Notices

Hitting rock bottom!

Old 11-26-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Reminds me that I hit a rock bottom at 11 yrs sober--I was dry as can be--with little spiritual recovery and ended up in a locked ward. My ego wants to call it a nervous breakdown but in reality, I had switched from booze to an eating disorder which brought me to my knees in the fall of 1996 or 1997.

Humbling but necessary. When I got out, I started over 'like a newcomer' re-dedicating myself to sobriety and the 12 Step way of life.

Soooo worth it! Good luck and God speed to you Auchie.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ringo123 View Post
Reminds me that I hit a rock bottom at 11 yrs sober--I was dry as can be--with little spiritual recovery and ended up in a locked ward. My ego wants to call it a nervous breakdown but in reality, I had switched from booze to an eating disorder which brought me to my knees in the fall of 1996 or 1997.

Humbling but necessary. When I got out, I started over 'like a newcomer' re-dedicating myself to sobriety and the 12 Step way of life.

Soooo worth it! Good luck and God speed to you Auchie.

Thank you! I will do the steps...in fact the pastor I have been talking to has told me that it's like a condensed form of Christianity, and even says everybody should do a lot of the steps. God bless you, too.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
I am getting to the nearest shop and back again. I tried to go a bit further on Thursday, but suffered a panic attack. I am feeling less anxious overall now, so I hope that I will be able to overcome this. However I have read that anxiety from withdrawal can last for weeks, so I am not going to push it too much yet. But yes, ultimately I will have to confront my fears. Thanks for asking!
Great news, Auchie!.

I had a panic attack in a meeting that i had been bused to (on the "druggie buggie") while I was in treatment.

My counselor went outside with me and talked me off the cliff, so to speak.

It hasn't happened again.

I also had phobias about driving at night, driving across bridges and driving on interstates.

Those, too, relented over a period of time.

BTW, you have quite a way with words.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Great news, Auchie!.

I had a panic attack in a meeting that i had been bused to (on the "druggie buggie") while I was in treatment.

My counselor went outside with me and talked me off the cliff, so to speak.

It hasn't happened again.

I also had phobias about driving at night, driving across bridges and driving on interstates.

Those, too, relented over a period of time.

BTW, you have quite a way with words.
Thank you! It's reassuring to read that your phobias diminished over time. I have had a palpitation today, which panicked me a bit, but I think it might be related to lack of sleep and nicotine/alcohol withdrawal.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't "agree" or use the phrase rock bottom. It can be such a deceptive idea, and truly an internal "rock bottom" is what each of us must have to want to be sober more than we drink. I believe - and have seen many times- that the idea of "losing" things can mean just that, or it can me "not gaining" what we could have in life, relationships, work, everything, if we had been sober.

Whatever phrasing works, we all know we need to get and stay sober.