SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   1 year (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/443780-1-year.html)

LostLilly 12-01-2019 08:14 AM

1 year

So I got to the one year mark. I’m blessed to have gotten to this point after many struggles and so many consequences. Something that really helped me was hanging around with more sober people rather than the ones I used to drink with. I’m also thankful for this board and AA. My faith life has improved a lot as well and needless to say my home environment is more stable. Everything does not get perfect when you get sober, sometimes it’s harder to go through things sober actually. But there isn’t that constant feeling of guilt, sickness, remorse, memory loss. Better choices with a clearer head are a huge bonus

faith823 12-01-2019 08:19 AM

Thank you for the hope and wonderful post.
Congrats on one year!

gypsytears 12-01-2019 08:19 AM

Congratulations! May your experience help those still struggling. Thank you for the inspirational post.

least 12-01-2019 08:22 AM

Congrats on the first of many sober years! :hug:

OtterIsland 12-01-2019 08:24 AM

Congrats to you! Thanks for sharing your hope with all of us!! ❤️

fini 12-01-2019 08:52 AM

way to go, LostLily!

Briansy 12-01-2019 09:13 AM

Amazing stuff.

sadforldr7 12-01-2019 09:26 AM

Congrats on reaching one year...reading your threads today gave me a little hope. You've worked so hard to get here.

CRRHCC 12-01-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by LostLilly (Post 7321961)
So I got to the one year mark. I’m blessed to have gotten to this point after many struggles and so many consequences. Something that really helped me was hanging around with more sober people rather than the ones I used to drink with. I’m also thankful for this board and AA. My faith life has improved a lot as well and needless to say my home environment is more stable. Everything does not get perfect when you get sober, sometimes it’s harder to go through things sober actually. But there isn’t that constant feeling of guilt, sickness, remorse, memory loss. Better choices with a clearer head are a huge bonus

If you are like me, you will look back at your life and say, "What was I thinking?" When you can see the forest through the trees you realize that in actuality, you chose drinking as a temporary source of feeling better or happy. Reasons for drinking are driven by emotional factors, usually feelings of helplessness (about whatever in life makes me feel overwhelmingly trapped). You always have a choice. You can escape the helplessness trap with empowering high value thinking and behavior. We have free will, choose a better life. When and if you, "reverse engineer," your old thinking, you can learn new empowering behaviors.

Values and purpose are the main navigational tools in life. If you don't have them, find them!

LostLilly 12-01-2019 01:38 PM

Thank you so very much for your replies. I totally agree that I drank to escape situations that were too hard, emotions that were way too overwhelming. I’m still working to change my thinking. I have made progress and continue to try to change old habits and learn from the wisdom of others.

Hevyn 12-01-2019 01:43 PM

A whole year - that is wonderful, LostLily. :) Well done. Things will continue to get even better as you get used to your new normal.

Dee74 12-01-2019 03:30 PM

Congratulations LostLilly :)

D

Maudcat 12-01-2019 03:56 PM

Congratulations.
Well done, you!

DriGuy 12-02-2019 12:54 PM

The OP was a very accurate description of recovery. Good job.

Wastinglife 12-02-2019 10:19 PM

I never have made it to a year of sobriety. 9 months is the longest. I don't remember much detail from the past decade. I can remember the sober stretches but I was just as lonely and bored as when I was drinking. Sober or drunk, my life is miserable. I think that's why I keep going back to drinking.

Pressmetilihurt 12-02-2019 11:30 PM

Wellllllll. Done!

Delilah1 12-03-2019 06:27 AM

Congratulations on one year! That is a huge accomplishment. Do something to celebrate yourself!

Delilah1 12-03-2019 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wastinglife (Post 7323404)
I never have made it to a year of sobriety. 9 months is the longest. I don't remember much detail from the past decade. I can remember the sober stretches but I was just as lonely and bored as when I was drinking. Sober or drunk, my life is miserable. I think that's why I keep going back to drinking.

Hi Wasting,

You can change this, if you give sobriety a chance. I found Recovery was about much more than just not drinking, although that was obviously the first and most important thing.

I needed to do things that brought me happiness. I enjoy going for walks, and being outdoors, I do this daily. I spend a lot of time at my kid’s activities, and have connected with many of the other parents, Which is a nice support. I enjoy reading, so I always have a book from the library, and each night before going to bed I read for at least 30 minutes, sometimes longer. I read and post on here daily, and I’ve formed a great online community of friends and support. I practice mindfulness, which helps me to remain in the present.

What do you enjoy doing? Think about how you can weave these things into your recovery plan.

BackandScared 12-03-2019 09:28 AM

congratulations!

SoberCAH 12-03-2019 12:43 PM

Great job, Lilly.

Keep it up.