Notices

Class of December 2019 part 1

Old 12-01-2019, 11:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.
Feel awful, day 2 plus winter blues. How many more times can I put myself through this. You raise a really good point Otter. I sometimes think I don't want sobriety enough. Then I do. Then I don't. It's so complicated isn't it. I know it's the AV but it seem like ME in the moment wanting to pick up again.

Far too many deep thoughts for Monday morning. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:47 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I might be getting this wrong but someone will correct me if I am

In Rational Recovery, where the idea comes from, they see the AV as part of us - a corrupted damaged part of us.

I didn't like that much when I started because I wanted It to be alien to me -seperate...but I prefer that view now because it means that the most of me - the good bit - can always triumph over the bad.

Its not a fight or a battle - it's over when I simply stop listening to that side of me and letting it call the shots

D
Old 12-02-2019, 01:17 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Good morning everyone.
Feel awful, day 2 plus winter blues. How many more times can I put myself through this. You raise a really good point Otter. I sometimes think I don't want sobriety enough. Then I do. Then I don't. It's so complicated isn't it. I know it's the AV but it seem like ME in the moment wanting to pick up again.

Far too many deep thoughts for Monday morning. Hope everyone has a good day.
I so get this, sometimes I want sobriety sooo much and then other times I want it but not enough to make a huge effort. One thing I do know though, without this support network here I wouldn't get any sober days... One day it will stick and every sober stint counts as it will give us a reference to pull from the next time we try...
Old 12-02-2019, 01:36 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm here again.. Day 2.. I feel like I'm on wash, rinse and repeat.. Round and round we go...

Do I really want this, absolutely..

Do I know how to live a life without alcohol, absolutely not.

Every time I do this I learn more, I learn what to stay away from and what my triggers are, I'm a slow learner I guess when it comes to this but one thing I know is that I can't be a normal drinker, it always leads back to excess at some point..
Old 12-02-2019, 01:39 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Red

yeah the changing my life to better reflect my desire to be sober was the hard bit.

I was scared of change - but then I got to a point I was scared not to.

D
Old 12-02-2019, 01:58 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
I so get this, sometimes I want sobriety sooo much and then other times I want it but not enough to make a huge effort. One thing I do know though, without this support network here I wouldn't get any sober days... One day it will stick and every sober stint counts as it will give us a reference to pull from the next time we try...
I totally relate Red. I read often but sometimes just can't post, too ashamed as it's again and again and feel people must be sick of me or think I don't want it enough. But the only times I've had decent stints of sobriety are when I post on here regularly.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Even tho I ask some curly questions some times, I hope neither of you feel judgement in this thread

D
Old 12-02-2019, 03:25 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Starting Day 6 today. For today I know I want to be sober. And for now today is all that matters to me.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi all. Welcome to those familiar and those not. I am back to 2 weeks today. I really wasn't worried about Thanksgiving, but it turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. I'm thinking the progression was trying to move forward.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:40 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Gosh no Dee. not you, never you. Thanks for all you do for us.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I totally relate Red. I read often but sometimes just can't post, too ashamed as it's again and again and feel people must be sick of me or think I don't want it enough. But the only times I've had decent stints of sobriety are when I post on here regularly.
I'm never sick of you, always so glad to see you posting. Keep fighting. We will beat this!
Old 12-02-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Coder
I was wondering how you were.
Welcome back

D
Thank you. Not bad but not brilliant is how I am

But I am focussing on an advent prayer retreat which is all about reflection, 'repentance'(!), and healing.

And I have 'the 'Big Book' on audible to listen to help keep my path straight on the way home.

Day 2...
Old 12-02-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi guys, checking in from the ghost of December 2017 class! As I approach the 2-year sober mark, I 100% credit my classes (also January) for keeping me on track during the holiday season and beyond. You are so lucky to be restarting your life before the new year - thinking the best possible sober and happy thoughts for ALL of you.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Palmer.
I so agree.....there is no better time. s
Old 12-02-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
I'm here again.. Day 2.. I feel like I'm on wash, rinse and repeat.. Round and round we go...

Do I really want this, absolutely..

Do I know how to live a life without alcohol, absolutely not.

Every time I do this I learn more, I learn what to stay away from and what my triggers are, I'm a slow learner I guess when it comes to this but one thing I know is that I can't be a normal drinker, it always leads back to excess at some point..
I was a very very slow learner with all of this. I did wash rinse repeat for so many years, and the point was that I did not have A CLUE how to live a life without alcohol.

The more we talk about this, the better I think. We need to relearn things in recovery and sometimes it feels overwhelming. But together we can work it all out. s
Old 12-02-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Just reiterating that no-one is sick of you.
You are loved honey, and gosh no-one is judging you either.....this took me so many years I am embarrassed to write down the number. s xx
Old 12-02-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Hi all. Welcome to those familiar and those not. I am back to 2 weeks today. I really wasn't worried about Thanksgiving, but it turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. I'm thinking the progression was trying to move forward.
Hello love.
I missed you!!! s

Let's work our way to Christmas and not let the triggers trip us up....it is a tough time of year, but we can all do this. s xx
Old 12-02-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Morning folks! Checking in early on Day 2. Not feeling the greatest physically but I did get to bed sober last night and I woke up with no hangover this morning! I can relate to so much of what everyone is feeling and experiencing here. Thanks to all for sharing. It makes it a less lonely journey.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi all. Third class I’ve joined after letting myself down after getting back to almost 6 weeks. Went on an all inclusive holiday to Tenerife and thought (stupidly I know) that I would be able to control it if I had a couple each day. Well we all know that is impossible for an alcoholic to do so it’s been a heavy week and feeling the effects today back on day 1. Need to sort it out for good for my young family as they need me.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

You need you Pete.....you love sober Pete. s
And of course so does your beautiful family. s

That's the thing.....who do you like better.....this is a question for all of us.....and I know we all have the same answer. So why try to do something that turns you into someone you do not like at all?

To escape? Escape what? Happiness? Feeling well?
Maybe a lot of the FOMO stuff....especially on a holiday....but unfortunately for us, choosing to say yes to alcohol means the holiday is pretty much guaranteed to be a ruin.

Anyway, WE MISSED YOU BIG TIME!!!!
We love you Pete.....so glad to see you today. ❤️