Notices

Thanksgiving relapse

Old 11-28-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanksgiving relapse

I was supposed yo go to Mexico and spend Thanksgiving with my husband to visit a friend for the holiday. I got so drunk before boarding the plane that they would not let me board. We chose to come home rather than stay overnight and take another flight. I had slipped and fallen in the airport and cracked my head open. They took me to the ER and of course I got information on alcoholism, along with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Needless to say, I did not make it to Mexico. I am SO disgusted with myself....and talk about "incomprehensive demoralization"!!! My husband has had it. If I don't get sober, I think he will leave me (after 23 years). My girlfriend in Mexico does not want me to come to visit until I am SOBER. Neither does my daughter. I need help from this relapsing!
Old 11-28-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am going to join the November 2019 class and stay connected!
Old 11-28-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Maybe it is better you are detoxing at home than experiencing some sort of emergency in Mexico. This can be the beginning of a permanent recovery--keep reading and posting. Have you thought of going to an AA meeting?
Old 11-28-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your relapse. Did this happen earlier today? Are you home safe now. I am so glad you went to the ER and hopefully you do not have a concussion or head trauma. Please move on for this. Do not let this innocent happen in vain. I have missed a flight for the same reason. I know many who have. It is embarrassing . I am glad in retrospect I did not board and cause a commotion on the flight. People can be put in drunk tanks at the airport. I am glad you were with your family and home safe now. Whats done is done. The good news is you can make a decision to change your situation one day at a time.
Keep close and post often for support.
xo
Old 11-28-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a similar situation, only I was struggling to leave Mexico. I got so drunk I ran barefoot to the gate, they made me do several sobriety tests.....I basically begged them to let me board. You are not alone.

Be thankful to be home and here on SR. I found sobriety and so can you. This never has to be our reality again...ever! Rest and take good care of yourself, get ready to make a plan to stay sober.

Bless you
Old 11-28-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like that was a difficult experience and I hope you have decided to stop drinking for good. You never have to go through something like that again.

What kind of recovery plan do you have, and is there something you can think of to add to it so that you stay sober?
Old 11-28-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back TA.

D
Old 11-28-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Please do not drink and make your traumatic brain injury worse.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow that sounds like it sucked big time. Dont beat yourself up. Remember thats the kind of sh@t. Us boozers do. Ready to throw the towel in? Ok then moving forward. Lets get you back in shape my friend so you can get back on your journey. ✌
Old 11-29-2019, 04:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

glad you told us.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That sounds like a horrible experience. Like the rest of us, you probably need to commit to nary a drink for the rest of your life. In my case these sorts of situations kept getting worse as I continued drinking, although yours is beyond anything I managed to do to myself.

Do you want to quit for good, or do you think you can moderate your drinking? Do you have a plan to solve this problem?
Old 11-29-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know that I cannot moderate. It's almost as if I TRY to moderate, and then get sh*t faced. I HAVE to accept this as a disease, that I have carried all of my adult life, Putting together (initially) with 9 yrs, then 7 years, and then 4 years...all with the help of AA. I wanna go back, but I am so embarrassed,humiliated, etc. Need to find a homegroup in which I can identify with....and move on. I HAVE TO BE DONE!
Old 11-29-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The embarrassment and humiliation you feel is a trademark of this disease. It's how it keeps us hooked. Try to set the negative emotions aside, and do what you need to do to regain your sobriety.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am going to do it!
Old 11-29-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
I am going to do it!
Yes you are! one day at a time. You are not alone.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Trudging - There's no doubt you can get free and heal from this. You never have to return to the misery and doubt of a drinking life. "I am going to do it!" - that's exactly what I said the last time I drank after being sober 3 yrs. - and I never drank again. It's been nearly 12 yrs. You will succeed.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you....this is it!
Old 11-30-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great ! How are you feeling today? You sound positive and working on your sobriety. You can make this last Thanksgiving when the miracle "happened" and venture on a new healthy sober journey.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Trudging - Sorry to hear about the relapse. You can do it... Join me and let's both commit to make this the start of no relapse permanent success in chasing away the demon. I too relapsed on the Holiday. Not at the airport but non the less... drank. Today is a new day 1 for me.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Aa was helpful for you before, get back there!

Any embarrassment you feel going back to AA is going to come from inside you.

People will welcome you back. Everyone there has been in their own "bad situation," they are not going to judge yours. I don't think anybody enters AA because they are on a winning streak.