Notices

Too late for me?

Old 12-01-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Too late for me?

What if I was the frog that didn't climb out of the pot until it was too late?

Never have dealt with anything so terrifying, lonely and soul crushing...and I've had my share of struggles.

I'm doing daily work on my sobriety, no cravings...just fear, every day morning to night.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

None of us know what the future will hold, what tomorrow will bring. The main thing is to be sober now and to stay that way. That's all you can do, and that's a LOT.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very true. But we can also develop plans for the future to help us stay sober.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

It is never to late as long as you are breathing, just keep moving forward. You don't drown by falling in the river. You drown by staying there.

When I face my fears, confront them, and move forward that is how I get through them. When I do that, I get to the other side and freedom. When I do that I discover two things.
1.) I have way more strength than I give myself credit for.
2.) The fear was not near the boogeyman that I had built up in my mind.

Use your fear to put you in touch with your courage. Your courage will get you to the other side.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have no fear this journey we are on is not scripted its different for all yet the same. If you get my drift. Thus that's what the sharing is all about see what work in for folks on this path. Pretty cool actually been doing it for 211 days so far. Many chapters to go. ✌
Old 12-01-2019, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why waste a minute of worrying, is something
I have to remind myself often. Remembering
what is important, most important or else I
wouldn't have anything else in my life.

Sobriety and living a life in recovery is extremely
important and something I had to learn early on in
sobriety.

After I entered rehab via a family intervention,
placed into the hands of those knowledgeable
and capable of teaching me about my addiction
to alcohol and it's affects on me and those around
me, they handed me the gift of a recovery program
to learn and incorporate in my everyday life.

From the moment I left rehab and my 6 week
aftercare program, I knew that it was up to me
to take what was taught to me and continue on
with my own recovery doing everything humanly
possible to remain sober building a strong, solid
foundation to live my life upon moving forward.

That journey began the very first sober day I
had which back in Aug. 1990, some 29 yrs of
continuous sobriety.

Over the past yrs, I like many who have also
lived a life in recovery, have gone thru many
changes to become the best sober person I
can possibly be today.

With the program of recovery taught and learned
along with lots of faith and prayers, I remain teachable
to continue learning new and healthier ways to enjoy
living this sober life.

You can too. Let your recovery journey in life begin
relying on the help and guidance from others so that
you are never alone.

SR is here for you giving you lots of hope.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try and stay in the present moment. I am very happy for you. Realized you had a problem and want to help yourself. That is huge. I was struggling early today and it has passed. I hope you feel content and safe in this present moment.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are going through a very painful time. I've been through such times so I have an idea what you are dealing with. Of course, everybody's situation is different, so I don't want to sound like I know what you are going through. But pain is something we all understand. I think pain is a demon much like alcoholism is. I think it's something that just wants us to give in to. Try to remember that you are much more than the pain you are dealing with. Pain can be incredibly sharp but it's really a small part of what we are made of. Your post reminds me of the saying, no pain, no gain. Try to look outside the pain and see the good around you. Good luck. John
Old 12-01-2019, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I worked those AA steps to find my fears, face them and to be rid of them. That's what worked for me. Anxiety? Mostly self-made. Everything can be dealt with, in time.

You'll find what works for you.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First, thank you for all the responses. I appreciate everyone reaching out to me as no one in my life is aware. I suppose the fear in going through this alone makes it more gut wrenching. I have friends scattered throughout the US, but I cant imagine telling them what I'm going through and letting them down.

I have health anxiety and am a fairly worrisome person overall at this point in my life. Its grown to an overwhelming and all consuming point in my life now. Was never this way when I was younger, but over the years it has gotten worse with deployments, responsibilities, work stress, family illness, death of close friends and just age now that I'm in my early 40s. You might not sense it if you met me professionally, but inside it's like a raging inferno most days.

I know the worry isn't productive or healthy...it just takes over some days. Drinking myself to death's door until I quit in mid-October has been awful...more than half the days are pure hell.

Exercising, reading every day, attempting proper nutrition and rest to let my body heal..some days just no appetite when my anxiety is sky high.

I've kindled myself into hell. Baby steps are all I can do and hope I wake up every day.

Thanks again for your kindness.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

The frog analogy isn't meant to scare anyone so I'm sorry if it did you, sadforldr7

Stretching the analogy to breaking point, it would only be too late for those frogs who have 'ceased to be' as Monty Python might put it

I drank all day every day and did for several years. If anyone should think it was too late it was me.

But I didn't want things to end that way - I changed my life entirely. I didn;t move house or cut my hair or anything like that...but I did start working on building a sober life I loved, and removing negative influences from my life.

With the help and support of SR I turned things around. One day at a time - good days, bad days but always sober days.

You can too.

D
Old 12-01-2019, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As long as you're still breathing, it's not too late.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

sadforldr, you are very obviously a strong person.

For several weeks now you have been suffering from acute anxiety. I'm not an alcoholic so I can't speak from that perspective but you did mention in one of your posts that you have been looking for a Doctor outside of your military environment.

Have you had any success with that?

I commend your courage, but there is exactly zero shame in seeking and accepting help. I hope that perhaps you will make finding that doctor a priority
Old 12-01-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadforldr7 View Post
First, thank you for all the responses. I appreciate everyone reaching out to me as no one in my life is aware. I suppose the fear in going through this alone makes it more gut wrenching. I have friends scattered throughout the US, but I cant imagine telling them what I'm going through and letting them down.

I have health anxiety and am a fairly worrisome person overall at this point in my life. Its grown to an overwhelming and all consuming point in my life now. Was never this way when I was younger, but over the years it has gotten worse with deployments, responsibilities, work stress, family illness, death of close friends and just age now that I'm in my early 40s. You might not sense it if you met me professionally, but inside it's like a raging inferno most days.

I know the worry isn't productive or healthy...it just takes over some days. Drinking myself to death's door until I quit in mid-October has been awful...more than half the days are pure hell.

Exercising, reading every day, attempting proper nutrition and rest to let my body heal..some days just no appetite when my anxiety is sky high.

I've kindled myself into hell. Baby steps are all I can do and hope I wake up every day.

Thanks again for your kindness.
I am going through a similar thing, indeed I am actually agoraphobic at the moment!

Like you I blame kindling, as I 'stopped' for several days over the last few months only to go back to the booze. I tried to taper my alcohol intake before stopping, but found that I was unable to control it and would end up getting completely drunk. In the end I just stopped with the aid of some valium.

I thought the anxiety was lessening, but the last few days have been hellish; I am now panicky, obsessing about my heart and worrying about whether this nightmare will ever end.

Best of luck, and may God bless you.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
As long as you're still breathing, it's not too late.
Never in a million years did I assume I'd have to worry about waking up the next day. Thank you, least. Trying to put one foot in front of the other every day...47 days.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The frog analogy isn't meant to scare anyone so I'm sorry if it did you, sadforldr7

Stretching the analogy to breaking point, it would only be too late for those frogs who have 'ceased to be' as Monty Python might put it

I drank all day every day and did for several years. If anyone should think it was too late it was me.

But I didn't want things to end that way - I changed my life entirely. I didn;t move house or cut my hair or anything like that...but I did start working on building a sober life I loved, and removing negative influences from my life.

With the help and support of SR I turned things around. One day at a time - good days, bad days but always sober days.

You can too.

D
I just wake up hoping to feel loads better somedays and I'm not there yet...sometimes in reading the posts, it causes me more worry that I have passed a point of recovering and my health will permanently suffer.

47 days and I'm just doing my best to keep going. This weekend was very difficult. Lonely and scared as a grown adult...never thought I'd get here. Thank you as always, Dee...for your compassion and caring for all.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
I am going through a similar thing, indeed I am actually agoraphobic at the moment!

Like you I blame kindling, as I 'stopped' for several days over the last few months only to go back to the booze. I tried to taper my alcohol intake before stopping, but found that I was unable to control it and would end up getting completely drunk. In the end I just stopped with the aid of some valium.

I thought the anxiety was lessening, but the last few days have been hellish; I am now panicky, obsessing about my heart and worrying about whether this nightmare will ever end.

Best of luck, and may God bless you.
Best of luck to you as well, Auchie. I've been following a bit of your threads and I know you're making efforts to change your life too. The racing heart part of all this is brutal...I can relate.

I quit for about 18 months in winter of 2017, then relapsed last year until mid Oct, wine binging. My blood pressure was normal today and that was the one moment of reassurance I've had...I checked it after a short visit to the gym.

I don't have an issue with agoraphobia, I'd actually welcome the company of a good friend. Moved to a new area and although very independent, going thru this alone has been torture.

I'm in the post acute phase I would assume with some sky high acute anxiety mixed in. Can't turn off the worry...brain just won't stop.

Blessings to you too...hope day by day we get a little stronger.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
sadforldr, you are very obviously a strong person.

For several weeks now you have been suffering from acute anxiety. I'm not an alcoholic so I can't speak from that perspective but you did mention in one of your posts that you have been looking for a Doctor outside of your military environment.

Have you had any success with that?

I commend your courage, but there is exactly zero shame in seeking and accepting help. I hope that perhaps you will make finding that doctor a priority
Looking for an appt with military provider in December, despite being hesitant to do so, it's time. Life challenges have piled up and its obvious I'm no longer equipped to get through it alone. Compounded stress and losses are just too much on top of my healing from this awful relapse; 47 days in and I'm really struggling. Not with cravings or desire to drink, but to stay positive and hopeful.

Ironic that I'm giving a speech to an audience of 200 this week and that causes me very little to no anxiety, but my mind will convince me of a million other things to ruminate and worry over...my health, my future, my weak constitution, my past and more.

Thank you trail, for lending your concern.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just wake up hoping to feel loads better somedays and I'm not there yet...sometimes in reading the posts, it causes me more worry that I have passed a point of recovering and my health will permanently suffer.

47 days and I'm just doing my best to keep going. This weekend was very difficult. Lonely and scared as a grown adult...never thought I'd get here. Thank you as always, Dee...for your compassion and caring for all.
again don;t want to worry you but I drank for 20 years - it took me longer than 47 days to consistently feel better from that kind of history - around 90 days I felt a real lasting change for the better - I hope you will too

D
Old 12-01-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you as well, Auchie. I've been following a bit of your threads and I know you're making efforts to change your life too. The racing heart part of all this is brutal...I can relate.
The last couple of days I have been getting what feels like a single very strong heart beat which is accompanied with, or perhaps preceded by, a sort of adrenaline rush...and then I feel panicky.

I quit for about 18 months in winter of 2017, then relapsed last year until mid Oct, wine binging. My blood pressure was normal today and that was the one moment of reassurance I've had...I checked it after a short visit to the gym.
Eighteen months is amazing! The longest I have done since I was fifteen is nine months, and I could kick myself for ever drinking again. Maybe that's why this is so bad...maybe it's so in nine months we don't look back and think "ach, what's the harm in having a wee drink..."

I don't have an issue with agoraphobia, I'd actually welcome the company of a good friend. Moved to a new area and although very independent, going thru this alone has been torture.

I'm in the post acute phase I would assume with some sky high acute anxiety mixed in. Can't turn off the worry...brain just won't stop.

Blessings to you too...hope day by day we get a little stronger.
I'm pretty lonely, too. I'm also wondering whether this will be it for me, and that I'll lose my job and spend my life as a recluse. I'm in my early forties too, by the way.

I've sent you a friend request (the first time I have sent one actually). Hopefully we can look back on this in a year and be grateful.