SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Want to drink (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/443650-want-drink.html)

tonisherrell 11-25-2019 12:57 PM

Want to drink

Loss my job, my dog died, and I sit here in the house staring at the floor. I dont know what to do, but all i keep thinking is that a drink wont be to bad right now.

Dee74 11-25-2019 01:20 PM

Hi Toni I'm really sorry for the lossof your dog and and for the loss of your job too.

I'm really glad you posted here first tho - please go back and read some of your old threads. You'll see that drinking has never helped you one bit and it has made things worse in the past.

Its tough when bad things happen but you're not alone - lean on us :)

D

doggonecarl 11-25-2019 01:20 PM

The journey to recovery usually starts when we are at our lowest. Sounds like you are ready for those first steps.

Bonniefloyd 11-25-2019 01:23 PM

Man, that sucks. I’m really sorry you’re going through all that. Especially losing your dog. That’s just awful.

Of course drinking won’t help your situation. Maybe you’d feel better for a very short while, but when its over, your problems would still be there, and you’d possibly have a hangover.

Is there anything you can do to take your mind off drinking?

Lisalily 11-25-2019 01:24 PM

I’m so sorry for your hardships!! A drink will
make it worse. Go to sleep, go get fast food, order a pizza, watch tv, watch YouTube, yell, take a hot shower, take a walk, text a friend, call a friend. Make cookies and eat the dough. Post here, read here. You can make it through today without a drink. If you’re feeling like chugging something, i love to drink sparkling water

DriGuy 11-25-2019 01:26 PM

I'm sorry about your dog. They are special companions.

least 11-25-2019 01:27 PM

I'm sorry you lost your job, and worse, your dog. :( You know that drinking won't make things better, and will actually make them worse. I hope you won't drink. :hug:

ShiftHappens 11-25-2019 01:37 PM

I just lost my dog William and felt totally numb and dead.

Glad I was able to be there for him and have my wits about me but Im not feeling good at all.

No desire to drink though. Its pointless.

im so sorry we eventually we have to let them go. I try to focus on the time we had and be grateful.

AnvilheadII 11-25-2019 01:43 PM

so what ELSE might you do to cope that does not involve pouring poison down your throat? by now you know with absolute certainty that drinking fixes nothing, improves nothing, relieves nothing. it only leads to continued catastrophic life events.

so again, what are other things you could do right now as you sit with uncomfortable feelings?

ShiftHappens 11-25-2019 01:56 PM

I read somewhere that to live well we must learn to grieve well.

Besides no way was I disrespecting William with a pity party.

I just let myself be sad. Im still sad. Kind of normal when we lose something we love.

Houstin 11-25-2019 02:32 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/hSF9ts...HsYh/giphy.gif

AAPJ 11-25-2019 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by tonisherrell (Post 7317805)
Loss my job, my dog died, and I sit here in the house staring at the floor. I dont know what to do, but all i keep thinking is that a drink wont be to bad right now.

I lost my job too a while back. I knew it was coming. Our company was bought by a bigger company and job elimination was part of their plan. Try getting another good paying job when you are in your late 50s. HaHa; not. Anyway unlike prior terminations I went to my home group AA meeting the day I got laid off instead of getting drunk. So the next morning I woke up without:

1 a job
2 a hangover

I could only control one of these and I felt good with my choice. I hope you feel OK with whatever choice you make.

faith823 11-25-2019 02:54 PM

Very sorry about the loss of your Dog.
If you drink it will just amplify the grief and your well being.
There is a higher power that connected you with your doggie.
Energy does not die. Please take care of yourself your dog is with you in spirit. I really wanted to drink today too. I myself lost my job and am looking for a new one. It has been really tough.
I read through hangover /withdrawal symptoms online and it deterred me . I could physically feel the pain. Sweat/throbbing head/anxiety/grief/nausea/shakiness/weakness/racing heart/bloated red face and doom. I have 30 days sober and I have worked very hard at obtaining these alcohol free days.
I am so sorry again for your loss. I can relate. Naturally feel the love you had for him/her. Feel their presence routing you on. I will pray for you. Hopefully we are both employed in 2020 with quality sobriety. Both glad we got through these times Sober
:grouphug:

Zebra1275 11-25-2019 03:01 PM

As I'm sure you know, drinking won't bring back either of the things you lost.

But if you do drink, you might lose even more (for me the first thing to go would be self respect).

gypsytears 11-25-2019 03:02 PM

Sorry for your loss. Both. It’s horrible I know. I also know that drinking won’t help.

Kaily 11-26-2019 08:51 AM

Hi Toni so sorry for the loss of your dog, I know how heart breaking it is. I also hope you find another job very soon. Double whammy.

Drinking won't help, we wouldn't be here on Sober Recovery if alcohol worked for us.

Dee74 11-26-2019 07:13 PM

How are things toni? did you toss out that brandy?

D

bexxed 11-27-2019 05:39 AM

Grieving is in many ways, I think, a search for peace. I never was able to find peace in a bottle, but did find it when I stopped looking for it there. I hope you can make that same choice.

So sorry for the loss of your dog.