SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   NO desire to Drink (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/443679-no-desire-drink.html)

faith823 11-26-2019 05:03 PM

NO desire to Drink

WOW earlier this morning. I really almost gave into my craving.
I am so glad I did not. I am very grateful I asked for help and got through it. Currently at this moment in time- The thought of drinking does not appeal to me.

Thank you everyone- I appreciate all the support.
Another Sober day. Going to bed soon and I will wake up to day 32!
:herewego

Auchieshuggle 11-26-2019 05:06 PM

Good stuff! Are you able to determine what exactly caused the change in your mind set?

faith823 11-26-2019 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle (Post 7318784)
Good stuff! Are you able to determine what exactly caused the change in your mind set?

I think by not giving in to the craving right away. Posting here. Thinking it through after time elapsed and visualizing how I would actually physically/emotionally feel with the alcohol in my system.

Going to relish no desire- my state of mind can change in an instant tomorrow.
:thanks

Auchieshuggle 11-26-2019 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by faith823 (Post 7318809)
I think by not giving in to the craving right away. Posting here. Thinking it through after time elapsed and visualizing how I would actually physically/emotionally feel with the alcohol in my system.

:thanks

That's excellent! You know you can overcome your desire, and you're developing the tools to do so.

DontRemember 11-26-2019 06:15 PM

Whenever the thought (s) enter your mind, just read the day one/zeros on here . That or call someone that knows what you're going through and how to get past it and start actually doing something productive. It's literally only a few minutes,most times,that the 'thought' lasts. Urge surfing is a common term.

HeadEast 11-26-2019 06:29 PM

Faith, you are awesome!

DriGuy 11-26-2019 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by faith823 (Post 7318809)

Maybe, but you got a taste of what it's like not to be craving. For me, it was very liberating, and inspired me to keep fighting, and things started happening fast after I got my first taste of not wanting to drink. And the fighting cravings part went away altogether.

In getting over any addiction, I think this is the way it happens. You fight the cravings until they go away, and as long as you don't pick up, you don't have cravings (aren't addicted) anymore.

We add that you must do more in recovery, and I agree with that, but it's kind of a no brainer. Doing more, which to me is growing as a person, is something you should do regardless of your addiction. Granted many people don't actually grow in this way. They just get bigger in size. But all this extra work in recovery isn't some extra burden that only recovering alcoholics have to do because of previous addiction. It's just learning to do what healthy people have to learn to do.

Dee74 11-26-2019 07:01 PM

good for you Faith :)

D