Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend - Weekenders 29 November - 02 December 2019

Notices

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend - Weekenders 29 November - 02 December 2019

Old 11-28-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks Bim and Ann for the Ode to Joy video. Loved the way they started with the single musician and the others came along and joined in, made the anticipation even better
I bet it was great for the people there, watching/listening live.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It was professionally filmed and staged. The little girl in the beginning of that video started the cellist when she plunked a coin into the hat. I'm sure she was part of the gig. It's a really well planned flashmob and film.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks Snoozy

Wow Bim!
That was fabulous, brought tears to my eyes.

Speaking of which, since I stopped drinking last May, I’ve cried more times than I have in my entire life I’m sure. I know part of that is because I lost my parents which was devastating, but it’s more than that. I cry at emotional things that aren’t just sad or grief related. I never used to cry much. Never at happy emotional things, only extremely sad things. I used to think I couldn’t cry. I never cried at weddings or even funerals. Until I got sober and lost my parents soon after. I think that 35 years of drinking deadened my emotions so much that I just didn’t feel things intensely. Now it seems like I cry all the time. Well not all the time, but at lots of things, including emotionally moving movies, songs, and yes flash mobs! I think my feelings are coming back after35 years of squashing them down
Old 11-28-2019, 01:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It's Berry Gordy's 90th birthday today

Here's one of my favourite Motown artists performing one of my favourite songs. Marvin was one of us too.
https://youtu.be/fPkM8F0sjSw
Old 11-28-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Evening weekenders - I'm in!

Thanks Mags for the thread and Happy Thanksgiving to those over the pond. Gratitude for the small things in life is certainly something I try to embrace. Sometimes I just feel lucky to be here at all...

I've just watched an hour long interview with Elton John on BBC 1. His tale of recovery was inspiring. He spent his first 12 months after rehab 'doing what he was told' and doing everything to avoid relapse. The second year was spent finding himself, his higher power and his purpose. Really worth a watch on iPlayer if you can get it:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ohn-uncensored

In other news, I met with my recovery counsellor this week for a review and all is going well. She asked me whether SR could help one of her other clients and I assured her that it would. We also discussed preparing for Christmas - I'm hoping that it will be easier for me this year.

Anyway, well done Willow and warm wishes to all as always.

Forwards.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Bim, wow it was lovely watching flashmob. I’ve seen similar in shopping centres but dancing not musicians. I’ll see if I can find one on YouTube.

Willow, I’m the same! Tears well up if I see a cute advert. For me I thought it was the menopause, though stopping drinking does bring feelings back that I’ve squashed all my life. I’m almost human now.

Andy, loved your pic. :’

Asthma’s been playing up all week, it seemed better yesterday afternoon only to be not good this morning. I have my rescue meds (steroids) if it gets past a certain point. Monitoring it well.

So glad I don’t drink though, I think if I hadn’t had my wits about me when I was having asthma attacks, because of drinking, I’d have been dead by now. It’s a sobering thought.

Being sober just isn’t good for the body, but the mind too.

Happy Friday, let’s go into the weekend sober. x
Old 11-29-2019, 01:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!

Count me in for my 156th consecutive sober weekend!
Old 11-29-2019, 02:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

156 CK ? Wow, that's alot of sober weekends

I was just looked up Canadian Koala the other day, I hadn't realised it's a support group for koalas. I thought it was just your sense of humour.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

CK that’s an awesome number of consecutive weekends! Way to go!

Friday night here and I’m off to bed. I didn’t realise it as I was walking this morning, but I got a bit sun burnt, not badly but I think it’s making me really tired. I had a busy day though so that’s probably part of it too. I just feel exhausted and it’s just after 8.30pm lol. So it’s off to bed for me

We’re going for a drive up to the rainforest tomorrow, a few hours from where we live, so I’m looking forward to a lovely day walking in the forest. It’s so revitalising to go up the mountains and breathe fresh forest air ❤️
Happy Friday and Goodnight everyone
Old 11-29-2019, 02:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Bim, wow it was lovely watching flashmob. I’ve seen similar in shopping centres but dancing not musicians. I’ll see if I can find one on YouTube.
Imagine this happening with you cup of coffee

https://youtu.be/SXh7JR9oKVE
Old 11-29-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Although a much simplified version, Ode to Joy was the very first song I learned when very young on the Yamaha Electone.

My parents bought one and it came with free lessons.

I just had to look it up....

https://youtu.be/qCME6ys6IFU
Old 11-29-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sao, love that Marvin Gaye song. He was an attractive young man. That took me right back to the turbulent 60s.

I'm so cabin feverish. I've been staying quiet indoors trying to break this cold and sinus infection. Pretty tired of my own company, to be honest. I don't even want to go to the zoo because there are too many little kids there with their germs! I'm starting to see some improvement in symptoms, so I don't think it's gonna kill me.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Magsie

CK Congratulations on 156 consecutive weekends!

harriett, lovely singing. I’ve never seen anything entertaining whilst having a cuppa. Though when I was having coffee in Covent Gardens many years ago, there was plenty of music from buskers about the place.

Glad you’re feeling a bit better Bim, the gorillas will be missing you.

The sun’s out. Yaaay.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by harriet11 View Post
156 CK ? Wow, that's alot of sober weekends

I was just looked up Canadian Koala the other day, I hadn't realised it's a support group for koalas. I thought it was just your sense of humour.

I don't know that either. Well done CK and for 156 sober weekends.

Yeah bim, Marv's the man.

Enjoy the rainforest Willow.

Nearly hometime here and most people have plans but the trains are seriously disrupted to to a " terror incident" at London Bridge. Tch!
Old 11-29-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

^ thoughts, saoutchik
Old 11-29-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Nearly hometime here and most people have plans but the trains are seriously disrupted to to a " terror incident" at London Bridge. Tch!
I had to divert myself around London Bridge on the way home, but back safely now.

there was a lovely thin crescent moon in the darkening dusk sky as I was walking back from my local station.

hope everyone is doing well & made it through Thanksgiving intact. stick close to the thread if you're struggling & stay safe this weekend.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

We had sunshine today, so much nicer but very cold.

Nice to see you Forwards, always good to read your updates.

Willow the Rain Forest sounds beautiful, I love nature. I hope you take some pictures.

Bim I hope you feel better soon. If not you might have to take some antibiotics. I know you don't want to, but sometimes needs must.

I always wanted a electric keyboard when I was young. That Yamaha looks impressive STDragon.

Mags sorry your Asthma is playing up again. I hope you it isn't too bad, must be horrible. Hope you don't need the steroids.

Sao I hadn't heard about the attack on London Bridge until you mentioned it. Awful for those involved, seems reports are a bit muddled at the mo. I hope it doesn't take you too long to get home.

Glad you got home safely Andy.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

ugh. I wish I hadn't Googled that London Bridge thing.

Warning for anyone who is bothered by violence, don't go looking for it.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Attacking innocent people sucks, attacking anyone sucks, but moreso innocent lives.

Asthma can be exhausting Mags- prayers it settles quickly.

Apparently I must have menopause too- especially being teary when Xmas ads come on. What will never be perhaps....oh well, I am all growed up now - at least to the stage that I know what NOT to do. The rest- I make up as I fumble through life.

I just randomly wondered if Mr google had anything on space hippos.

Old 11-29-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

PJ

I just watched a really good Netflix short series (like 10 episodes I think...20 minutes each or thereabouts) that is named, "One Year In Space." It was very good if anyone is looking for something.

Now I'm stuck into, "The Curse of Oak Island," which is fascinating - a real life treasure hunting story. I think it's 13 episodes, longer ones, like 45 minutes each.

I have decided this is the last day I'm spending doing nothing. Tomorrow I'm back out into the world. The internet is not really that much fun when it's all I do for the whole day.

There are a few singletons in this thread, hang with us for the single holidays.