Notices

Class of December 2019 part 1

Old 12-02-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Pete.
I would never have been safe in an all inclusive, for the first few years of my sobriety.
You can do this, perhaps more sober muscles are needed, but the more we feed the AV the harder it is from its clutches.

Keep posting, we missed you. X
Old 12-02-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi you lovely lot, just checking in quickly on day 15 for me.
I'm being a bit (very) anti-social at the moment, and not going out socially if I can possibly avoid it - missed a works 'do' at the weekend, when they all got 'mortal' (lovely word isn't it?) Glad I stayed at home with the cat and watched Strictly instead (UK'ers will know what I'm on about)! I'm aware that Christmas will bring its own challenges, but I'm thinking that if I've got a few good weeks dry before it happens, I can face it with a bit more strength than usual.
Thanks all, we can do this.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

This Aussie (British parents) knows what you're on about Stevie.
Mortal....as in replacing the blood in our veins with alcohol....ha ha.....I always loved that one.

What I don't know is if Strictly Ballroom is like the Aussie and US ones where it's all celebs? Oh.....now I do cos I looked it up. So who do you want to win?

I think skipping the booze-ups at this time of year is good full stop, but newly sober it is a very very wise idea. s xx
Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberStevie View Post
Hi you lovely lot, just checking in quickly on day 15 for me.
I'm being a bit (very) anti-social at the moment, and not going out socially if I can possibly avoid it - missed a works 'do' at the weekend, when they all got 'mortal' (lovely word isn't it?) Glad I stayed at home with the cat and watched Strictly instead (UK'ers will know what I'm on about)! I'm aware that Christmas will bring its own challenges, but I'm thinking that if I've got a few good weeks dry before it happens, I can face it with a bit more strength than usual.
Thanks all, we can do this.
Same here, Stevie. It's amazing that even for me, a genuinely antisocial person, there are things and people to be avoided. And it's hard to do. Good you've got the cat to keep you company!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Love the term "mortal" by the way - I went to Uni in Durham so am fond of the North East people and their colloquialisms! Less enamoured by Strictly!!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi id like to join, day 1 for me
Old 12-02-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

So happy to see you dear Tinkerbeau s ❤️
Look after yourself today....we are all with you.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
This Aussie (British parents) knows what you're on about Stevie.
Mortal....as in replacing the blood in our veins with alcohol....ha ha.....I always loved that one.

What I don't know is if Strictly Ballroom is like the Aussie and US ones where it's all celebs? Oh.....now I do cos I looked it up. So who do you want to win?

I think skipping the booze-ups at this time of year is good full stop, but newly sober it is a very very wise idea. s xx
After Saturday's jive, I want Karim to win, he was amazing.
Mortal - round here they say "good night last night...got totally mortal - woke up with a kebab stuck in me hair - grand"
Old 12-02-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Love Durham Briansy - the north east is pure mint!
Old 12-02-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I totally relate Red. I read often but sometimes just can't post, too ashamed as it's again and again and feel people must be sick of me or think I don't want it enough. But the only times I've had decent stints of sobriety are when I post on here regularly.
I feel like this too... If I don't come here and post I don't seem to get any days in and I'm sure people get sick of rinse and repeat, it's silly as we are all aware of it as 99.9% of us have done this.
More to the point I'm sick of myself doing it, I have such good intentions and then falter in a few days...
Old 12-02-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Who gets sick of it? Yes....exactly.....it hurts ourselves. WE get sick of it. s ❤️

Rather than putting pressure on yourself love, maybe do this one day at a time.
Just for today we can do this yes? Just one day. Who is in? s
Old 12-02-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I might be getting this wrong but someone will correct me if I am

In Rational Recovery, where the idea comes from, they see the AV as part of us - a corrupted damaged part of us.

I didn't like that much when I started because I wanted It to be alien to me -seperate...but I prefer that view now because it means that the most of me - the good bit - can always triumph over the bad.

Its not a fight or a battle - it's over when I simply stop listening to that side of me and letting it call the shots

D
I guess it's like the battle of the wolves, the one that wins is the wolf that you feed - darkness or light, both are these are there..
Old 12-02-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Well officially no booze for 48 hours. Feeling the effects of withdraw big time. Sweat the bed last night.....literally woke up drenched and was somehow still cold all at the same time. Headache, GI issues, exhausted. Just walked in the door from work (usually a dangerous time for me) so I figured I'd log on and check in. I will not drink today.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
Well officially no booze for 48 hours. Feeling the effects of withdraw big time. Sweat the bed last night.....literally woke up drenched and was somehow still cold all at the same time. Headache, GI issues, exhausted. Just walked in the door from work (usually a dangerous time for me) so I figured I'd log on and check in. I will not drink today.
You're doing well, the first few days are the hardest, and walking in the door after work is still a major trigger for me. I used to buy a bottle of wine from the shop on the way home - now I walk back another way so avoid the shop. Then I stick the kettle on and drink tea, which I don't want, but I do it. Small changes, trying to break old habits... You can do this - my first five days were grim, then the fog started to lift. We're here for you.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
We are here with you..... s

I had all of that.....it passed after a couple of weeks.... s ❤️
Old 12-02-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

The change of route home is a good one. I did the same, unfortunately the other route passes a mini Tesco rather than co op but at least it’s not routine.

When I failed this time I was abroad on holiday so wasn’t a case of doing it at home so I’m hoping tomorrow when I go back to work after the holiday I will just go back to what I was doing before, coming through the door and having a lemonade!
Old 12-02-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi all. Lurking and waiting to join. I figure if I post today that might help
Me get back on track tomorrow. No accountability always leads to one more day for me. I will be back tomorrow for day one. Good to see some familiar names still trying to kick this awful addiction.

I’ve made it through weddings, thanksgiving, birthdays, and now I want to be sober for December/Christmas. That would be amazing. See you tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

It IS going to be amazing darling Quit. ❤️
Old 12-02-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Checking in at 30 days. RAL, Red, Quitnow, so nice to see you all posting. RAL, no one is sick of you. I used to think the same thing about myself back in Sept/Oct when I was cycling through relapse every few days, but ultimately I always came back and posted because I knew it was better than not posting. Heck, it's entirely possible people are sick of me even now but I am going to post anyway lol.

Walking in the door after work is a trigger for sure... I open a cold soda now, ginger ale or Sprite usually. I know they're full of sugar and maybe that's not a good long term plan, but it's working for right now. I also recently gave La Croix a chance... I know I'm about a million years behind the rest of the world, I was skeptical until now because of how trendy it is, but they are pretty good! My bf has even gotten into them now and he usually doesn't like seltzer.

For everyone struggling with the first couple days, just know it gets so, so much better.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Checking in at the end of Day 6! Went to a new aquatic workout class tonight....it worked me good!! Hope all is well with others....so good to read your posts!