Notices

Thanksgiving relapse

Old 12-04-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Yes, Lipstuck....as I said, I am not an AA fan.....I still feel the same way. I'm going to stick with SR. AA is too "cult-like" to me...and yes, Dreamcatcher...I AM DOING THIS For ME! Did it before with SR and stayed sober....I CAN/WILL do it again. AA is not or everyone....
Old 12-04-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

My computer is "in the shop", so I am using my husband's. Just an FYI in case I am not as active in posting, but I will try!
Old 12-04-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Do you want to be sober?
Do you want to be able to have just a couple and stop?
I think examining this is a good idea.
^
This. If there's even a fraction of a chance it's the latter, you're probably going to need more than SR, especially at this time of year. (And this is not coming from an AA person. I got sober because I knew I could absolutely never drink again and I didn't experience any events even close to what you described in your initial post)
Old 12-04-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no problem with you just using SR trudgingagain but just SR alone doesn't seemed to have worked for you all that well recently.

I think that's where the well meaning push from other members to other methods is coming from.

There are other methods besides AA that you can explore if you have the motivation.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...formation.html (Recovery Programs and Resources Information)

have you any thoughts yet on how'll you stop what happened on Thanksgiving from happening again?

D
Old 12-06-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee...I am exploring AVRT and SMART
Old 12-06-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I did a lot of "looking into" things....and kept drinking. I haven't met anyone excited to go to AA, and I sure didn't want to...had all kinds of objections based in pretty much one fact: I wanted to keep drinking (and not have any consequences).

Until I stopped equivocating and qualifying my plan, I wasn't going to get sober and stay in recovery.

And, what DC said.

I'm not being hard on you, and I don't think anyone else is either. Just speaking for me, when I see someone who has a history of sobriety AND relapse, and shares horrific things as well as ultimatums from people close to you, like your friend....who then start wiggling with words and plans in just a few days....all my radar is on alert that they aren't ready.

That part is completely up to you.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am not drinking...nor am I "planning my next relapse". THIS TIME I AM GETTING SOBER FOR ME!
Old 12-07-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Sticking close to SR multiple times a day was critical for me in early Sobriety. If you have not done so already, join the December class. Joining the November 2018 class was the difference maker for me.

I also highly recommend reading "This Naked Mind" by Annie Grace. The book teaches us how to change our subconscious thoughts about alcohol.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rd2quit View Post
Sticking close to SR multiple times a day was critical for me in early Sobriety. If you have not done so already, join the December class. Joining the November 2018 class was the difference maker for me.

I also highly recommend reading "This Naked Mind" by Annie Grace. The book teaches us how to change our subconscious thoughts about alcohol.
I just ordered this book! I look forward to reading it.