Notices

Suggested Vitamins & Minerals for Withdrawal?

Old 11-30-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

Withdrawals from alcohol can be lethal. Do not try to be a doctor and attempt to stop any seizure activity (or other detrimental situation) by taking supplements.

Please work with your doctor for a proper medical withdrawal.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Withdrawals from alcohol can be lethal. Do not try to be a doctor and attempt to stop any seizure activity (or other detrimental situation) by taking supplements.

Please work with your doctor for a proper medical withdrawal.
I agree that a better title would have been 'Suggested Vitamins & Minerals for Recovery' would have been a better title, however. Can admin change this for me, if possible, please?

However, I was on day 18 when I wrote the opening post and as far as I am aware - and I desperately hope I am right - there is no chance of me dying from alcohol withdrawal at this stage. I am looking to aid my nervous system as best as I can, though. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Really be careful. I agree, add one at a time and use it for a couple weeks before trying another one. Talk to a pharmacist about drug/supplement interactions and mixing supplements.

There really isn't a shortcut here. Like Dee said, withdrawal and early recovery is uncomfortable for a reason. If there were shortcuts every alcoholic in the world would know about it/them.

I found out through some very expensive DNA testing that my body does not metabolize certain drugs and that was why I was having negative reactions to a lot of drugs. I try not to put anything in my body that isn't food or coffee or tea. I recently had to take tylenol (acetaminophen) and even that worried me. The liver has to process everything I take. I already caused it enough grief from all the alcohol and don't want to stress it any further.

Supplements are unregulated. You have no idea what you're actually taking. Be careful.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Really be careful. I agree, add one at a time and use it for a couple weeks before trying another one. Talk to a pharmacist about drug/supplement interactions and mixing supplements.

There really isn't a shortcut here. Like Dee said, withdrawal and early recovery is uncomfortable for a reason. If there were shortcuts every alcoholic in the world would know about it/them.

I found out through some very expensive DNA testing that my body does not metabolize certain drugs and that was why I was having negative reactions to a lot of drugs. I try not to put anything in my body that isn't food or coffee or tea. I recently had to take tylenol (acetaminophen) and even that worried me. The liver has to process everything I take. I already caused it enough grief from all the alcohol and don't want to stress it any further.

Supplements are unregulated. You have no idea what you're actually taking. Be careful.
The only supplements I will be taking are natural - vitamins, minerals, amino acids and herbal preparations (teas, etc). The only prescription I have been taking is diazepam (valium) and I will check first to ensure there's no negative interaction with it.

I have also ordered carrot juice and concentrated beetroot juice to cleanse my liver. There are a few sites which advocate taking supplements, as the body's reserves are depleted and they are supposed to aid recovery.

In the UK at least manufacturers have to list their ingredients and I am buying my products mostly from Amazon.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, at least go to Examine.com to check their actual efficacy. It's a non-profit, non-affiliated site.

Most of the claims are bogus. I just think we as addicts are always looking for something to put in our body to change how we feel.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, at least go to Examine.com to check their actual efficacy. It's a non-profit, non-affiliated site.

Most of the claims are bogus. I just think we as addicts are always looking for something to put in our body to change how we feel.
Thanks, Bimini! That's a really good website. Rhodiola Rosea:

Rhodiola can improve cognitive functioning in persons who experience a reduction in fatigue, but there is insufficient evidence to support an outright increase in cognition (which should occur in non-fatigued persons) and not enough studies have assessed cognitive decline for conclusions to be made.

Other potential uses of rhodiola include preliminary evidence that it is highly neuroprotective against toxins (requires more evidence) and that ingestion of rhodiola or its active component can reduce stress-induced binge eating in female rats. In the brain, rhodiola appears to be highly serotonergic (increases serotonin) and reduces corticosteroids; the inhibition of monoamine oxidases (MAOs) commonly attributed to rhodiola may not be relevant following oral ingestion of rhodiola, however.
That's one of the benefits I am looking for. I want something natural, as opposed to an SSRI.