Notices

Update and some questions

Old 11-29-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update and some questions

Good morning, hope all is well. So just some quick background that I've suffer(ed) with. I admittedly have moderate to higher than moderate health anxiety which causes all kinds of problems for me. I had an ultrasound that showed up as fatty liver back in June. It was actually a "tick" past fatty liver so I stopped, for a while. I've read on this site that being "scared" only lasts for a while and then you revert back to your old ways, which I did for a few months. Not everyday but at least 3-4 days a week. I also had liver blood work in the end of June and it came back with a normal AST/ALT which is better than higher enzymes but I know that you can have normal AST/ALT and still have a damaged liver (just not sure how).

I went and had a physical in mid November and felt pretty good leaving the place as I hadn't been drinking and the MD said my blood work looked good.

I told him I had been having some numbness in my feet and scratching a lot and in my palms also and he said to take some benadryl, etc. but I didn't do that. So I made the mistake of looking at my labs and noticed a couple of things. First, my blood sugar was at 100 which is pre-diabetic and when I looked back at my last labs in March they were at 90 which is normal. I remember I was in a hotel the night before the test so I'm pretty sure I had breakfast there and, looking back at my expense report, I know I at least had a diet coke before my blood draw so maybe that affected the results???

So the reason comes back to this. Of course once I saw the pre diabeties of 100 a symptom of that is pins and needles in my hand/feet so I started to freak out and went to a podiatrist this week. He said nothing looked out of wack and prescribed me something called NeuRX TF which looks to be a Vitamin B supplement for nerves health as he thinks that with my Celiac I may be getting malabsorption causing the tingling, etc. So my questions are below and I'd appreciate any feedback.

1) I googled the pins and needles thing and, of course, alcoholic neuropathy comes up which is possible. I'm just not sure what "real life" alcoholic neuro feels like versus reading about it so any feedback would be great.

2) I'm also going into see a dietician next week to discuss my diet and lowering my blood sugar. Any success with this out there? This is a place where they take your blood, etc. and tailor make a plan for you.

3) I'm on day 4 right now and between the feeling in my hands and other issues with the holidays, I'm sleeping hideously at night. Up at 2 and cant get back to sleep as my mind just races.

Any help on the positive side would be great for me as I've already beaten myself up enough with the negatives.

Thanks so much for allowing me to post and reply and be part of this community.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure what alcoholic neuropathy feel like, other than pins and needles, It's good that you saw a podiatrist, but you might also want to talk to your regular gp if you still have questions.

Hopefully you can lower your blood sugar with some changes in diet. I think talking to a dietician and watching your diet are good choices to make.

It's hard to not stress about health issues, but try to take some time to just relax and breathe each day.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna. I appreciate you taking some time to read and reply.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From personal experience I can say its not a good idea to consult Dr. Google, I used to do that for the minorest symptoms and according to Google had everything from Leprosy to Polio.
According to my doctor, while discussing my last blood tests, some spikes are normal especially if you don't properly fast before a blood test.
I'm sure if your Dr had any concern with your tests you'd be the first to know.
Make sure you ask the dietitian about fasting before your blood tests.
Lack of sleep can also do some really funky stuff to the body so hopefully your sleep will improve soon.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JAD,
I’m sorry for your worries. I am not one to obsess over health, but my boy is. Part of the reason I quit was the middle age creep and a wide variety of symptoms that made me feel “not well”. I realized there were behavioral changes within my control to be made, and lo and behold, without exception, all those nagging issues (weight gain, red face, GI issues (oh my!), insomnia, etc.) have resolved.

I’ve taught my anxious boy that the sure way to reduce health anxiety is to do everything you can to stay healthy. Thankfully he eats right, exercises, and to date has avoided alcohol, drugs and smoking.

I say all that just to bring to your attention that whatever symptoms are plaguing you now, it’s a sure bet that continuing down the path of sobriety will help. This might be the perfect time to turn away from Dr. Google and start to read about recovery strategies that have worked for others. Make this about much more than your current fears...sobriety is a lifestyle choice rooted in self care. Then you are more prepared for whatever comes!
Best,
-bora
Old 11-29-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd speak to my doctor over my podiatrist jad - nothing against podiatrists but its like asking your mechanic if they think your dog is sick.

We can adequately interpret those figures for you either.

Even if some of us have some medical knowledge (I don't) only your doctor knows your full clinical history and state of health.

I have lifelong neuropathy - it can be numbness, pins and needles or very extreme hypersensitivity - sometimes all I need to do is brush something and I'll jump into the roof from the pain response.

I hope your problem,whatever it is, is temporary

D