Notices

Day 50 but can’t celebrate

Old 11-24-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 50 but can’t celebrate

I’m so annoyed with myself, my doctor...everything. Today is Day 50. I should be happy and celebrating that. Instead I’m full of anxiety and struggling to get off of this benzo, Librium. As some of you know my anxiety was really bad in the very early days of sobriety. All health related, resulting in multiple Er and doctor visits. So my gp told me to regularly take the Librium I had from my alcohol withdrawal. Refilled my script. I don’t want to be on these anymore, and all I read is horror story after horror story so that’s not helping. I’m about 80hrs off of these. I feel worse than I did before and just want to be done and have some sort of a normal life. Things have just gone downhill since quitting drinking.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I’m sorry you’re feeling like this. I don’t have personal experience with taking Librium but a quick search & some reading indicates that what you’re experiencing is normal. Obviously we can’t give medical advice but My suggestion is to go to the ER if you’re feeling really badly. Calling your gp ASAP is also prudent. Congrats on 50 days off alcohol. Do something nice to celebrate even if you’re not feeling like it. It might help lighten your mood. Hang in there!
Old 11-24-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. Both my gp and psychiatrist know that I am coming off of these. Gp gave me beta blockers so if the anxiety gets so bad that I’m panicking I can take one. It is helpful knowing I have that. I just feel stupid that I basically replaced alcohol with alcohol in pill form. And under the supervision of my doctor! I really wish I had researched it more. But this is where I am now and I can’t do much about it but ride it out. It’s supposed to be worse than alcohol withdrawal so hopefully I survive it.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

What I’ve read says the withdrawals can be similar to alcohol withdrawal. Since your gp is aware of your history it’s still worth a call if not an office visit for reassurance. In my (un)limited experience you’re just about past the worst as I’ve read up to 7 days. You’re almost there . I don’t know if you do meetings but maybe hit one today or spend some time with friends. Even though you might not feel great you’re doing a good work staying sober’
Old 11-24-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry you are going through this experience.
I have only been on librium short term in a detox.
I know I slept an awful lot and still felt anxious after five
days in detox. I hope you can nurture yourself and rest.
I am sure you will start to feel better this week. Keep at the forefront
of your mind you have 50 days sober. You are clearing your body of the benzos and you will never have to go through this again.
Positive thoughts are key. Redirect your thinking whenever possible.
I have 30 days sober today- I am on a ssri which helps with the anxiety.
I am just so grateful I am sober and not waking up to the fact that I need to stop drinking...and all the feelings associated with it.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no personal experience but I know this is not the best things are going to get Jaz - keep pushing through - things are bound to improve

D
Old 11-24-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Hey just keep going take one day at a time. I am on day 103 and things do get better, your not far behind me.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All of the comments on this thread were from yesterday, so I hope you are feeling better. There is a reason why benzo withdrawl is so hard for so many people!!!