back to making drugs and alcohol my values and purpose in life. In retrospect, I should have realized the importance then of how values shape our behavior.

It took me five more years to realize that values and purpose are the main navigational tools in life, not getting high every chance I could.

When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction. Choose good values that would make yourself, others and God proud.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am so sorry for the loss of your mom, and the loss of your canine companion. I'm glad you've decided to stay sober. Drinking doesn't make the pain go away, it just covers it up temporarily, but it all comes back eventually.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss and thanks for your timely post. My 84 year old father broke his hip two weeks ago and is having complications due to surgery. Last conversation with the DR yesterday, was removing the breathing tube this weekend and making him "comfortable" - barring some miraculous recovery.

I am early in my most recent recovery also and I will NOT drink. I had 10 years sober when my younger brother died. I relapsed and binged for two years. It was not worth it, as it made things much worse. Stay strong! You wont regret it.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
Kudos to you! Interesting perspective. You value what your mother would have wanted for you, over your drinking. You value your mother's values.

Values are what we think are more important than our feelings!

When my father died, on 2009, I stopped drinking and doing drugs because I had to help my 92 year old mother cope. I had no problem not drinking because I valued my mother more than getting high. Eventually she accepted my fathers death and I went right back to making drugs and alcohol my values and purpose in life. In retrospect, I should have realized the importance then of how values shape our behavior.

It took me five more years to realize that values and purpose are the main navigational tools in life, not getting high every chance I could.

When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction. Choose good values that would make yourself, others and God proud.
I do find when there is a purpose and need to help others, my desire to drink just vanishes. Isn’t that “self seeking slipping away”?
Old 12-04-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by izzy1962 View Post
Sorry for your loss and thanks for your timely post. My 84 year old father broke his hip two weeks ago and is having complications due to surgery. Last conversation with the DR yesterday, was removing the breathing tube this weekend and making him "comfortable" - barring some miraculous recovery.

I am early in my most recent recovery also and I will NOT drink. I had 10 years sober when my younger brother died. I relapsed and binged for two years. It was not worth it, as it made things much worse. Stay strong! You wont regret it.
You too Izzy. In her last hour my mom insisted they take her off oxygen. She was ready to go. While that was a difficult moment, in retrospect if someone goes when they’re ready, It sure beats life being stripped from someone who is not.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Today is the appointment with the vet to help Freddie dog across the rainbow bridge. He’s lying at my feet and doesn’t want to get up. It’s time...I know, he knows.

May God grant me serenity and courage.

Tomorrow I fly home to join family.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry PinnacleOR - best wishes and thoughts to you and Freddie today

D
Old 12-04-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I do find when there is a purpose and need to help others, my desire to drink just vanishes. Isn’t that “self seeking slipping away”?
I don't understand what you mean when you reference, "Self seeking, slipping away."

I do know that when you serve others, you empower yourself with your unselfish behavior and regain control of your feelings, in a healthy manner. Specifically you escape the helplessness trap from an emotional perspective. There are many ways to escape the trap of feeling helpless, but serving others is a powerful one. In fact it is why many of us post here, including me.

We all want to experience happiness in our lives, we want to be in control, because the perception of control, makes us feel good.

Matthew 11:28 “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. This scripture might appear paradoxical but when you delegate control to God, he reciprocates with the empowering Holy Spirit.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
I don't understand what you mean when you reference, "Self seeking, slipping away."

I do know that when you serve others, you empower yourself with your unselfish behavior and regain control of your feelings, in a healthy manner. Specifically you escape the helplessness trap from an emotional perspective. There are many ways to escape the trap of feeling helpless, but serving others is a powerful one. In fact it is why many of us post here, including me.

We all want to experience happiness in our lives, we want to be in control, because the perception of control, makes us feel good.

Matthew 11:28 “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. This scripture might appear paradoxical but when you delegate control to God, he reciprocates with the empowering Holy Spirit.
It’s from the AA Promises.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

How's it going Pinnacle?

D